Gransnet forums

Chat

Who is hosting Gransnet’s New Year’s Party ?

(70 Posts)
Gemini1789 Fri 27-Dec-19 21:03:39

Will it be the “ crazies “ ( mentioned with affection ! ) carrying on from the Christmas Ball ? I think Lemongrove Towers is almost completely trashed . But I could be wrong. I was hoping for an invitation and maybe buy a frock in the sales.
Does anyone know the venue and dress code ?

Cloudshaper Sun 29-Dec-19 11:45:33

Well I'm going to come as Grayson Perry. Whats not to like, less make-up than I usually wear and better co-ordinated clothes. Hoping the nail the sophisticated look next year.

Scribbles Sun 29-Dec-19 12:18:45

Oh, how tickled I ham Scribbles we can have fun with the feather duster

Is Lord L coming, too, Lemon?

I've just found a big bag of party poppers in the attic? as well as late Uncle Toby's set of handbells ??so we can make some noise to welcome the new year. I had planned to bring late uncle Toby also but I can't wake him up so I'm just helping myself to his car key - that Bentley Corniche convertible will eat up the miles to Gemini Hall and look good parked on the gravel by the front door. Anybody need a lift? Toot-toot!

lemongrove Sun 29-Dec-19 23:30:13

Lord Lemongrove is up for anything Scribbles ( as you already know )tchwink so wild horses wouldn’t keep him away.He plays croquet with Lord Gemini every other Thursday ( they both cheat)?

lemongrove Sun 29-Dec-19 23:34:17

What shall we wear? As George Formby I thought a tweed suit with an open shirt would fit the bill with my ukulele across my ample chest.?

Scribbles Mon 30-Dec-19 10:34:10

I'm planning to raid Mr Scribbles' and Uncle Toby's wardrobes for a suitable lounge suit in grey or beige, with a white shirt and a colourful Jacquard tie. With the big orange and yellow feather duster from the cleaning cupboard (fully extended, it's taller than me!) I should be instantly recognisable grin.

Oh, and I've remembered the cobweb thingy also in the cupboard. Big, soft bristles like an enormous pompom on a stick. It reaches into all sorts of nooks and crannies so I'll bring it along as maybe Lords L and G would like a turn with it.
Unfortunately, Mr Scribbles won't be joining us as he's going to a Temperance meeting.

Pittcity Mon 30-Dec-19 13:01:51

I've decided on a flapper dress to welcome in the 20s ?‍♀️

lemongrove Mon 30-Dec-19 18:53:03

We already have one of those multicoloured pompom things
Scribbles .....Lord L likes nothing better than a good going over with it before his bath.
Sounds good Pittcity will you be doing The Charleston?
Very thoroughly modern millie.?
What is everyone else coming as?

lemongrove Mon 30-Dec-19 18:56:47

After combing the cellar at Lemongrove Towers last night, I came across a few cases of exclusive IrnBru from 1946 and a whole barrel of sherry ( labelled best before 1865) so will bring them to our New Year’s Bash.They should be nicely mellowed by now.

Scribbles Mon 30-Dec-19 21:10:43

Gosh, I must try the pompom thingy on Mr S sometime. He could do with a little de-cobwebbing at times, especially after a heavy night at the Temperance Society.

Is there a croquet lawn at Gemini Hall? I've never played but happy to learn and I can bring my old school hockey stick if it helps.

I've made some herby sausage rolls and there's a bottle of some bright green liqueur we brought back from Magaluf - not creme de menthe; it's sort of liquid aniseed balls and has fronds of stuff that looks like seaweed waving around in the bottle.

Anybody like Kahlua? Aunty Doreen bought it for new year 1984 but, sadly, got run over by Uncle Toby before she had chance to drink it. Sad, really, sad and he's never been the same man since.

Doodle Mon 30-Dec-19 21:12:58

I’m coming as Darth Vader (ok I just happen to have the costume in my wardrobe) very topical at the moment. I will of course be coming with my light sabre. I have roped in the Captain and the Admiral to come with me as my stormtroopers and Troy is coming as R2D2. I expect to win the fancy dress competition with this lot tchgrin

Scribbles Mon 30-Dec-19 21:59:31

Just thought - if I can succeed in waking late uncle Toby, he could put his tall hat on and come with me as a Diddy man tchwink. He's only little but he'll certainly keep things moving, particularly the serving wenches who he'll chase all over the estate for a nibble at their canapés.

Scribbles Mon 30-Dec-19 22:01:23

Heavens, Doodle. That sounds like an invasion force! But we can have fun with the light sabre.

Gemini1789 Mon 30-Dec-19 22:08:15

No shoes , no dogs and no C de M , Calli ! ??‍♀️ We have our standards at the Hall.

Gemini1789 Mon 30-Dec-19 22:26:33

Judging the fancy dress competition we have a surprise guest who has become available at short notice. He had been booked to go to Oz but had to cancel because of a very rare medical condition ( he can’t sweat , apparently ) .
You’re right , Lemon , somethingshire isn’t easy to find and you need to take care at the junction so here is the Sat Nav post code .
PE35 6 EN

Gemini1789 Mon 30-Dec-19 22:33:35

Of course Scribbles we do have a croquet lawn but you have to bring your own flamingo .
P.S. will your light sabre change Mr Grumpy into Mr Exciting ? I do hope so.
Anyone else bringing a famous and very attractive man ?

Callistemon Mon 30-Dec-19 22:38:25

Gemini can we all boo him very loudly please?

I have to wear my Louboutins with my ball gown and long gloves. Sorry, not taking them off for no-one.

I mean anyone blush

Doodle Mon 30-Dec-19 23:29:31

My light sabre is very versatile gemini. I am sure it would give Mr Grumpy a jolt. scribbles just what sort of fun do you think you will be having with my light sabre? ?

Gemini1789 Tue 31-Dec-19 01:27:49

Ok Calli , you can wear Louboutins but very sorry light sabres won’t go through our airport style scanners . Doodle will have to zap Mr G in the Haha ! That is he will be hiding in the Haha I mean ?.

loopyloo Tue 31-Dec-19 10:08:14

It has to be champagne. I'll bring several crates. My chauffeur will carry them in. He's such a good guy.
And my musical friends will play for us I'm sure.
Really looking forward to this. x

Scribbles Tue 31-Dec-19 12:56:34

Doodle, I was hoping your light sabre might help us break into the strong room where Mr Gemini is reputed to keep the rare 100 year old single malt whisky. But if you aren't allowed to bring it indoors then I guess it just needs to be kept handy in case the special guest does any posing on the doorstep with his arm around anyone unsuitable.tchshock

Off now to call the bird sanctuary and ask if they'll lend me a flamingo.

Scribbles Tue 31-Dec-19 12:59:44

I've put the postcode into the Bentley's satnav. I see the surprise guest won't have far to travel!

Callistemon Tue 31-Dec-19 14:49:47

I'm going to put my feet up for a while

These Louboutins have given me corns and blisters, perhaps I'll be woke and wear my trainers with my ballgown after all.

lemongrove Tue 31-Dec-19 15:27:54

I used to have a pair of Louboutins .... they are brown and white French gun dogs aren’t they??

lemongrove Tue 31-Dec-19 15:30:18

We shall be setting off in an hour for Gemini Hall, being where it is in deepest Somethingshire and the fact that Lord L doesn’t care to go above 20 mph.
See you later! ??

Gemini1789 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:39:29

We’re all ready , Lemon. Drawbridge lowered . Watch your piercings on the scanner .
My friend Gloria is on her own tonight. She’s got a bit of a thing for Lord L . You don’t mind sharing him do you ? Would it be a good match do you think ? Gloria is 7 ft tall in her Jimmy Choos with purple hair down to her waist.