Gransnet forums

Chat

Best and Worst Christmas presents this year

(105 Posts)
Vintagegal13 Wed 25-Dec-19 18:30:09

Just me being nosey - I was widowed 2 years ago and have no family, so spent the day on my own. I got dressed in my Sunday best, and cooked a proper dinner and had presents from friends which I was very grateful for, I loved them all. I just wondered if anyone got anything really random or wonderful surprises.

Margs Sat 28-Dec-19 11:34:30

Well don Vintagegal13 - you sound as if you had the Christmas YOU wanted and stuff all the expectations put out by the media.

I bet a lot of people on this thread wish they could have been you!

There's a lot of tosh surrounding the "Perfect Family Christmas" and it's no coincidence, surely, that lawyers report a hefty spike in divorce enquiries in January......

phoenix Fri 27-Dec-19 21:38:17

I think I may qualify in the sort of "insult to injury" category!

Apart from the knife sharpener tchconfused (see a previous post) Mr P bought me a selection of bath bombs.

Please hear in mind that I only bath occasionally, generally preferring to shower.

They were labelled with cryptic descriptions such as "Ocean 11" , and "Shea Delight", and even "Drama Queen" tchshock

I had obviously opened the box in the wrong way, as it was only when sorting out the cardboard for recycling that I found the sort of index thing, such as you might get in a box of chocolates. tchblush

So, earlier this evening I decided I would have a bath. This would also give me a chance to give my feet a bit of a soak, to allow the device he bought me for removing hard skin a fighting chance of working (yes, I know, I'm so spoilt)

Having chosen "The Big Easy" (lavender, apparently) I ran the bath and dropped it in.

It fizzed as expected, then proceeded to release lavender "petals" and goes knows what other botanical by products into the water.

I relaxed in the warm fragrant liquid, and sipped my glass of Cava (well, may as well go the whole hog, after all, you can't do that in the shower, can you?)

So got out, removed the bath plug and then spent 10 minutes cleaning the damn bath to remove all the sodding purple debris left clinging to the sides!

seadragon Fri 27-Dec-19 20:27:01

Auntie Flo and Hetty Maud. I think they got it through their art gallery but found this 'silver' version on line: www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/522542886/steampunk-brooch-silver-bee-lightbulb Mine doesn't light up but I did try!! BTW - I had an Aunty Flo (Ellis) in Somerset - a great aunt really...

Stansgran Fri 27-Dec-19 20:09:07

Best present - amber and silver earrings from DH to match a brooch he had given me and worst - three miniature panettone past their sellby date!

Nortsat46 Fri 27-Dec-19 17:33:41

Best - a lovely gold ring from my partner which I had only admired in passing.

Least best - our lovely neighbours bought us a very peculiar tea set. We never use tiny tea cups and seldom drink tea.
They are so kind but this is going straight to Oxfam ( in another area, I wouldn’t want them to see it)

vampirequeen Fri 27-Dec-19 16:35:05

DH bought me a gift that may sound strange but was wonderful. I have become worried that, as I get older, I am turning into St Barbara (patron saint of bearded ladies). I remember my grandma shaving every morning, I have very sensitive skin which reacts badly to most creams and lotions so I assumed that I was doomed to end up like her. DH researched online, spoke to a pharmacist and bought me facial hair removing cream which not only works but doesn't inflame my skin. Definitely one of the best presents ever!

Auntieflo Fri 27-Dec-19 09:47:29

Seadragon, does it light up?
It looks as though the body is made from a bulb.

HettyMaud Fri 27-Dec-19 09:29:30

Sea dragon, your beautiful brooch is definitely to my taste. I love it and wish it was mine.

Bluebird64 Fri 27-Dec-19 09:27:45

My best Christmas present this year - and my best present EVER - was my new little grandson, born in April. He is gorgeous, my daughter and her partner are the best mum and dad ever, and it's all been just perfect!

Chewbacca Thu 26-Dec-19 23:38:57

Oddest present was the plastic snow globe that, when I shook it, it didn't have any "snow" falling. So it was just a plastic globe with a little plastic church inside, sat in water. hmm

Best and most appreciated gift was vouchers for tea for 2 at a local, very naice tea shop. I also love the tea, coffee and sugar canisters, signage in Welsh.

Daisyboots Thu 26-Dec-19 23:15:16

A bit of black humour considering my ill health. DH has just been enthusing jokingly about his present from me this year which was zilch. My reply was well I am still alive what more do you want? I didnt have anything from him either.

CanadianGran Thu 26-Dec-19 23:10:06

It's the small thoughtful things we appreciate. Gloves, a cookbook, nice bottle of wine, and a gift certificate at a nice restaurant etc. We have told our children we really don't need anything but it is always nice to be thought of.

Vintagegal, thank you for your happy thoughts and cheerful attitude! And aren't dogs wonderful for keeping your spirits up, and forcing you to get out for walks!

Phoebes Thu 26-Dec-19 23:00:12

Anything my gorgeous husband gives me is my best present! (mainly because I told him exactly what I wanted!) All my presents were lovely this year, but we did have rather a preponderance of shortbread!

seadragon Thu 26-Dec-19 22:19:35

They know me so well...!

seadragon Thu 26-Dec-19 22:18:52

Thrilled to get this from my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. Not everyone's taste I know but reminiscent of the fabulous Lady Hale's stunning spider brooch

grannysyb Thu 26-Dec-19 21:44:32

Not a present, but a lovely card from my Sil thanking us for all we do and that DD and he were privileged to have us in their lives. I was really moved, particularly as now my GCs are much older I am not really needed.

BradfordLass72 Thu 26-Dec-19 21:30:49

Evie64 If you grow either roses or tomatoes, they both love Epsom Salts and it makes a wonderfully relaxing foot or bath soak.

Great thread Vintage I'm enjoying it as well flowers thankyou and Happy New Year.

Lizbethann55 Thu 26-Dec-19 21:19:41

Our present to DD (amongst other things) was a very expensive bottle of fancy gin. Her present to us (as well as other stuff) a pregnancy test thing with "three weeks pregnant " written on it. She and her DH have been trying for years and had been told it was unlikely!!!

lemongrove Thu 26-Dec-19 20:19:56

What a great thread.....just what we need something light and frothy on Boxing Day?
Best present this year, a warm padded type coat, worse present a lot of nice bath treats ( no bath!) ?

M0nica Thu 26-Dec-19 20:19:17

Best: from DH. The rather expensive perfume I love and use a lot seems no longer to be readily available in duty free shops, but Dh searched and bought me a large bottle.

Worst: to be honest there wasn't one.

Evie64 Thu 26-Dec-19 19:39:49

Worst - Epsom Salts and a loofah! Best - very pretty copper necklace, just hope it doesn't make my neck go green?

CarolynBF Thu 26-Dec-19 19:24:10

Our best present this year was from our youngest daughter who is 20...a long weekend in Prague! As we haven't been able to travel abroad for many years we're so excited. She's only on apprenticeship wages so for her to do this is so amazing. And our eldest daughter is buying us new luggage. Flights and a beautiful Airbnb are all booked....I'm still in shock.
Worst present for my husband was a litre of vodka from his parents.....he's teetotal, lol. Guess I'll just have to drink it smile

Vintagegal13 Thu 26-Dec-19 18:11:09

Please can I say a big 'thank you' to all of you for sharing your Christmas presents with me. I really enjoyed hearing about them all, and made me feel even more festive! I am not sad because I was lucky enough to have 14 years of presents and Christmasses (?sp) with my late husband. I spent the day with my gorgeous rescue dog - we have been together 10 months, she loved her presents, and of course anything that I was given was 'hers' too! Once again, thank you so much, and wishing you all a peaceful, gentle and happy 2020.

Grammaretto Thu 26-Dec-19 17:48:05

DD and I gave eachother the exact same pairs of socks.

DH has given me (us) 3 DVDs which we are about to sit and begin watching by the fire now we are back home after a couple of wonderful days with DD and her lovely family.

dragonfly46 Thu 26-Dec-19 17:16:33

I had lovely presents, especially the dragonfly necklace from my DD. She is so thoughtful and knows I love dragonflies.