Gransnet forums

Chat

Oldest M&S dressing gown?

(59 Posts)
annep1 Sun 22-Dec-19 11:11:26

My stepson was staying last night and commented that his dad was wearing the dressing gown that he remembered as a child.
It's an M&S, still has St Michael on the label. It's one he had when I met him in 1996 and is still in great order and not faded.
Can anyone top this?

Witzend Sun 29-Dec-19 10:07:59

I have one, now a ‘guest’ dressing gown, that must be 20 years old, M&S, still very nice. Having left my own, longer and even cosier one at dd’s, I’m wearing it again.

Grannytwo Sat 28-Dec-19 12:17:19

My hubby has a pair of summer trousers bought in 1985 and he will not part with them. They still fit but I hide them as they are bit thin on the bum!

Jane10 Wed 25-Dec-19 08:57:52

I'm sitting snuggly in my M&S dressing gown right now. It's so cosy that I can't face taking it off and having a shower (yet!)

LullyDully Wed 25-Dec-19 08:31:48

Built to last, no wonder M & S are struggling. My dressing gown must be quite old, it was my husband's but I took it over. Too snuggly to throw out.

Resurgam123 Wed 25-Dec-19 08:18:45

I will own up to filling another hot water bottle about 2 hrs ago. And I am still in my dressing gown .

JuliaM Tue 24-Dec-19 06:23:08

I still have my M&S Dressing gown that l took into hospital with me when my daughter was born in 1980. It’s a lightweight pink one with an embroidered spray of pastel coloured flowers on the neckline, and a wrap over style, perfect for covering my ‘bump’ at the time.
I kept it due to the fond memories it holds, but no longer wear it after generally putting on weight as the years have gone by. My daughter turns 40 next April, and now has two grown up children of her own, how time flys, l remember sitting and watching the dawn break over the grounds of the maternity home where she was born, and the spring mist rising as the warm sunshine hit the frosted ground.

MissAdventure Tue 24-Dec-19 01:21:15

I think my M & S dressing gown is a spring chicken compared to the rest.

I got it from a charity shop perhaps about 5 or 6 years ago, but it was in excellent condition, so I'm assuming it was newish.

Its burgundy, not exactly glamorous, but it zips right down the front. Lovely!

Resurgam123 Mon 23-Dec-19 23:50:34

I have a very comfortable M&S dressing gown my daughter bought for me as a Christmas present. Possibly about 9yrs ago.
I have no idea.
It is very soft and warm but really I should shorten it before I trip over it.
I am getting wary about trippng over things now.

Ninarosa Mon 23-Dec-19 20:00:34

I have my St. Michael pale lemon cotton kimono style dressing gown, bought in the S.R. Gent's sewing factory seconds shop. I worked there as an examiner for all M and S goods on leaving school in 1970. Fifteen years later I can be seen wearing it holding my new born son. I would love to still wear it . Sadly I can no longer get in it .
I also have a wine coloured satin midi dress with three quarter sleeves and lots of tiny fabric covered buttons down the front.This was my Mum's from the 1930's. I wore this to a dance when I was first married : 1979. Again, far too small.
I love this thread, it's bringing back a lot of clothes related memories, thankyou.

annep1 Mon 23-Dec-19 18:32:55

Great stories everyone. Items kept from as far back as the fifties, possibly forties. There's something very satisfying about that. Couldn't we teach the young ones .
Have a nice Christmas everyone Signing off until the NY.

GrammaH Mon 23-Dec-19 18:07:46

I've still got a lovely striped velour dressing gown I bought in 1979. I was working in Boots as a Christmas temp at the time & thought I was really decadent buying such an exoensive dressing gown. It's kept its vibrant colours beautifully but it's a little bit snug these days!

HillyN Mon 23-Dec-19 17:25:08

I've still got the M & S dressing gown I bought when I found out I was expecting DD1 in 1981. It is quite full with a zip up the front. When it was 6 months old the zip broke and I took it back. M & S sent it away to have the zip replaced and I continued to wear it for many years, including my second pregnancy. Eventually I got bored with it, so it now hangs on the back of the spare bedroom door and has often been used by visiting family and friends.

Hellsbelles Mon 23-Dec-19 16:32:10

Another St. Michael one , at least 25+ years old. Navy with white daisys.

AliG01 Mon 23-Dec-19 14:53:11

My husband still wears daily, the dressing gown I bought him for our first Christmas together in 1978. Still thick still warm and wearable and yes, you guessed it, St Michael label made in UK

Joplin Mon 23-Dec-19 14:42:45

A friend altered the buttons on 2 M&S nighties I bought in 1975 so that I could breastfeed my firstborn. Not only can I not bear to throw them out I still sometimes wear them. Is that awful? Unbelievably, they almost look as good as new.

purplepatcat Mon 23-Dec-19 14:27:01

I've still got a maroon / reddish St Michael label dressing gown that I had when I was a young teen - probably aged around 13, in the late 1960's. As I am quite tall, it may have been a ladies size, but I've just tried to check and the size label has completely faded. It has been used since by my daughter and several grandchildren, who are all several inches smaller than me, and also somewhat slimmer than I am now!!

grandmac Mon 23-Dec-19 14:06:11

I still have the M &S navy blue cardigan my sister bought me for Christmas in 1971. At one time I wore it every day for work (nursing) and also off duty. Still in very good condition with all its buttons. Although I no longer wear it I can’t bear to get rid of it.

Rosina Mon 23-Dec-19 13:58:45

I have my Mum's dressing gown; she died almost forty years ago, but I can't throw it away! She had worn it for many years so it was probably a 1960's vintage. I use it now to cover a velvet evening coat in the wardrobe.

Kim19 Mon 23-Dec-19 13:39:24

I'm regularly complimented on a polo neck sweater I bought 61 years ago in M&S. I remember the day so clearly as I was with a friend and we chose different colourways of the same style. They were piled so high on the counters that we both joked that every other person we met in town would be wearing one. Haven't ever seen one since and still feel really dressy when I wear this. Quality indeed.

Beacon61 Mon 23-Dec-19 13:36:00

Yes, I still wear my M&S dressing gown (red with a polka dot trim down the front edges) and I can remember wearing it in hospital when I was about to give birth to my son - who will be 25 this Christmas!

boheminan Mon 23-Dec-19 13:35:21

I have a 1950/60's M&S dressing gown (or housecoat). I collect vintage clothes and it's my favourite item, it's like new after c60 years.

Musicgirl Mon 23-Dec-19 12:49:19

My dad had a navy silk dressing gown his aunt and uncle bought in Hong Kong for him in the late 50s/early 60s. He wore it for the rest of his life.

Ginger79 Mon 23-Dec-19 12:45:57

Most made at Corahs factory in Leicester where I worked in 1954.

Grannyjacq1 Mon 23-Dec-19 12:29:24

We arrived back from 3 years in the Far East in 1966. My father had to kit out 5 children with winter clothes, which we hadn't worn for ages. I remember his shock when I chose a nightshirt in M&S - pink and white striped, probably nylon- and he declared ' 29/11 (that's just under £3 for younger readers) - that will have to last you until you're 21'. I was 14 at the time. The nightshirt lasted me until I was about 40, I think.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 23-Dec-19 12:23:34

My grey fleecy dressing gown is from 1992 - so quite young really.