Gransnet forums

Chat

Light hearted post, Clocks and Watches

(86 Posts)
J52 Sun 22-Dec-19 08:41:49

I like wearing a watch. Sadly my beautiful gold watch has a face that is too small for me to see, but I still wear it for occasions. My everyday watch is solar powered, so no need for a battery and it keeps perfect time.
As for the younger generation my tec savvy DS wears 3 different watches, the one he inherited from his GF, one we gave him for his graduation and one ( a special chronometer) he asked for a couple of Christmases ago.
The other DS who works in IT doesn’t wear one.

Anniebach Sun 22-Dec-19 08:35:00

I don’t have a wrist watch, not one house clock, I have a bedside radio/alarm.

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Dec-19 08:28:54

My husband bought me the most beautiful Tissot watch, oval with a faceted face when I had our first son.
Previously, I'd never worn a wrist watch, as being a Nursery Nurse/Nanny, I had a fob.

But that Tissot didn't like me and would not keep time.
The horologist tested it - it kept perfect time for him.
He suggested I had 'too much electricity' and although I didn't understand, I had to stop wearing it.
Bought myself a cheap Timex and that did the same, so it was me not the watches.

My Mum collected clocks in a small way and her favourite was a beautiful Marine clock with a mahogany surround.

She also loved a chiming Grandmother clock and a domed torsion pendulum Year Clock which I bought her.
In the sitting room she had a little Cuckoo Clock bought in Oberammergau.

When she came to New Zealand, the first place she wanted to visit was the Clock Museum in Whangarei. smile

claphamsclocks.com

TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Dec-19 08:05:14

I love to hear a ticking clock as I go to sleep,

DoraMarr Sun 22-Dec-19 08:04:47

I took my watch off the day I retired and loved the feeling of freedom it gave me. Then my daughter noticed I wasn’t wearing it and bought me a new one for Christmas. It’s very pretty, rose gold with a cream strap. I do wear it now, sometimes, and always when I go to see her. I find my life has settled into a routine, and I rarely look at the time during the day, but when I do I’m always within a few minutes of the time I am estimating.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Dec-19 08:03:39

That made me laugh mumofmadboys I have my phone on my bedside table, so I tend to look at that for the time,

grannypiper Sun 22-Dec-19 08:01:26

i only have 2 clocks and neither tick ! I always wear a watch but never look at it as i rarely need to know the time.

tanith Sun 22-Dec-19 07:59:40

I haven’t worn a watch since the day I retired and now I think about it I don’t own a clock apart from the digital ones on oven, microwave and tv. I listen to the radio, use my mobile or iPad for the time.

CosyCrafter Sun 22-Dec-19 07:58:21

No, I don't think that is an obsession, as for wearing a watch, I always wore a watch, feeling naked as you say without one but the last few years I rarely bother and use my mobile phone if need be.

mumofmadboys Sun 22-Dec-19 07:53:19

I wear a watch,even to bed! Always have! Like to know the time if I wake up in the night!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Dec-19 07:49:33

My DH thinks I have a clock obsession as I have 9 in a 4 bed home, I also wear a watch, I’m interested in to know if anyone else is like me,and would feel naked if going out without wearing a watch, I’ve noticed that very few youngsters wear watches anymore and rely on their phones for the time