Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you seen any of the Royal Family up close?

(135 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 18:36:40

Or bobbed a curtesy? Shaken a hand?

I was in Aberdeen in 1971 when the Royal Yacht docked. I was 16y and waved as the posh limousines sailed past. I caught Princess Anne’s eye. I wonder if she can recall it?
?

Many years later, when I was working at the old Park Hospital (the first NHS hospital in 1948 opened by Nye Bevan) Princess Margaret came to visit. Gosh she was tiny! Very old fashioned American tan tights with white peep toe sandals. She looked bored. Probably was.

That’s all I’ve seen up close of any of the RF.

You?

Anniebach Fri 27-Dec-19 10:02:39

I had forgotten I was in Aberfan when The Queen, Prince Phillip and Lord Snowdon visited the village.

harrigran Fri 27-Dec-19 10:03:23

I have been to lunch with the Queen, memorable because I only got to eat half my lunch as they clear the table when the Queen puts down her knife and fork.
DH was awarded an OBE so we went to the palace but it was Prince Charles presenting the awards that day, Queen was giving her speech in Parliament.

Dazzle Fri 27-Dec-19 10:07:48

My parents used to own a pub frequented by RN pilots. One evening Andrew came in with two body guards. They order a large meal with lots of drinks so the bill was extensive. They then walked out without paying!! Me, being 18 chased after them and demanded they pay!!! I was told by bodyguard that they normally return after to do so!! Not the point!! Lol! They did pay but Andrew was most put out! Many years later I was at a cocktail party in Gibraltar that he attended, so I asked if he had started to pay his bar bills yet!!!

Urmstongran Fri 27-Dec-19 10:12:57

I did think of Aberfan Anniebach when I started the thread but didn’t like to mention it.
?

KatyK Fri 27-Dec-19 10:15:07

Ten years ago we went to a garden party at the palace. We saw the Queen and Philip close up and we wandered around their garden. The heavens opened and they let us into the palace. We also went to trooping the colour some years ago and saw a lot of them, including Princess Diana. I have photos of her.

Chocolatenoodle8 Fri 27-Dec-19 10:15:44

Yes. At the International Garden Festival 1984. We received an invitation to attend the opening ceremony and, during The Queen’s walk about we were 2-3ft away from her. HM The Queen is tiny; with thick make-up and stout shoes. Completely wowed by her!

EthelJ Fri 27-Dec-19 10:17:27

Yes Prince Charles ans Camillia. Through work. I was in the line up to be introduced to them they asked. A couple of questions and I think shook hands. they were just like any other late middle aged couple which apart from the money, pomp, ceremony and tradition is what they are.

Anniebach Fri 27-Dec-19 10:20:55

Urmstongran The Queen has been back to Aberfan 5 times

Worthingpatchworker Fri 27-Dec-19 10:24:20

I have photographs of me with Prince Charles when I worked at Gatwick Airport....
A photo of me with Diana in Brighton...
And a photo of me seated in the presence of the Queen Mother....

Have to say Diana was stunning and tall......wonderful.

Houndi Fri 27-Dec-19 10:25:37

I metxthe Queen when she opened the George Elliott Hospital at Nuneaton.I was a nursing student at the time.We were given sheet of paperxin how to address her.Jam as in Mam.She has beautiful skin a complete clear complexion

Mrsdof Fri 27-Dec-19 10:27:52

Tidyskatesmum I hope you washed your hands thoroughly after shaking Thatcher’s hand. grin. My husband was a Train driver/ Instructor before he retired and was chosen three times to drive the Royals (considered an honour). Twice for the Queen and once for Princess Anne. They never even deigned to look at him let alone acknowledge him. I am not a monarchist although I suppose they do bring in the tourists!

Saggi Fri 27-Dec-19 10:29:42

No...I’ve always gone out of my way to avoid them if necessary. I wound not curtsy it now to anyone. I’m as good as anybody.

Saggi Fri 27-Dec-19 10:30:17

‘Curtsy or bow’

Grandmabeach Fri 27-Dec-19 10:31:22

I have met and shaken hands twice with Princess Anne. She was so natural with a beautiful complexion. The first time we spoke for sometime. I know she did not recognise us next time but she did speak to our daughter who had been chosen to present a bouquet. Our daughter was thrilled.
I also met Prince Charles when he attended the 700th anniversary of our town's charter. I was not very impressed. He barely spoke to people in the line-up and seemed to be in a hurry to get away.

inishowen Fri 27-Dec-19 10:33:15

When I was a child we were issued with little Union Jack flags and given the afternoon off school. Princess Margaret was passing through our village. We waited and waited and eventually a big black car swept past. We glimpsed a hand waving and that was it. So disappointing!

Happysexagenarian Fri 27-Dec-19 10:34:50

Yes, saw the Queen at the Trooping of the Colour many years ago. She was close enough to touch as she left the parade ground. I was in awe of her beautiful skin and colouring. Also exchanged a few words with Prince Philip when he was sailing at Cowes one day, very pleasant, relaxed and ordinary.

Happysexagenarian Fri 27-Dec-19 11:00:08

Ooh, just remembered.... Way back in the sixties I popped into Harrods to buy pastries to take home (I was working in Kensington) and a young woman about my age standing next to me pointed to the display and recommended I try a particular cake. I thanked her and said I would. She looked vaguely familiar, she was with another woman. It was only as I was paying I realised it was Princess Anne. I looked back in her direction but she'd moved on. The assistant smiled and said 'Yes you're absolutely right'.

grannytotwins Fri 27-Dec-19 11:02:15

I was in a park with my small daughter when a large helicopter landed. The passenger jumped out, rushed over to me and had a long chat. It was Prince Charles. He talked about his boys a lot. He was very charming. I met him formally a few years later and he immediately said that he’d met me before!

Grannyhall29 Fri 27-Dec-19 11:05:50

I haven't but my BiL worked at Buckingham Palace so him and my sister regularly saw members of the Royal family but I have had a bath in the Palace

jenni123 Fri 27-Dec-19 11:06:57

When my ex husband was in the army and we were posted to Germany, Prince Charles was Col in Chief of the regiment we were attached to. When he visited the Regiment he came into the officers mess and walked through the line of people there and shook our hands.

henetha Fri 27-Dec-19 11:09:49

I made eye contact with Prince Philip once, when I was about 17. He waved at me from their car which passed close to me. I thought he was very handsome.
I've seen the Queen twice at fairly close quarters. She has lovely skin.
And Princess Anne once when she opened a charity shop in Torquay. She looked lovely, her photos don't do her justice.
My ambition is to see Charles and Camilla as I am a big fan
of theirs.

Jan16 Fri 27-Dec-19 11:11:41

Come to Norfolk to see the Royal Family. See them walk to church at Sandringham at Christmas. People come from miles away - though we haven’t been for years! Kate shops in Holt and KingsLynn. Phillip walks round the estate - no driving now!!!

SirChenjin Fri 27-Dec-19 11:17:59

Or Deeside - you’ll see them in Braemar or Ballater, or walking around one of the estates. Most people just leave them alone though (out of disdain or respect, depending on their leanings).

Madmaggie Fri 27-Dec-19 11:23:39

I've met the duke of Gloucester. He was opening our new HQ, he was very pleasant, he was accompanied by our senior person. I was asked to hand round refreshments & I thought, poor man everyone is so in awe of who he is noone is feeding him. So I very politly offered the platter of goodies & a small plate. I got a wide grin & he admitted to being starving &was hoping for some food. He asked if it was possible to have a glass of the orange juice instead of a hot drink (we always had cartons of it ready for the cadets) well, the wretched carton wasn't opening, my senior officers were getting hot under the collar, I had my scissors in my shoulder bag & was able to chop off the corner. He even helped, he said he'd heard that lancashire folk were friendly & we'd shown him a grand day. My daughters met princess Anne & said she was very impressed, she was extremely clued up, talked a lot of sense. She was chosen to be part of the guard of honour for HM & was surprised how petite she is.

Notright Fri 27-Dec-19 11:25:01

Where do I start. My grandchildren attended the Royal School in Windsor Park, and so there have been a few meetups. My grandson, aged 5 had a conversation with her, She used to attend special days like Mothers Day and Xmas, events by the school in the Royal ~chapel in the park, so both the children have seen her several times, and myself when attending these events. My GS won a poetry competition and he had to read it in front of an audience including the Queen, won, and received his prize from the Queen and a conversation. That's enough to go on.
Apart from the Queen, when a guide I saw P.Margaret; And when I lived in London I used to follow the events around.
Never sawDiana much to my sorrow. Seen Philip, Andrew!, Anne,And the dear Queen Mum when she visited the school I was teaching at. We are a very royalty supporting family. Oh yes, my daughter who lives in Windsor had an accidental face to face with the Queen when the car she was in came along a very narrow road where my daughter was about to get into her parked car. The Queens car was driving very slowly and my daughter waved with both hands frantically, the Queen laughed and waved back. Aren't we a lucky family!.