Gransnet forums

Chat

flushing toilet in the middle of the night

(89 Posts)
infoman Sat 14-Dec-19 06:27:22

We have never flushed the toilet in the middle of the night unless its necessary.
We been trying to save the Worlds resources for a very long time, apart from the noise that flushing and the filling up creates.
Now we live in a bungalow,we still carry on the practice.
Do others not flush in the middle of the night or are we the only ones.

Cabbie21 Sat 14-Dec-19 10:00:38

We don’t flush in the night. The loo does get more stained though as a result.

jura2 Sat 14-Dec-19 10:01:19

Don't flush during night unless absolutely necessary ...

This thread really made me laugh, because expats in Switzerland are constantly complaining about the rule not to flush during night ... Most people live in apartments, and especially with older ones- insulation is not great- so it is considered socially unacceptable to flush after 10pm and before 6/7 am.

timetogo2016 Sat 14-Dec-19 10:06:01

Nope unless we have to of course.

Alexa Sat 14-Dec-19 10:09:28

Infoman, thank you for the good advice which I will happily take. Well said!

Lona Sat 14-Dec-19 10:11:41

I'm on a meter so, same as Marmight. I only shower when I have to wash my hair, and I collect the run off cold water in a jug to use for watering plants.
Saves water and money.

PageTurner Sat 14-Dec-19 11:18:21

We don't flush at night unless it's absolutely necessary.

MissAdventure Sat 14-Dec-19 11:25:50

I don't always flush during the day if I'm here on my own.

Obviously not the whole day, but maybe every second or third use.

Thingmajig Sat 14-Dec-19 11:50:21

We have a little en-suite shower room and don't flush in the night really just because it's so noisy. If the need arises I go upstairs and flush to my hearts content there. grin

SueDonim Sat 14-Dec-19 12:45:16

Flushing is such an automatic reaction for me that often I’ve flushed the loo even when I’ve told myself I won’t! confused Our loo isn’t very noisy, though, and in Scotland we have an abundance of water.

kircubbin2000 Sat 14-Dec-19 12:47:22

I dont get why flushing at night is different to during the day unless you are likely to wake someone. I dont like to waste water so only flush when necessary.

kircubbin2000 Sat 14-Dec-19 12:49:40

Macerator? What on earth is that?

SueDonim Sat 14-Dec-19 13:33:25

Thanks to this thread, I’ve just used my loo that is broken! grin The handle came off about ten days ago and dh can’t fix it so we’re waiting for the plumber to get a bit.

I’ve managed to remember not to use the loo for the past ten days but after my last post, I trotted off and went straight in there. It wasn’t until I actually went to flush that I remembered the handle was missing, so I had to take the lid off the cistern and fiddle about with the insides to make it work. gringrin

Joelsnan Sat 14-Dec-19 13:36:44

Dont flush if its only a wee or two. But would do if it was a poo. I cant remember having to poo in the night.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 14-Dec-19 13:55:18

I have never flushed at night. We were brought up not to, as the upstairs bathroom was adjacent to our parents' bedroom.

As a teenager I tried desperately to be the first into the bathroom in the morning when I had a period, as the thought of the entire family seeing the condition of the bowl embarrassed me.

endlessstrife Sat 14-Dec-19 14:31:22

This is weird! We were having this conversation less than a week ago, with our daughter and fiancé. We have started flushing more since we got new toilets that put a beaker full of water down. Even the long flushes are too short most of the time! However, for the last thirty years, we’ve been very diligent about our use of water, only flushing straight away if it’s brown?! because of droughts etc. Usually what happens at night, is if one of us gets up, the other usually wakes, so we flush then. I don’t really like it sitting in the bowl at night, because we don’t have bathroom window open. In the evening, watching tv, we can go several times in the downstairs toilet, but just flush when we go to bed!

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 14:34:00

Not only do we not flush, we do not turn the light on either. The bathroom door is directly opposite the bedroom door and about 5 foot away.

That way we do not even wake when we go to the loo in the night, so no long wakeful sessions trying to get back to sleep.

BlueBelle Sat 14-Dec-19 14:41:41

Gosh never heard of this what’s different from night to day
I flush every time I go if there’s a family going to the loo in the night isn’t it smelly by morning

Armynanny Sat 14-Dec-19 17:10:47

Don’t flush at night either. Also share bath water- have done for past 39 years when there was a water shortage. I always go in the bath first though.

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 18:14:23

Bluebelle No, we do it, and no lights, to make sure that the effort to make the visit wakes us as little as possible so that we quickly get back to sleep.

If I turned on all the lights, flushed the loo etc I wouldn't get back to sleep for an hour and if it was after 4.00am I wouldn't get back to sleep at all.

endlessstrife Sat 14-Dec-19 18:59:56

Definitely don’t put any lights on, have been known to nod back off whilst still on the toilet!

annep1 Sat 14-Dec-19 19:13:33

Only if essential and we don't put the light on either in case we waken each other up.
Loo never stains. We clean it first thing.
Its also a waste of water.
We flush during the day.

Septimia Sat 14-Dec-19 20:52:47

We only flush when necessary when at home (bit different when staying with family). We're also on a meter so want to save money as well as water.

As for getting up in the night, one of us nearly always does - at which point, the other says 'Leave the light on!'

BBbevan Sun 15-Dec-19 19:20:07

Well I never!
I was telling a neighbour about this thread. She said that as she visits the bathroom several times a night, when she visits friends or family , she takes a plastic jug . ( can you see where this is going?) If she needs a wee in the night, she goes to the bathroom, uses the jug and pours contents down the sink. A silent visit !!

Maggiemaybe Mon 16-Dec-19 05:47:45

Oh! Halfway through your post I was thinking what a good idea, but I’d assumed you were going to say she fills the jug from the tap afterwards and pours it into the loo to flush away what’s in there (quietly)....

BlueBelle Mon 16-Dec-19 06:19:18

Me too maggiemaybe ??
monica I live alone so don’t wake anyone? I don’t put lights on as without my contacts in I can’t see anything anyway?
To be honest I m not too worried one wee a night will cause much difference to my water meter price I suppose it’s habit Ive just always flushed after using the loo whether wee or poo

When it comes to the environment I’d rather have one or two flushes a night than all the massive buildings that are lit up like Christmas trees now there does lie a huge problem We as a nation must waste millions on all the buildings fully lit I might start a thread on that It’s awful