Gransnet forums

Chat

For couples ... sleep together or sleep apart? ?

(123 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 24-Dec-19 00:18:13

Sleep is the most selfish thing that we can do. You can’t share your sleep with anybody, so why share your bed?

Double?
Singles?
Separate rooms perhaps?

We share a bed in the U.K. but not out in Spain - we have two singles - for many months it’s so darned hot!

Which do you choose?

Teetime Tue 24-Dec-19 09:27:27

Yes us too - together but a King Sized bed.

Luckygirl Tue 24-Dec-19 09:37:41

Superking bed - and sometimes separate single duvets - this was before he went into NH.

harrigran Tue 24-Dec-19 09:49:18

We have always shared a bed but he worked away for 16 years and I got used to having the bed and the room to myself for the majority of the time. As soon as he left to return to work I would strip the bed and make it up with fresh linen and enjoy the luxury tchgrin

grannysyb Tue 24-Dec-19 09:50:16

Been sleeping apart on and off for a while. First after my hip op when I wasn't sleeping well. Then just moved back in, I moved out because he got a cold which turned into a chest infection, moved back in when antibiotics cured it. Back to spare room last week as he got another cold! He has managed to get appointment with GP this afternoon as it's gone to his chest again! Changing both beds this morning. In out in out!

CarlyD7 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:00:02

Same room, big double bed. Wouldn't have it any other way (except when one of us has a cold and is sent off to the spare room!) However, I would LOVE my own bathroom (sigh).

Purpledreamer Tue 24-Dec-19 10:04:21

I developed rheumatoid arthritis years ago and we began sleeping separately then as DH was worried about hurting me. I did return to the marital bed (hang on, I was the ill one, why did I decide to sleep in the smaller bed? grin. Over the next few years we sometimes slept together, sometimes apart, then when we moved to our current home three years ago we decided on separate rooms. Our sleeping habits are different these days and it just suits us better. We both have double beds, so always room to sleep together when we have visitors, etc.

Tigertooth Tue 24-Dec-19 10:05:28

As soon as eldest went to uni I grabbed his bedroom - luckily it’s huge and he has a double. We always sleep apart because we disturb each other - me up and down with dry eyes and trips to the loo and him with his snoring. He actually was a bit moody when I first slept in the f St pare room but now we both enjoy the benefits of a restful sleep.

Horton1828 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:07:54

Super king bed, single quilts x plenty of room for two dogs ? ? and one cat ? .... All very happy with the arrangements ?..... Happy Christmas everyone ??? ?

SirChenjin Tue 24-Dec-19 10:08:25

During the week when we both have to get up for work it’s separate rooms - he goes to bed much later than me and I’m a very light sleeper so always got woken up when he came into the room, and he snores so I used to lie awake and seethe. Now I put in earplugs which help a bit but I don’t find particularly comfortable and we coorie up at the weekends when there’s no early starts. Best of both worlds smile

TrendyNannie6 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:11:07

Definitely sleep together, King sized bed love snuggling up

Nortsat46 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:15:03

Like many others, we begin in one bed but if either wake up early, we move to the sofa or the spare bed.

We have enjoyed the huge beds in some hotel rooms... and one or two four poster beds in historic hotels ... ?

sarahellenwhitney Tue 24-Dec-19 10:16:32

Farview
Your comment had me in tears .Of laughter.grin

Witzend Tue 24-Dec-19 10:17:08

We mostly share a nice big bed, but since neither of us sleeps very well nowadays, one or other of us very often decamps to a spare room bed. More often me, if I want to put the light on and read a book, rather than the Kindle or listen to the World Service, which may be very interesting or else send me back to sleep.

I can't bear the thought of being cooped up in a hotel room nowadays, with nowhere to escape to, so unless it's just for one or two nights, it has to be e.g. an Air B&B flat, if and when we go.,

00mam00 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:18:46

Twin beds, separate bathrooms. When on holiday I always select a gite with separate bedrooms and bathrooms as he can never remember where the bathroom is in a strange place and needs a light on through the night to find his way.

grannyrebel7 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:21:49

Together - even if we've had the most awful of rows neither of us will give up the marital bed smile

Urmstongran Tue 24-Dec-19 10:22:46

Ooh I wish Maw! Sadly we don’t have that luxury.
?

Trainman990 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:24:11

Same room, same bed but there are three of us, one being a smoothie miniature Dachshund that has just taken over. She keep us warm!

kwest Tue 24-Dec-19 10:26:40

Can anyone tell me whether two 3ft mattresses where there is a facility for altering the height slope etc. with the bedframes capable of being joined or separated actually mean that if one person is twitching and moving about, the other person will not be aware of it? We will be building on a ground-floor bedroom in the next couple of years. New bed will be a major purchase. We are both lighter sleepers these days with one going to bed and rising earlier than the other. I think we would sleep better if the mattresses move independently but don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Davida1968 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:28:57

Definitely a shared bedroom/bed, but DH usually sleeps in the spare room, due to a snoring issue. However we always have a morning cuddle in our own bed - plus a chat and a cuppa. The spare room has to be given up when we have visitors - then we manage sleeping together, thanks to ear-plugs!

eilys Tue 24-Dec-19 10:30:13

I would do as you insist, can’t believe you share a bed when you would be happier sleeping on your own

janeayressister Tue 24-Dec-19 10:30:55

Difficult because sleeping apart means less spontaneous intimacy. Intimacy is something that we share and has a lovely knock on effect.
However, we have different sleeping patterns. So sometimes I am in the Marital bed and sometimes in a equally comfortable guest bed and visa versa. We always move out if one or other of us is ill.
We always sleep together in hotels as there is no choice.
I am contemplating getting two electric beds that can be zipped together which will get rid of my DHs habit of sitting on the bed putting his socks on and making the bed go up and down when I am snoozing. Lol

Leah50 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:36:35

Separate rooms for many years, now separate floors as he needs our downstairs bathroom.

CBBL Tue 24-Dec-19 10:36:36

Together for us! We are both light sleepers and wake up frequently, but prefer things as they are. Hubby has health problems that mean he is pain most of the time, so he does sometimes get out of bed and play games on the computer until he is tired enough to go to sleep again. I can't get to asleep until he is back in bed - but we're fine!

Nanny41 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:51:51

We share the same bed, husband goes to bed early and gets up early, I am a night owl.He sleeps under a heavy duvet I must have a light one even in the winter, like" jusnoneed" husband, mine is restless looks like he has had a fight when he gets out of bed, my side is hardly touched. Everything works out fine for us.

Kartush Tue 24-Dec-19 11:08:38

Always the same bed, sometimes if one of us is ill we will both sleep in the lounge on the recliner chairs. We both go to bed at the same time but he falls asleep immediately and I read for an hour or so. I find I cannot sleep if I don’t hear him snoring.