Gransnet forums

Chat

Light hearted post, Clocks and Watches

(87 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Dec-19 07:49:33

My DH thinks I have a clock obsession as I have 9 in a 4 bed home, I also wear a watch, I’m interested in to know if anyone else is like me,and would feel naked if going out without wearing a watch, I’ve noticed that very few youngsters wear watches anymore and rely on their phones for the time

FarNorth Wed 25-Dec-19 23:20:12

I have 3 clocks and no watches.
I use my phone as an alarm clock.

I stopped wearing a watch long before mobile phones were usual and I just got used to estimating time and checking on public clocks, if necessary.

melp1 Wed 25-Dec-19 22:39:18

I wear a watch & have a clock in every room of a 3 bed house. Still often late though grin

Oopsminty Tue 24-Dec-19 09:10:39

I've never worn a watch.

They just annoy me

Clocks in most rooms

But my phone is what I mainly use to tell the time

Saggi Tue 24-Dec-19 09:07:41

One in kitchen ... although not necessary as have clock display on oven and microwave..... have one in sitting room... again not really needed as there is display on tv ( and my hubby never turns that off). That’s it ..two clocks. I do wear a watch but the annoy me as I have the skinniest wrist and always have to punch an extra hole in the wristband . ... so tend to use my phone while out. My daughter does not have a clock at all... neither is there one in my son in laws house. But surely clocks are now about more than just telling time.... some people like them as decoration/ ornament.

Harris27 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:47:45

Sorry I wrote one and it disappeared so did another! Gremlins!

Harris27 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:47:00

I wear a watch everyday to work but a girl I work with never wears one she’s younger than me so is it an age thing? My late mil used to wear a watch always even though she’d never worked since getting married! She never really had to be anywhere but did everything by the clock!

Harris27 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:41:16

Always wear a watch and my late mil had her watch on always even though she hadn’t worked all her married life she always liked to do things by the clock! I would feel naked without one but a girl I work with never wears one! Do you think it’s an age thing? And why when you retire do they give you a clock?

Marmight Tue 24-Dec-19 08:34:36

⏱. I only wear a watch when flying to Oz so I can keep up with time travel! I have a box full of ex watches including one which my late husband gave me on our wedding day. I just don’t feel comfortable wearing one and inevitably forget to remove before going in the shower/bath. I have a clock in every room and otherwise use my phone. I inherited 2 grandfather clocks but couldn't stand the dinging and donging! One which was my husbands, went with DD3 to Australia the other, my parents, I gave to their very good neighbour as thanks for his help over the years. My Mum always said I was obsessed with the time, continually asking. I had a bad head injury as an 11 year old and apparently the last thing I’d asked her before becoming unconscious was the time! So once recovered it became something I repeated - often. Still do 60 years on grin

Bluebird64 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:03:25

Aw I've never yet found a watch that doesn't irritate my wrist...but I cycle everywhere and it's awkward when you need to know the time and your phone's in your backpack!

grannyactivist Sun 22-Dec-19 22:43:57

I worked for a solicitor who had an extensive clock collection. He later became a judge, but was a nasty man who would have been found guilty of sexual harassment if he'd still been around today. He comes straight to mind whenever anyone mentions clock collections.

I have one clock, in my kitchen and a carriage clock that I never look at in my dining room (it was a leaving gift from lovely church friends when I moved from Manchester in 1994). I wear a watch given to me as a birthday gift many years ago - I'd be lost without it.

Cabbie21 Sun 22-Dec-19 21:53:37

Too many clocks to count! DH has an obsession.
Some are digital, on the oven, microwave, Bose, clock radios etc, four are carriage clocks, one of which chimes, plus two mantelpiece clocks in traditional wooden cases. Oh and a wall clock in the kitchen as well. Nothing in the bathroom. DH has four good vintage watches, I have two cheap ones which I wear alternately.
I only use my phone to check the time if there is no alternative. It just doesn’t normally occur to me.
Oh and we have a barometer as well. How old- fashioned is that?

grannybuy Sun 22-Dec-19 21:35:59

I always wear a watch.,it's quicker than taking the phone out of my bag. I have one clock in the living room, and an alarm clock in the bedroom. In the kitchen, I can use the microwave clock.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-Dec-19 21:09:31

Always wear a watch, have family clocks around the house.
My stepfather was an horologist, my sister is high up in one of the most prestigious Swiss watch manufacturers.

harrigran Sun 22-Dec-19 21:00:04

Clocks in every room but the kitchen but there are clocks on all the ovens.
Three clocks in the bedroom, battery ones in case the electricity goes off during the night and radio alarm does not work.
I wear a wristwatch because I don't want to look for my phone when I am outdoors.

hicaz46 Sun 22-Dec-19 20:21:20

I have at least a dozen watches and a fit bit. I have a clock in every room, some like the main bedroom have 3. I appear to be obsessed with time when I look at what I have written. I’m not really but I do like to know what the time is. You can imagine I hate it when the clocks go back or forwards!

Urmstongran Sun 22-Dec-19 20:13:30

Love it BradfordLass how funny & very probably true! I shall try it out over Christmas!
?

I adore clocks and watches.

I love a clock in every room and have about 10 watches. Different styles, colours etc not just functional also fashion.

My most expensive watch is a Gucci. Bought 15y ago. My most sentimental is a Rotary bought for me on our silver wedding anniversary - 20y ago now. Himself suggested a trip down memory lane to the pub which was our local when we were courting. We used to buy a lager and lime each - we were saving up in 1972/3 for a mortgage.

We hadn’t been back to the pub since we got married and were quite pleased it was a pub that was still open! He went to the bar to buy the drinks then surprised me with the watch in ‘the snug’.
?

Shizam Sun 22-Dec-19 20:05:25

I hate wearing a watch. Annoys me. And I do send them mad. Weird. I hate being without a scarf. Cold neck! And gloves. Raynauds!

BlueSapphire Sun 22-Dec-19 19:46:08

I wear a watch all the time, only take it off in the shower.
It was my first Christmas present from DH, in 1969 and is an Omega automatic, no battery, winds itself by the movement of my wrist. It's been a good watch for 50 years come Christmas Day!
Been sent to the service centre in Switzerland a few times and had a new bracelet. Since DH died it means even more to me, a constant reminder of him.

Including clocks on cooker, microwave and radios I have 7! Cannot bear to not know the time. Oh, and one on my mobile as well. And a spare cheap watch for when my Omega goes to be serviced.

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Dec-19 19:06:04

Here's a thing to try.
Next time you see someone look at their watch, ask them, a few seconds later, what the time is. They will always look back at the watch grin

Aepgirl Sun 22-Dec-19 17:53:20

My watch is part of me. When the strap broke recently I felt at a loss until I got it repaired.

Scrappydo Sun 22-Dec-19 17:19:34

I became allergic to watches as a teenager. I could only wear a 9ct bracelet watch. Working in a bank I gave up wearing it for work as it spent more time in the jewellers getting repaired than on my wrist.
I spent years knowing where every clock was on my journey to work. Someone suggested that I try a watch made of titanium which surgical instruments are made of, therefore anti allergy.
Dear hubby bought me one as a retirement present. It’s great, no green itchy wrists. It was a bit expensive but well worth it.
The only trouble I have now is remembering I am wearing one as I catch myself going for my phone to check the time instead of my wrist. ?

jura2 Sun 22-Dec-19 16:48:37

Alishka, there are several. The main watch-making Museum is in La Chaux-de-Fonds, and there is another wonderful one in a Castle in Le Locle- and a great smaller one in my neck of the woods- which I am very involved in.

Yes it was horrible- of course the thief had no idea the watch was unique and made just for me by my dad. I am always looking for it in second hand shops - as said, I'd recognize it instantly- the brand was Favre-Leuba, which was part of the Jaeger Lecoultre group.

MamaCaz Sun 22-Dec-19 16:43:11

I'm afraid I can't remember now, jura. Whatever brand it was, unfortunately, it didn't stand the test of time - one of the hands fell off it when, looking back, it musn't have been more than seven years old at the most, and it wasn't considered worth repairing.

What a horrible thing for someone to do, Jura, stealing from you in that way, and even worse that you lost something so personal. sad

Laurely Sun 22-Dec-19 16:34:47

I have just gone round the house.

Back entrance: no clock.
Garage: no clock.
Utility room: central heating timer, digital display.
Downstairs loo: electric toothbrush timer, digital display.
Kitchen: round clock on wall, battery-operated, Arabic numerals.
Living room: small brass mantel 'carriage clock', battery-operated, Roman numerals.
Snug: small old French clockwork mantel clock, purely decorative, needs repair (not working), Arabic numerals.
Study: very large battery-operated roundface clock on wall, with day and date, Arabic numerals.
In hall, at foot of stairs: small single-handed early-18th-century chiming grandfather clock, Roman numerals; has to be wound daily.
Bathroom: electric toothbrush timer, digital display.
On my side of bed: battery-operated plastic alarm clock, Arabic numerals.
Other bedrooms: one has nothing clocklike like at all, while the third would have a display on the bedside radio alarm if it were turned on.
We both wear battery-operated wristwatches (mine is analogue, with Arabic numerals, Mr L's is digital. He points out I have omitted the various phone sets, both landline and mobile, each with a digital display).

We have different attitudes to punctuality: Mr L thinks he is late unless he is well ahead of the specified time. I regard it as ill-mannered to turn up at 7:15 at someone's home if the invitation is for 7:30.

All this proves nothing, except that I have time on my hands.

Alishka Sun 22-Dec-19 16:34:04

Oh Jura, am I right that there was/is a clock museum in Neuchatel? (vague memory from my travelling days in the 60s - may be wrong!wink)