Gransnet forums

Chat

I know it's wrong but.....

(64 Posts)
kittylester Wed 18-Dec-19 11:43:05

I love Keane's new song, 'Stupid Things'. blush

Anyone else love songs that could be deemed 'wrong'?

gillyknits Thu 19-Dec-19 11:44:45

I love Pink’s “ I’m gonna start a fight! “
Wonder what that says about me?
( cowering, waiting to be jumped on! )

Phloembundle Thu 19-Dec-19 11:48:34

There was a brilliant song in the sixties called Young Girl, by Gary Pucket ( even that sounds a bit near the mark now) and The Union Gap. To modern ears it sounds a bit paedo.

kittylester Thu 19-Dec-19 12:09:35

Lovebeigecardigans not domestic violence at all. Hes heen unfaithful - that's all!

FarNorth Thu 19-Dec-19 12:14:43

Phloembundle I could easily imagine that Young Girl situation, where a guy finds out the girl who's been acting enthusiastic is younger than he thought.
Not really paedo.

Chestnut Thu 19-Dec-19 12:22:31

I love Itchycoo Park and never took any notice of the words. It's about a guy getting a girl to play truant from school and go to the park with him to take drugs. Lovely! I still like the song though.

Sophrosyne Thu 19-Dec-19 12:39:06

Ohhh Phloembundle I used to love this (actually still do) and also from the same era The Spencer Davis Group's "Keep on Running" which could be viewed as slightly menacing now.

More recently we had James Blunt explaining the lyrics of his "Your Beautiful" which is often requested at weddings:

"'You're Beautiful' is not this soft romantic f**** song. It's about a guy who’s high as a f**** kite on drugs in the subway stalking someone else’s girlfriend when that guy is there in front of him," Blunt explained to the Huffington Post. "And he should be locked up or put in prison for being some kind of perv." hmm

MissAdventure Thu 19-Dec-19 12:58:49

A long while ago now, a doting Nan told me she had bought the CD "You're gorgeous" for her grandson.
I asked her if she had actually listened to the words, and she was horrified!

Jillybird Thu 19-Dec-19 13:44:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icanhandthemback Thu 19-Dec-19 13:51:56

One of my favourite tracks is Avenged Sevenfold's "A little Piece of Heaven." I have loved it since I first heard it but I was a bit shockshock when my son pointed out it was about necrophilia! I still love the music though. It is like a heavy metal opera.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Dec-19 13:55:44

My mum jigged around to a song and said "Oh I love this one! It reminds me of us on the walzer that time when it went so fast".
It was 'smack my bitch up' smile

MissAdventure Thu 19-Dec-19 13:56:19

Waltzer!

Chestnut Thu 19-Dec-19 13:56:54

Wow! I think you have to check the words before playing at weddings and funerals, definitely. Even if you don't know them someone else might.

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Dec-19 14:20:02

Okay, not my favourite, but I used to like the Rolling Stone's Under My Thumb. Now I'm amazed it's still played!

I had Maggie May played for me so many times, for people who'd never actually listened to the lyrics. It's no compliment!

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Dec-19 14:20:38

by people, rather.

Chestnut Thu 19-Dec-19 15:30:38

To be honest, I think there were quite a few songs in the 1960s about taking drugs and getting high. I used to skip around as a teenager happily singing them, never having taken a drug in my life!
'I Can Hear the Grass Grow' by The Move is one.

Oopsminty Thu 19-Dec-19 15:32:53

White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane was another. I'd float around the dance floor trying to look all blissful. Didn't have a clue what it was about!

Purplepoppies Thu 19-Dec-19 15:33:37

Maggie May was written after a Rod had a brief thing with an older woman at a festival when he was a teenager.
One of my favourite songs is Cherry Wine by a band called Hozier. Its about domestic violence, her to him....
His voice haunts me.
youtu.be/5I4iwiDK_lQ

Sussexborn Thu 19-Dec-19 15:52:44

www.bexhillobserver.net/news/people/keane-to-play-special-gig-in-bexhill-to-celebrate-new-album-s-release-1-9040978

My older brother mentioned that they’ve done a few impromptu events in the past on the seafront in Bexhill.

He actually comes from Battle (where it now appears that the Battle of Hastings DIDN’T take place)

PennyWhistle Thu 19-Dec-19 15:54:33

A favourite of mine is Golden Brown by the Stranglers. Still like it now, despite it bring a tribute to drugs which I abhor

Chestnut Thu 19-Dec-19 15:55:21

What about 'Summer (The First Time) when Bobby Goldsboro sang:

'She was thirty one and I was seventeen
I knew nothing about love, she knew everything
When I sat down beside her on the front porch swing
And wondered what the coming night would bring'

And when the morning came he was a man!

Sussexborn Thu 19-Dec-19 16:05:10

A bride requested the theme tune from Robin Hood and

youtu.be/JErQMxqvfBU this was played instead.

chelseababy Thu 19-Dec-19 17:30:24

I always think Me and Mrs Jones inappropriate when played on Sunday Love Songs for married couples!

Blinko Thu 19-Dec-19 20:10:57

How about 'Lola' by the Kinks? Right on trend now, I think.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Dec-19 20:17:24

I love that song!

Luckygirl Thu 19-Dec-19 20:40:42

Young Girl - Gary Plucket and the Union Gap - oh dear. I am sure it would be banned now.