Gransnet forums

Chat

Election Results ending the uncertainty

(44 Posts)
Tmeadow2 Fri 13-Dec-19 11:10:33

Woke up to a miserable day here in Abergele. Delighted with the election news. Hope we can all move on now and talk about something other than ‘BREXIT’ sick of hearing about it.
House hunting after obtaining an offer on our house. Let the hunt continue today.

BlueSapphire Sat 14-Dec-19 09:09:05

I too am a happy bunny, and am pleased to be joining most of you above in saying it.

GrannyLaine Sat 14-Dec-19 09:20:25

I voted as I did because I saw it as the only possible way to end the deadlock and uncertainty which would have ensued. Boris has his faults but as others have said, he has an ability to persevere against the odds and achieve what is deemed to be impossible. There was a humility in his speech yesterday that I found very refreshing

JenniferEccles Sat 14-Dec-19 09:39:10

It has just struck me how nice it is to feel in tune with the majority of the country after this result.

Reading GN over the past months really made me wonder how I could apparently be so out of tune with so many voicing their support for a Momentum led IRA/terrorist supporting Marxist Labour Party.

I was completely amazed at the support Corbyn and the equally awful McDonnell seemed to have here especially as we are ladies of a certain age who have experience of the hard Left from the 70s.

Of course a lot of it was from the same names posting thread after thread every day.

Oh well sanity prevailed didn’t it??

mcem Sat 14-Dec-19 09:55:57

Johnson's speech encompassing healing and humility reminded me of Thatcher's quotes from the St Francis of Assisi prayer - and look where that got us.
Just another hypocrite who'll say anything to cover both his tracks and his intentions!

GrannyLaine Sat 14-Dec-19 10:08:58

@mcem, I was referring to his comment about people "lending" him their vote and their hesitation in casting that vote. That is not hypocrisy, that is humility.

Alexa Sat 14-Dec-19 10:12:30

Do you believe Brexit problems will no longer exist as from Friday 13th of December ?

Hetty58 Sat 14-Dec-19 10:12:42

I thought that:

'you may only have lent us your vote'

was very pertinent. Many Brexit supporters, who normally would have voted Labour, were deeply unhappy with the second vote idea. Loads of us (from all parties) thoroughly sick of all the arguing, inaction and uncertainty, that's for sure.

Alexa Sat 14-Dec-19 10:23:18

GrannyLaing.Pol Pot, Stalin, and Hitler also persevered.

As for former Labour voters giving Right Wing Johnson their trust, Johnson will need a lot of willingness and change to his policy to make life better for impoverished former Labour voters. Why so hopeful?

GrannyLaine Sat 14-Dec-19 10:47:42

@Alexa because that's the way I am. Better to light a small candle than to do nothing but curse the darkness.

Greyduster Sat 14-Dec-19 11:08:20

Well said, GrannyLaine.

JenniferEccles Sat 14-Dec-19 11:08:59

Impoverished ?

Oh I guess you mean that unemployed family with SEVEN kids expecting others to pay for their children’s Christmas presents?

Greta Sat 14-Dec-19 11:23:27

GrannyLaine : ”I was referring to his comment about people "lending" him their vote and their hesitation in casting that vote. That is not hypocrisy, that is humility.”

But that is not our Prime Minister speaking. That is the ventriloquist Dominic Cummings. Boris Johnson is just his puppet.

Oopsminty Sat 14-Dec-19 11:28:10

Boris Johnson has been a journalist for years.

Don't think he needs any help in writing speeches

Hetty58 Sat 14-Dec-19 11:28:35

The Civil Service run our country anyway. I can't fathom why people vote for a personality instead of a party that represents their beliefs and opinions.

GrannyLaine Sat 14-Dec-19 11:35:57

I'm sure many of us on GN find it extremely tiring and actually quite insulting, when any spark of hope for the future is somehow construed as a lack of any political (or human) understanding. I have spent my adult life caring for the sick and needy when people have needed it most. It has not prevented me from seeing what is good in the world.

grannysyb Sat 14-Dec-19 13:50:49

Read that a civil servant told a journalist that Boris writes his own speeches.

Alexa Fri 20-Dec-19 09:05:19

GrannyLaine, a hopeful man may also see the evil which abounds.

mcem Fri 20-Dec-19 12:46:35

JenniferE my comment on 14/12 @ 08.55 voices my concern about my DD.
I am more interested in hard facts than some sensational headline anecdote about undeserving scroungers.
However given your views you no doubt will label her as just another scrounger!