Gransnet forums

Chat

Good morning Sunday on Micheal’s behalf

(78 Posts)
annsixty Sun 15-Dec-19 06:48:58

Micheal seems to be having trouble starting this morning’s thread so I thought I would try.

Auntieflo Sun 15-Dec-19 08:33:09

Good morning to all, and thanks to Annsixty for getting us going.
It's odd about the number of characters needed to begin a new thread, I noticed that a coupleof days ago. Will GNHQ tell us the reason?
Lovely afternoon and evening yesterday, as our DD and SIL came to visit and stayed to supper. They bought Christmas presents with them and took away the ones we had for them and extended family.
Church a bit later this morning, and we take somebody along with us , once a month.
Then this afternoon, I may even make a cake, as one got finished yesterday.
Best wishes to Gilly and all those feeling poorly
Have a good day one and all

Greyduster Sun 15-Dec-19 08:34:11

Good morning Michael and all GNs. Cold and breezy in South Yorkshire. I was up half the night and feel like pulling up the drawbridge today but promised to watch GS play football so, up and at ‘em! There will be hot chocolate at half time! Have a safe journey over Woodhead, Alygran! Might be some white stuff up there. Kind thoughts to all.

Harris27 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:45:22

Morning all from a cold NE. Looking forward to today as it’s our annual visit to the sage in Gateshead for our lunch and afternoon of northern sinfonia carols. I’m usually a rod atewart fan and will be always! But today I’m a traditional girl and the carols will make me Christmassy read for the big day! And I won £85;on the lottery last night whoopee! Love to all x

kittylester Sun 15-Dec-19 08:48:35

Morning all from my bit of North Leicestershire where is just the same as dragonfly.

I put up the decorations yesterday and went to a neighbour's party so having a lazy start.

We are off to Hemel Hemstead later to make sure we are on time for DGD2's school play and taking the opportunity to visit the Ercol Seconds shop.

Enjoy your days everyone! Best wishes to all who need them especially gilly.

mancgirl Sun 15-Dec-19 08:50:02

Good morning all. Lovely sunny morning in my corner of Manchester but feels bloomin' cold! The three year old gs has just been on the phone (via daddy) asking, when can I come round to decorate the tree - now?! Er, make it after 10 then I can have breakfast and get ready first. Nothing else will be done when he's here. Looking forward to giving him lots of cuddles. Sunday roast later, hope to wrap some presents when gs has gone. Have a lovely Sunday, good wishes to those struggling.

Lins1066 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:54:21

Good Morning from a very wet S Welsh coast. Yesterday was very windy and the RNLI had to cancel Father Christmas's arrival at the harbour. It was too windy to transfer him from his sleigh to the lifeboat.

Hope that all who are feeling ill or sad feel better soon.
Best wishes to Marydoll, Quaintirene and to dragonfly.
We have a beef casserole for later, a joint effort from DH et moi.

Mapleleaf Sun 15-Dec-19 08:56:32

Good morning,

Brighter and calmer than yesterday, which turned very wet and windy. Not sure what's in store for us here today, though, but it looks chilly.

Ended up giving in and getting up as I couldn't get comfortable during the night as my back was/is niggling me. I think I might have tweaked a muscle, but it's one of those situations where it feels easier when I'm up and moving.

Off to church later, but otherwise a quiet sort of day.

marydoll and QuaintIrene, I hope you both feel a bit better as the day goes on. Have a lazy day and relax/dose up.

Anniebach Sun 15-Dec-19 08:56:36

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

EllanVannin Sun 15-Dec-19 08:58:13

Good Morning All x
A sort of a sleety day out there as I ventured in the garden before to put a new fleece in the stray Tom's kennel---his Christmas treat.

Not an awful lot to do today besides seeing to my Sunday dinner a nice piece of pork so I'll get that in the oven shortly and it'll do me tomorrow as well.
The tree won't take long to do I hope the lights still work.

Feel sorry for those who are not so good especially if you have things to do and places to go so I hope it passes. Marydoll I take it you've got a nitro spray for your angina ? It can be helpful to have a quick spray before you tackle housework/shopping to help ward off an attack.

Thinking of the Gillybobs and hope that Mr. G manages to be allowed home and settled for Christmas.xx

Hope today is kind to Dragonfly too as she struggles on. It's these sort of things that make you feel so grateful that your own health is ticking along nicely, give or take the odd twinge.

Crumpet time for me now. Keep warm and a peaceful day to all.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Dec-19 09:00:55

Goodmorning Annsixty, Mick and all x

Blue sky here in SE Essex, lazy day here until very pregnant D, her partner and GS arrive for a late lunch, Roast Chicken with all the trimmings.

Marydoll please rest!!

Quaintirene, dragonfly and any others feeling under the weather be kind to yourselves and take things easy.

Hope to hear from gillybob

Wishing you all a serene Sunday ?

Ginny42 Sun 15-Dec-19 09:04:41

Good morning everyone. It's bright in this part of Cheshire at the moment. Glad you made it Mick. I'm late joining you this morning after being up for a couple of hours in the night then an hour's phone chat with DD.

Goodness but there's a lot of poorly people on here today! Take good care of yourselves and rest if you can.

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas at last. My sister and BiL came over yesterday to help me get things from the loft so the tree has finally gone up. Wouldn't you know I'd find packs of Christmas cards from last year's sales up there now it's too late?

All those on the sick list should have some pampering and of course best wishes to the Gillybobs and Dragonfly

Susan56 Sun 15-Dec-19 09:05:10

Good morning from Shropshire.
Still awaiting news on our great nephew.
A semi successful visit to Santa yesterday,baby and DGD sat with him but DGS preferred the elves outside Santa’s cabin!
We went to a neighbours Christmas gathering last night too kitty.
A quiet day today I hope.After we have done all the outstanding jobs we will hopefully have time to finish watching The Crown.
Best wishes to Lins,dragonfly.Qaintirene,Mary and anyone else with health or other worries.
Love, thoughts and prayers as ever to gilly and her husband.x

conor Sun 15-Dec-19 09:18:06

Good morning from a bright but chilly Essex. Finally got my cards written yesterday and DS put up my new set of outside lights. The old ones refused to work after he had spent half hour up a ladder on Wed evening!! Family visiting day in London today so I will be wedged between 2 DGS in the back seat of the car for the journey. But it will be lovely to see everyone and I'm sure there will be food provided. Feel a bit fluey so hope it is not lurking before Xmas. Hope everyone has a good day! flowers xxx

Beanie654321 Sun 15-Dec-19 09:23:58

Good Sunday morning all, I can see blue sky in Warrington. Wreath making workshop for me this afternoon and maybe a trip to see Santa this morning with GC. Bread being made and then gingerbread dough to make, marzipan the cake and mince pies to make. Busy day ahead. Hope you all have a fantastic day.

harrigran Sun 15-Dec-19 09:29:18

Good morning from the NE where it is cold but not frosty.
Another late start for me after another bad night, can't remember the last time I slept properly.
There are a lot of problems to deal with and still on standby to leave the country, never known a Christmas like this.
Will try and visit family this afternoon, they haven't got a tree up yet so maybe I can help the GC.
Love to the gillybobs.

Urmstongran Sun 15-Dec-19 09:32:24

What a worry for you harrigran
?

BlueSapphire Sun 15-Dec-19 09:32:28

Good morning all from a bright and dry Northampton. I am late this morning as I slept in till nearly 9 o'clock. Now sitting with my tea and a cat on my lap.
Late night last night as I was at DD's Christmas band concert, which was excellent.
Put a few more decorations up yesterday; I used to go to town on them but since DH died I just don't feel like doing as much.
Out to the cinema this afternoon to see the new Daniel Craig film 'Knives Out '. How my DM and DF, and my very straight laced Victorian granny would have disapproved of cinema on a Sunday! All different these days!
Sorry to hear of people feeling poorly, and hope they feel better soon.

Tiny1 Sun 15-Dec-19 09:33:22

Morning All, I’m new to this! I’ve REALLY got to get some wrapping done today ! Just really not in the mood. Have a good day everyone, whatever you’re doing!

GrannySomerset Sun 15-Dec-19 09:40:35

Currently calm in North Somerset after a very wild night. Today church, reorganise freezer, marzipan Christmas cake and plough through the political comment in the Sunday papers.

Sorry so many of us are not well. Don’t need lots of infectious nasties just as Christmas approaches.

gillybob Sun 15-Dec-19 10:08:48

Good morning from the NE coast. Haven’t ventured outside as yet but it doesn’t seem quite as cold as yesterday.

So sorry to hear that there are so many people feeling out of sorts and poorly. It’s that lurgy time of year isn’t it? Hope you are all feeling better soon.

My tooth is still keeping me awake at night and I have never had so many weird dreams which is probably all the antibiotics I am taking ? They don’t seem to be doing much and I am now in week 3. The dentist is going to open up the root canal again on Thursday as he says the infection is very high up . Can’t say I’m looking forward to that all over again. If it weren’t my front tooth I would have had it pulled out before now.

I am not in the slightest bit impressed with the “care” DH is getting on the ward and have told the Mr that I want to bring him home ASAP . He has had his catheter removed (as they say it is another source of infection and he’s in more antibiotics ) and very time I go he is absolutely soaked through. He has a bottle by his bed but doesn’t seem to quite make it . I know they can’t be everywhere but I ask when he was last changed and it’s usually hours before . I have taken it in myself to change him at visiting and they seem very happy to let me crack on. He is so thin that I worry he will end up with sores.

It’s as though the left hand and the right hand are not working together. The SALT team came while I was there and assessed his swallow which is still quite weak. They said he should start with easy to swallow food and slightly thickened drinks . He has had the feeding tubes removed so not getting any calories at all.

So some clown of a nurse wrote above his bed “NO MEAT” and “Level 3 fluid” . I sat with DH and we looked at the menu together and he chose his food. There is a special box to tick for easy to swallow (I forget the term). When his food came one of he nurses whisked it away and brought him back a plate of plain mashed potato. Nothing else . No gravy, nothing. DH said he couldn’t eat it and they should take it away . This happened again yesterday and it took one of the patients to tell me what is happening . Apparently they bring his food and.........

(weatabix ......oh you can’t have milk with it as you are on level 3 thickened fluids) now who the he’ll could eat dry wheatabix without a drink?

Lasagne.....oh you can’t have that it’s got meat in it ......

Corned beef hash.....oh you can’t have that .........

Ice cream......you can’t have that as it turns to liquid when it melts .........

This sh*t has gone on for 2 days and DH is absolutely starving so no wonder he demolished a pack of 4 custards I took in last night . One of the patients (an old man of 93) has backed up DH’s rather jumbled version of what has been going on.

So I spoke to the nurse in charge and asked her what DH could actually have ? No reply. Puzzled expression . hmm I asked her who had taken it in themselves to write “No meat” above his bed? Again puzzled expression . After about 20 minutes she came barging down the ward and actually raised her voice to me saying “ the salt team said he couldn’t have meat and my staff are just carrying out their instructions.....” “no they did not say no meat....they said and I quote ....”now don’t go and choose anything like a pork chop....giggles....
as you won’t be able to chew and swallow it....”

“I suggest you go and find out exactly what the salt team did say”

I think the penny dropped . No apologies of course. Nasty c*w shouldn’t be a nurse and I have heard her talking to the poor old guy over the way. 93 he is and marvellous too. Deserves more respect. I know there are some brilliant nurses . I have seen them but on this particular ward they are terrible .

Anyway I have told them I want him out of there ASAP .

Sorry for jumbled and long post but I am just so fed up . Can’t be bothered to argue any more. This damned toothache is eating away at me and I can’t focus on anything properly .

As Harri said up thread this is going to be a “Christmas” like no other or rather a “non-Christmas” .

So sorry for spoiling this lovely thread yet again.

Love to all

Gillybob.....slowly going insane xx

janny59 Sun 15-Dec-19 10:14:06

Good morning. Im from Stockport too and you,re right, it is particularly gloomy here this morning.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 10:21:34

Good morning Mick and everyone from a dark and rather wet S Wales.

I need to finish wrapping and writing some cards and having a good tidy up.
Hoping that the elves will be over later to decorate the tree for us but we have managed to put a few decorations up.

I'ce decided that this cough is the gift that keeps o giving, thought it had almost gone but here it is again!

Best wishes to all who are feeling under the weather

Baggs Sun 15-Dec-19 10:22:54

Good morning, all! What is falling as horrid rain at sea level is snow on the hills and at a lower level than yesterday. Mr Baggs is going to do a bird survey later with another member of the Argyll Bird Club. Our wee loch and the Clyde estuary is very important for several species but especially eider ducks and curlew.

I don't often write anything in the good morning threads but I often have a look in. I'm horrified this morning by what gillybob says about the hospital 'care' of her husband. With your tooth problem, it must all be a nightmare, gilly. Have a hug. Wish I could do more.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 10:37:28

gillybon I am appalled at the treatment your DH is receiving (or not receiving in fact) on that ward.
Much of what is happening is down to the sister in charge of the ward and that one does sound as if she should never be let near a hospital again.
I could weep for you, can another member of your family go in with you find someone superior to her and complain? When I was in our local hospital the staff were lovely but on another ward where my friend was recently, reports of neglect were appalling. Because she couldn't move they brought a bed pan to her, spilt it and then left her soaking all night, the nurses refusing to respond to anyone all night.
Sometimes the weekend care is dreadful- protocols are in place but not adhered to.

You need some support, I hope someone can go in with you as you sound at the end of your tether.

What is wrong with a proper dinner liquidised? Surely it is not beyond their capabilities? There must be others who need this type of food.

Ginny42 Sun 15-Dec-19 10:37:29

Goodness Gilly that is shocking. You DH would surely qualify for carers at home. .

Have they not supplied liquid foods like Ensure? I'm not a medic, so perhaps those with experience would be able to advise better than I.

Another hug as I reckon you need them!