Gransnet forums

Chat

Who is hosting Gransnet’s New Year’s Party ?

(69 Posts)
Gemini1789 Fri 27-Dec-19 21:03:39

Will it be the “ crazies “ ( mentioned with affection ! ) carrying on from the Christmas Ball ? I think Lemongrove Towers is almost completely trashed . But I could be wrong. I was hoping for an invitation and maybe buy a frock in the sales.
Does anyone know the venue and dress code ?

lemongrove Fri 27-Dec-19 22:40:06

tchgrin
The way things are going the party could run until New Years Day there!
It is getting a bit messy underfoot though, so we could hire a coach and carry on at Gemini Hall if you will have us?

Gemini1789 Sat 28-Dec-19 11:28:03

Gemini Hall is available but comes with a warning. A Grumpy old man lives in the West Wing so we won’t tell him.
Everyone is welcome especially people who can bring goodies. Don’t think we’ve any wine left. ?

ninathenana Sat 28-Dec-19 12:06:43

We have a bottle of Prosecco, a couple of white and a red left in the cellar will that get me in Gemini ?

Carillion01 Sat 28-Dec-19 14:20:50

Gemini, I'll bring some homemade bramble gin, Creme de Menthe which is starting to turn a lovely violet colour and a couple of crates of the real hard stuff which Lemongrove thought she'd hidden in the Argy place that has no name.

Good few swigs there for New Year? ??.
What d'ya think? xx

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 14:58:48

Sounds like a party!???
I shall bring a crowd of my disreputable friends.?

Doodle Sat 28-Dec-19 15:13:12

I assume you include me in that lot lemon tchgrin
I will bring some goodies (found a bag of stale sausage rolls from the Argy). If we are lucky ? soop will come and bring some of her home baking too. It could be an acquired taste for some ?

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 15:17:23

Yes, New Years Eve wouldn't be complete without Soop’s
Homemade haggis making an entrance ( it’s usually so old it can arrive by itself after growing two little legs....think Quartermaster’s Stores)?

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 15:29:45

Can I come (if I ever make it out of Lemon's maze)? I could dash home for a quick shower and spruce up and bring some of my leek & cannabis quiche if that's OK? Oh, and there's a slightly peculiar trifle that's been in the fridge since last Tuesday week and my late uncle Toby's home made cranberry and rhubarb wine.

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 15:34:43

How late is Uncle Toby? Ancient homemade wine can go up like a rocket.

Carillion01 Sat 28-Dec-19 16:03:20

Blimey Scribbles that quiche sounds right up our street. Send over the receep please. Don't bother with the leek though ?

Cloudshaper Sat 28-Dec-19 16:44:43

Just popping a bottle of Banana Liquor behind the bar. A (horrible) lovely yellow colour - looks as though it could glow in the dark. Gift from Tenerife 20+ years ago.

Pittcity Sat 28-Dec-19 17:21:12

We've got some fireworks left over from the Millennium for midnight ?

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 17:33:26

Lemon, uncle Toby is late for everything! Usually because he's been imbibing too much of his own wine and drinks himself unconscious. The very faded labels on these bottles reads, as near as I can make out, August 1957. If it doesn't taste very nice, we could probably re-label it and sell it on eBay as drain unblocker.

Sorry,*Carillion*, that receep is a family secret, locked in a massive vault and guarded by dragons.

Carillion01 Sat 28-Dec-19 19:28:43

Never fear Scribbles, I'll nick filch the quiche receep from my old cookery book, written by the little people ☘

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 20:19:41

Shall we make it fancy dress? I shall come as George Formby,
Seeing as how I have a ukulele in the cupboard somewhere.
Heheee, turned out nice again!

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 21:59:57

I could come as Ken Dodd. I already have sticky-out teeth and mad hair so I just need to add a feather duster.?

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 22:21:42

Oh, how tickled I ham Scribbles we can have fun with the feather dusterwink

Gemini1789 Sat 28-Dec-19 22:31:54

Looks like it’s going to be a good do . All welcome and most of the goodies sound ——— , now I’m searching for a word . Help me out here .
One caveat. I draw the line at Creme de Menthe . Just leave it at home for when you clean your teeth , Carillion .
Now who shall I come as ? I’ll have a think.

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 22:39:21

I could bring one bottle of sweet wine C1987, a bottle of home made elderberry C1973 (about to explode), some cheap white rum someone brought years ago, non PC Prosecco and cans of out of date Cola.

I could also bring a bowl, add some rather dried up satsumas and brown bananas and make a punch.

Hope that will go down well.

I shall sing for you, rather like Maria Callas

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 22:42:17

I've decided to be Kiri te Kanawa instead.

warm mellow and vibrant

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 22:47:03

Have you been at the Baileys again Call ? Stop drinking it and bring it with you.

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 22:47:42

It was only Baileys cream with the Christmas Pud, honest!!

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 22:48:38

We had better start out soon, Gemini Hall is deep in somethingshire, if I remember rightly, and hard to find.

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 22:50:48

Will we have to take our shoes off Gemini?