Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm desperate for a non Xmas tune on the radio!

(68 Posts)
Margs Sat 21-Dec-19 11:21:29

All the stations on DAB are the same round of corny Christmas songs on a continuous loop. It seems the only station that doesn't do tuneless festive much is TalkSport - thanks but no thanks!

It appears that any and every bit of music at the moment (however crappy) has jingle bells on it and that makes it OK. It's driving me crazy - goodness knows how shop staff bear this stuff hour after hour whilst dealing with frantic and fraught customers at the very busy checkouts.

They deserve a medal simply for not losing it.

Floradora9 Sun 22-Dec-19 11:38:32

I have to avoid all radio stations apart from Radio 4 . I listen to Classic FM a lot but not at this time . Shops seem to be quieter this year. I complained in Tesco last year about the loud music as I could not think while it was on.

inkcog Sun 22-Dec-19 11:41:24

Yes Ginger, it is totally rammed down your throat for months and it takes a strong person to resist and enjoy non Christmas stuff .

nettyandmasey Sun 22-Dec-19 12:03:54

I worked in a supermarket when the Mama Mia video was released, it was on continuous loop ? I have never been able to watch it.

gillyknits Sun 22-Dec-19 12:06:47

knspol You ought to come to the shops near here. The Pogues are on all the time in every shop.
Has anyone else watched the number one hit on You Tube. The Sausage Roll Song by Ladbaby ? It’s for charity.
It made me chuckle?!

Callistemon Sun 22-Dec-19 12:07:30

I tend to agree although I do love Christmas Carols.

Whether properly sung or sung by young children at their Christingles, Carol services or just a congregation of folk who may not normally gather together and sing, I enjoy them..

However I keep hearing in my head 'Step into Christmas' because there's an advert on the TV for a programme that features it.
Annoying!!

3nanny6 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:17:41

Margs, not all stations on DAB are playing corny Christmas songs I have got Gold London on my radio station and it is great all the old Tamla Motown or soul a selection of the Beatles and lots of stuff not a Christmas song in sight.

I must admit I bought myself the Bing Crosby C.D. and it really makes me feel Christmasy I cannot believe I bought a Bing CD someone help me I am turning into my mother.

Theoddbird Sun 22-Dec-19 12:37:10

I work on retail....have had Christmas songs over pa system since early November.... Help...I have been driven mad....

Rufus2 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:58:45

Australian bush sounds ( birds ) with music
Ellan Then you'd love my recent Christmas present I gave to myself! A 33cm. dia. kitchen wall clock with a picture of a different Aussie bird at each hour and a 10 sec. recording of it's song! The cockatoo and the kookaburra still make me jump at their respective hours making me think "how did he get in here?' Fortunately it's programmed to switch off the sounds overnight! Give me the address of your nearest supermarket and I'll have one sent there for pick-up if you like. tchgrin
Cheers

sarahellenwhitney Sun 22-Dec-19 13:05:37

My grouse is movie channels. Is there not one that doesn't years after year show the same sickly sweet same old xmas movies.?I have fortunately a stash of recordings made before the word xmas appeared.

grannyrebel7 Sun 22-Dec-19 13:47:46

Alexa plays Christmas Crooners which is lovely wink

Horatia Sun 22-Dec-19 15:21:45

Quiet Scotland campaign against background music being played especially too loudly. They are on Twitter and also have a facebook page.

Baggs Sun 22-Dec-19 15:26:46

Ooh! thanks, horatia. Must look them up. I can only shop for one or two items in our main Co-op supermarket because the muzak does my head in and I can't think straight after a few minutes.

Kalu Sun 22-Dec-19 15:52:56

Thanks from me too Horatia?

I have no idea the genre of most of the music, I call it bang, bang, which belts out of shops all year round. Drives me nuts!

I have now taken to using my iPod whenever I have to go shopping. Cuts out everything apart from what I want to listen to! Bliss?

jura2 Sun 22-Dec-19 16:08:31

Never mind on the radio - everywhere- Cafés, restaurants, pubs, shops - this synthesized Americanised Christmas music on a loop drives me bonkers.

Horatia Sun 22-Dec-19 16:19:37

It's spreading everywhere unwanted background noise. Campaigns Suggesting more Quiet periods shopping are growing.

Aepgirl Sun 22-Dec-19 17:52:18

I think the problem is that the Christmas music starts in mid-September so by now we are all sick of it.

If it was just Christmas week I’m sure we’d appreciate it more.

phoenix Sun 22-Dec-19 18:05:51

Another Radio 4 listened here.

Love music, but prefer to actually choose what I listen to!

Although the Bideford Town Silver Band were playing outside Morrison's today, very festive!

Phloembundle Sun 22-Dec-19 19:57:18

Radio four, always.

Blondiescot Sun 22-Dec-19 20:05:15

Kerrang radio!! Rock, indie, metal etc and plenty of it!

Harris27 Sun 22-Dec-19 20:36:14

I do live it but by Boxing Day I’m glad it’s over!

Jennyluck Sun 22-Dec-19 20:39:17

We have the radio on all day at work, one of the popular stations. I don’t mind the Xmas songs, but wish there was a bit more variety. As someone else has said, there normal play list is very reparative, which is annoying. So out of work I have my own playlist via Apple Music, which is great . Oh, hate fairytale if New York ?

Eloethan Sun 22-Dec-19 22:45:03

Magic Radio is playing ONLY Christmas music. Admittedly some of the tracks they play I welcome because they are both unusual and enjoyable, but to devote every single second to Christmas songs - many of which I'm heartily sick of - is, I think, ridiculous.

Carryon Mon 23-Dec-19 01:39:28

Oh well there's always radio 4 or 4 extra.

Mapleleaf Mon 23-Dec-19 10:17:12

Well I like most Christmas music, though it can get a bit much in the shops, and some of it is too smaltzy (spelling?) for my taste. With regards to the radio though, well, it's not for very long really and I suppose you could play a CD of own choice if it's really driving you mad, or try radio 4? (Nine lessons and carols aside on R4, that is).

Bluebird64 Tue 24-Dec-19 07:55:16

For the first time ever this Christmas, I wrote my cards and wrapped my presents listening to a cd of Bing Crosby singing Christmas songs...but when I got bored with him I put on a Ginger Baker drum solo, REALLY loud!