Gransnet forums

Chat

Good morning Boxing Day

(59 Posts)
NanKate Thu 26-Dec-19 07:25:11

Where are you all ? ??

hulahoop Fri 27-Dec-19 09:23:48

Overcast day today had a good but noisy Boxing Day but we always enjoy it no bins to be emptied for another fornight so oh up and went to tip 8am says it was getting busy ! Just talking myself into getting vac out ?

dragonfly46 Thu 26-Dec-19 17:13:49

Happy Christmas Mick good to see you back safely.

Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 17:11:34

Hope you had a lovely Christmas with your sister Mick it’ll be nice to have you back to open up for us in the morning! If it were me I’d have to set my alarm clock.
?

NanKate Thu 26-Dec-19 16:58:44

Welcome back Mick. We will wait for you to open tomorrow. ?

CaroleAnne Thu 26-Dec-19 14:37:25

Good afternoon all you good folk. I am so pleased that you all had a good christmas.
It is good to hear from Gillybob and know that her christmas went well despite being on anti biotics and unable to have a drink.
Yes I agree that your sister was inconsiderate re her pooch. Sometimes less said the better if you want a peaceful time.
So glad that your DH is getting there.
We are at a lovely hotel in Wiltshire until tomorrow. They have catered for our every whim including a surprise stocking outside of our room yesterday morning from santa!!
We have our son and DIL coming on sunday staying overnight so we will be having a belated christmas dinner at home then.
I hope that you all have a pleasant Boxing day.xxthanks

Marydoll Thu 26-Dec-19 14:02:16

Merry Christmas, Mick, we missed you! tchsmile

12Michael Thu 26-Dec-19 13:56:42

Good Morning latish,
Just got back travelled down a busy in places A5 between A41 ,and Towcester, wet all the way down.
Mick

glammagran Thu 26-Dec-19 13:20:24

Christmas Day was a lot better. DD, partner and DGD2 spent yesterday and overnight with us and his parents and Gran came over for a drink. She is 95 - very unsteady on her feet but sharp as a tack. Partner and his brother picked her up from the North East where she lives and brought her back to Wiltshire. A lovely day. In 2 days all my bedrooms will be rammed as I host 10.

Grammaretto Thu 26-Dec-19 12:37:20

Late on here but just had to drop by and say Hi while we still have some light here in Aberdeenshire.
The weans are watching a Christmas animation. The delicious food mainly consumed. We were up late playing board games - to much hilarity.
We've had 2 breaksfasts.
So glad that Gilly sounds so upbeat despite her trials. the sister and dog

Onwards and upwards everyone!

Pantglas2 Thu 26-Dec-19 12:09:07

I know I’ve just missed good morning- but I’ve been up and at it for hours! Yoga, tea, maple and bacon pancakes, turkey stripped, stock simmered, turkey & sweet corn chowder made!

Phew! Off to DD for late lunch & champers then home for new worzel gummidge!

Hope all unwell improve and all who dashed around after everyone else yesterday has a looked-after day today - you deserve it!

Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 11:52:09

Blowy this morning ( weatherwise ) that made me giggle EV
?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 26-Dec-19 11:47:29

A belated good morning all from a wet South Notts where it's absolutely throwing it down.
A quiet day in store after an enjoyable and noisy visit to sister with various family members.
A healthier regime begins today!
Keep on keeping on to all.

glammagran Thu 26-Dec-19 11:44:46

My Christmas Eve was quite eventful! We had beef stroganoff for dinner which necessitated DH using brandy to flambé beef with our culinary blowtorch. When he’d finished he put it back in the drawer it lives in. We ate in the dining room but at first thought the strange smell was just the hot smoked paprika in the meal till we realised we could smell burning. Smoke was pouring out of the middle drawer. Yep, he hadn’t fully turned the blowtorch off. Spent rest of evening washing contents of all 3 drawers and cleaning paintwork. Middle drawer has melted inside so will have to replace some or all of it. Kitchen is only 3 years old. I was NOT impressed. ???

Susiewakie Thu 26-Dec-19 11:05:32

Hi it's wet and windy in derby been for a run .waiting for Xmas 2 as DGD and DD are arriving soon listening to music

EllanVannin Thu 26-Dec-19 11:04:04

Good Morning All x A pleasant Boxing Day to you.
Blowy this morning ( weatherwise ) damp and dreary after the glorious day yesterday when I was in two minds whether to get the washing done first thing as it would have dried, but I thought twice in case the neighbours thought I'd gone crackers altogether.

Step-daughter arrived here on Christmas Eve for her few days stay and it's been great so far. D was here for her Christmas dinner after work at about 6pm and the meal was done to a turn, one GS came with her so there were 4 of us tucking in, plates loaded !

During the day, phones never stopped with my step-families sending their wishes from various parts of the country. It's heartwarming to be so close-knit and I'd paused for a moment thinking how lucky I was as I realised that not all families have the same bond. Looking forward to seeing the GGC tomorrow when I take their presents, my bedroom resembles a grotto at the moment.

Turkey and fry-up for the two of us today, more trifle and crack open the Christmas cake, so we won't fade away.

I've loved reading about others and how you've all spent your day.
I see Gillybob was working flat out---even after all she's gone through, well done to you girlie. xx

Susan I hope it's nothing serious with H as it's always a worry and pleased that the day went well for Dragonfly, for all of you as well as it's a busy time with its preparations, so you can heave a sigh of relief that the " worst " is over now although it goes so quickly.

Have a good rest today if you can Marydoll and take things easy.
Stay well and if travelling, stay safe.

Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 10:59:11

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s raining. I don’t know the temperature - I’m guessing all of you who do are using Alexa? I will join you next week when I can be bothered to set mine up!

I’m with you cornergran I’m a definite convert to eating out. I missed it all yesterday as I had the most horrid cramping stomach bug. Everyone else had a great time - no shopping for sprouts, queuing up, cooking & timing, clearing up the mess etc! Our youngest daughter said the children really ate well in the festive restaurant and then once home just over two hours later, delighted to play with their toys again!

Ginny42 someone in Malaga told me that their ‘old’ lights (gorgeous) had been sold to Liverpool! The new ones in Malaga were still pretty spectacular when we saw them I have to admit.

I’m achey today. Had some scrambled eggs for my Christmas supper last night and I’ve turned a corner as I actually enjoyed a slice of toast just now!

gillybob you are the absolute saint in your family. Honestly it beggars belief that your sister brought her bluddy dog when surely she must be aware your husband has allergies and is fragile after his surgery? Love me, love my dog comes to mind. Just to turn up like that with it - I would have been seething. When it’s a done deal like that (plus Christmas) what can you do? Some people have NO self awareness.

I hope after doing the sodding clear up (why did they not help?) you can put your feet up. You could make some mashed potatoes today!
?

Hope Boxing Day is kind to us all whether we have plans or none. x

Legs55 Thu 26-Dec-19 10:39:49

NanKate I've only just gt my email from GN, I've already been out for newspaper no home delivery today /bread & milk. Very few people stirring here in a very wet & windy Devon. Such a contrast to the beautiful, frosty start yesterday, it was blue skies & sunshine all day, today I'm hibernatingtchgrin

Lovely day yesterday with my family, youngest DGS wasn't well but was such a good boy, he's 32 months & loved opening his presents. Older DGS is 9 & got lots of lovely presents too. We had a change this year & went out for Sunday Lunch as our Christmas Day & yesterday just had a lovely buffet, much more relaxed.

Hope every-one had a good Christmas & enjoy your Boxing Day whatever you're doing, it's just me & the cat todaytchsmile

dragonfly46 Thu 26-Dec-19 10:39:40

gilly you are a star. But I sense an upbeat feel from your post which is good to hear.
I certainly think you drew the short straw with that sister of yours though.
I hope you have a lovely Boxing Day xx

conor Thu 26-Dec-19 10:36:39

Good morning from a very wet Essex. Recovering after a lovely day at DS House. Very excited DGSs with toys and wrapping paper everywhere!! Dinner was enormous and delicious and I'm hosting today, so turkey going into oven shortly. Think there is less pressure with Boxing Day dinner, even though exactly the same recipe and I do enjoy seeing family around the table. DD working today, NHS, but will be home to join us for dinner. I forsee a PJ day tomorrow??xxx

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 10:34:51

After glorious weather yesterday the usual Boxing Day walk with the family (ending at the pub) is off as it is pouring with rain again in S Wales. Just DH and me and we will just putter around at home.

gillybob you are a trooper but you need to put your foot down with a firm hand with some of your family. I think I'd have been tempted to feed sister's dinner to her dog.
I hope you can have a more relaxing time today if it is just you and your DH.

Whatever you're all doing, enjoy Boxing Day, the feast of St Stephen, everyone.

Bellanonna Thu 26-Dec-19 10:33:16

Gilly I love your humour despite all that’s going on in your life. I’m glad you had company, especially that of little Evie, but the dog? confused. Well there is a separate thread about uninvited dogs. You certainly had your hands full by the sound of it but hopefully in a positive way it was a bit of a much-needed distraction.
Finish those antibiotics and enjoy a nice glass (glasses) of wine
Happy Boxing Day x

Mapleleaf Thu 26-Dec-19 10:05:34

Good morning all,

It's very grey and dull today in my part of Yorkshire but for the moment it's still dry.

We had a lovely day yesterday, starting with the short Morning service at church followed by a visit to family for a few hours, then back home to open gifts and prepare dinner. Today will be a not do much kind of day.

Glad your day went well for you gilly but sorry that your family left you to do not only all the cooking, but all the clearing away, too!!

Hope everyone has a good Boxing Day.

Nortsat46 Thu 26-Dec-19 10:05:31

Good Morning all GM readers and posters.
So nice to hear about everyones lovely day yesterday. We too had a lovely family day.
Our ‘bird within a bird’ (duck, turkey, goose) exceeded expectations and the meat juices made lovely gravy.

Nice easy day - just a little bit of cooking this evening and we will probably start on the Christmas cake today.

Have a lovely day all. Sending good thoughts to all who are facing challenges and especially to those (a number in this thread) experiencing Christmas without a significant loved one ...?

MiniMoon Thu 26-Dec-19 10:03:21

Good morning all.
We had a lovely day yesterday. We had a quiet morning and then went off to the pub for our lunch, 5 courses! I was fit to burst by the time we'd finished. We saw our son briefly as he was assisting the chef, and also waiting tables.
Home again for a quiet afternoon/evening.
Today we are going to visit DD and SiL and four grandchildren. They celebrate Yule, so have had extended present giving and receiving, today we take them our gifts.
I haven't mentioned the weather, it is overcast at present with rain forecast later, currently 4 degrees Celsius outside.
I hope everyone has a happy day.

Hetty58 Thu 26-Dec-19 09:47:45

We had a lovely day yesterday but Boxing day is always my favourite. We can relax and there's plenty to eat with no cooking to do!