Gransnet forums

Chat

I miss the profiles

(57 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Thu 12-Dec-19 17:01:26

Sometimes when I read a comment from someone it would be incredibly useful to know their age group ( not an exact age but something like 50's or 70's or even 20's ) and even whereabouts in the world they are.

It would help me understand where they are coming from and from what era and understand their point of view better.

I know most of us opted out of profiles when the press started naming posters as they lifted quotes from the site ( and I'm not even sure if you CAN have a profile now) but does anyone else see where I'm coming from and either agree or disagree?

If you disagree , would you share why so I can try and understand the pros and cons?

SalsaQueen Sat 14-Dec-19 22:44:33

lovebeigecardigans1955 If you fancy it, some of us are planning to meet up in January, in Nottingham city centre.

Marydoll Sun 15-Dec-19 07:22:56

Greyduster, apologies for misrepresenting you.
I do have an image of you wearing some sort of headgear.
Perhaps I have dreamt it it all!!!!!!

Greyduster Mon 16-Dec-19 08:55:27

Mary absolutely no apology needed. You probably saw a photo of me wearing my Tilley hat on a fishing trip. I left berets behind when I left the Army! I have hated them ever since. When they were new, they sat on your head like a pancake, so it was the “thing” (although strictly speaking not allowed) to soak them, shape them to your head and allow them to dry in that shape. If they weren’t quite dry when you wore them the leather band could leave a dye mark around your forehead! Then you were in for it!!?

Urmstongran Mon 16-Dec-19 09:12:37

I joined only a couple or 3 years ago. Before the profiles.

I didn't realise the profiles had been disabled. I deleted mine when the panic started

What was ‘the panic’??

Marydoll Mon 16-Dec-19 09:22:32

I think it's all to do with GDPR Urmonstongran.
Some posters had a fair bit of personal info, but everything had to be updated in line with GDPR guidelines.
I suspect it was easier just to do away with profiles.

I was involved in some GDPR stuff and it was quite complicated, I hated having to deal with it.

TwinLolly Tue 17-Dec-19 21:34:24

I'm also a 'shorty' - 4"9' (just under 1.5 metres). At least my husband loves me the way that I am and I see life from a different perspective, sometimes at waist level! Ehm.blush

I have a great sense of humour, if not a bit 'mad/crazy/daft/black' but that's me!

I'm a laid back person, not an 'angry shorty'. However I do get the 'hump' if I can't find clothes or shoes to fit me. My feet are a diddy size UK 2, EU 34 and shopping in the kiddies department has its benefits but not all the time. Nice pair of heels? Nope. Nice evening dress? Nope...?

I'm a cat lover - even if I end up with hayfever because of their fur... Love the outdoors and go around in flip flops whenever I can (even in winter - yes MAD!!?).