Gransnet forums

Chat

Skirt length: honest opinions, please

(76 Posts)
Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 13:46:48

Please can I have your frank opinions because I just can't decide.

I rarely wear a skirt and, when I do, it's always well below the knee. Although I wore micro-mini skirts in the 1960s, I am now 69 and that time has long gone.

However, I saw this lovely cotton skirt in the Lands End sale and took a chance, thinking it would be a useful wardrobe addition for casual summer wear, holidays, etc. It's well made; good quality fabric; fits well and has a couple of useful patch pockets BUT ... Is it too short?

I haven't shown this much leg in decades; when I sit down, it shows my knees. OH is no help at all. "Nothing wrong with your legs," he muttered and shambled off somewhere.

I don't really want to send the skirt back but I equally don't want to look ridiculous (mutton dressed as lamb, as my Gran would have said). It feels a bit weird to be posting pictures of my own legs on here but it's the quickest way I can think of to elicit some honest views. (Lucy Katt was determined to intrude!).

Is it too short? Should I return it for a refund?

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 17:39:28

Thanks, Hetty. That is something I hadn't considered. No bulging veins but I might well have the spidery ones. OH will be asked to take some pics when he reappears.

midgey Sat 28-Dec-19 17:44:22

I am just looking up Landsend because I think it looks great!

SirChenjin Sat 28-Dec-19 17:47:21

If you do have spidery veins then 1)few people will notice or care, 2) they can be covered with camouflage make up or minimised with fake tan or 3)ignored if they don’t bother you smile

BBbevan Sat 28-Dec-19 17:57:29

You have nice legs. That skirt looks good to me. Go for it

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 19:15:24

Veins update:
OH has now returned and taken some pictures of the 'stern view'. I've studied them closely and happy to report there are definitely no nasty spidery veins. The skirt stays!

Thanks again to you all.

Tedber Sat 28-Dec-19 19:21:22

I think it looks lovely too - not too short at all.

P.S. I like what is behind your legs too on the seated one! Hello Lucy Katt

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 19:32:40

Tedber , I think that cat was Sarah Ferguson or a Kardashian in a previous life! She just has to be in any photograph, no matter what.

kazzerb Sat 28-Dec-19 19:33:49

Lovely, and the skirt is nice too smile

Fennel Sat 28-Dec-19 19:51:16

I wear skirts rather than trousers and they're all about that length - so don't worry about it!
My lower legs are spindleshanks, but I can't do anything about it now.
In summer I wear ankle-length skirts in cool fabrics.

Treebee Sat 28-Dec-19 19:59:31

Glad you’re keeping it, the skirt’s the perfect length I think.

Hithere Sat 28-Dec-19 20:08:48

Who cares about veins?

Wear what makes you feel good and empowers you as a person.
If people has an issue with it, they don't have to look

Septimia Sat 28-Dec-19 20:16:43

Personally the skirt's not to my taste - I prefer longer and not straight. But then I hate being anything like conventional. It's the belated hippie in me....

However, it's certainly not too short when you're sitting down and standing up I think you could even get away with it being a little shorter - maybe mid-knee.

JackyB Sat 28-Dec-19 20:28:55

Not sure how tall you are, but I think longer skirts make shorter people look even shorter as they draw the attention downwards. With the skirt at knee length you have everything in the right proportion.

Glad you kept it. Maybe you could shorten your other skirts too!!!

AllotmentLil Sat 28-Dec-19 21:21:07

I’d gladly swop legs with you - mine are sturdy so my skirts are maxi! Enjoy wearing that lovely skirt and all the compliments! smile

welbeck Sat 28-Dec-19 22:29:10

I agree with your husband. he knows best. follow his advice.
it looks just fine. definitely not too short. I wouldn't go any shorter though, but that's just my opinion. anyway irrelevant as this one is not too short.

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 22:31:26

Nothing wrong with your legs is quite a compliment!

leyla Sat 28-Dec-19 22:37:22

It’s certainly not too short. If anything slightly too long in my opinion!

JenniferEccles Sat 28-Dec-19 23:04:14

The skirt is absolutely fine. I wear skirts more than trousers and always choose knee length as I think they are more flattering than longer ones.

I tend to wear black opaque tights in winter which means slightly shorter skirts are ok.

I know why you queried it though as I have rejected otherwise lovely skirts simply because they were very slightly above the knee, which I would not feel comfortable with.

Tangerine Sat 28-Dec-19 23:07:36

It looks fine.

Chewbacca Sun 29-Dec-19 00:58:39

You've got what my Granny would say are "a pair of neat pins" Scribbles! The skirt length is perfect. Wear it with pride and pleasure.

vinasol Sun 29-Dec-19 07:03:08

I hate seeing older women n short skirts but that looks absolutely fine to me. Enjoy wearing it ?

Juliet27 Sun 29-Dec-19 07:17:52

I like my skirts to be the length yours is as I liken my knees to a couple of steak and kidney puds stuck on legs that aren’t too bad a shape. Such a shame!!

Alexa Sun 29-Dec-19 10:31:08

If you've got it flaunt it !

Happygirl79 Sun 29-Dec-19 11:12:24

Looks great

BlueSapphire Sun 29-Dec-19 11:35:03

Of course it's not too short! I am 74 and have summer dresses that length (or shorter...) And your legs are really shapely. Show them off!