Gransnet forums

Chat

Skirt length: honest opinions, please

(76 Posts)
Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 13:46:48

Please can I have your frank opinions because I just can't decide.

I rarely wear a skirt and, when I do, it's always well below the knee. Although I wore micro-mini skirts in the 1960s, I am now 69 and that time has long gone.

However, I saw this lovely cotton skirt in the Lands End sale and took a chance, thinking it would be a useful wardrobe addition for casual summer wear, holidays, etc. It's well made; good quality fabric; fits well and has a couple of useful patch pockets BUT ... Is it too short?

I haven't shown this much leg in decades; when I sit down, it shows my knees. OH is no help at all. "Nothing wrong with your legs," he muttered and shambled off somewhere.

I don't really want to send the skirt back but I equally don't want to look ridiculous (mutton dressed as lamb, as my Gran would have said). It feels a bit weird to be posting pictures of my own legs on here but it's the quickest way I can think of to elicit some honest views. (Lucy Katt was determined to intrude!).

Is it too short? Should I return it for a refund?

GagaJo Sat 28-Dec-19 14:23:23

I'm 15 years young, and I agree, I wish I had legs as good as yours!

You need different shoes with it though. A kitten heel would be good, or what would look REALLY good, a low spindle heel.

GagaJo Sat 28-Dec-19 14:23:39

15 years YOUNGER!!!! Type. Grrr

Grannyben Sat 28-Dec-19 15:12:11

Dear God, I thought it was going to be half way up to your bum!

As with everyone else's comments, it looks a perfect length for you

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 15:12:49

Yes, it looks fine to me

I rarely wear skirts and have decided all mine (very ancient ones) are too long now.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 28-Dec-19 15:20:11

Listen to your other half, he is quite right. There is nothing wrong with your legs, they could belong to woman half your age.

That skirt was a good buy, so wear it. Just remember to keep your knees closed when you sit down.

You won't look like mutton dressed a lamb, so our grandmothers can rest in peace. Mine used the expression too.

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 15:23:06

It looks great Scribbles ( love the shoes too!)
You could use Dove Summer Revived on your legs for a bit of colour,
but otherwise wear it and be happy.?

Dottygran59 Sat 28-Dec-19 15:25:37

It looks fab. 61 and I would certainly wear it. Great legs. Now go out and buy some more!!

Hithere Sat 28-Dec-19 15:27:08

Very cute

dahlia Sat 28-Dec-19 15:29:23

I honestly think you look lovely in this skirt, and it's the perfect length for summer or any season. Perhaps you would feel less self-conscious wearing tights or leg make-up - not that you need either!

cornergran Sat 28-Dec-19 15:37:09

Agree, wear it with pride.

Calendargirl Sat 28-Dec-19 15:45:11

It looks fine to me, I would tell you if I thought it too short.

kircubbin2000 Sat 28-Dec-19 15:48:55

Lovely cat.

NotAGran55 Sat 28-Dec-19 15:56:47

Really lovely . If I had your legs I would buy it too - just my colour.

Candelle Sat 28-Dec-19 16:04:00

It looks great - you have good legs so show them off!

I would wear it right now with thick, 60/80 denier tights (in bright red or black, with a coordinating top. Red and green look great together) finished off with knee-length boots, heeled or flat.

In the summer, wear without tights - you certainly can!

Enjoy, it fits you well and don't think it is too 'young'. It isn't.

ladymuck Sat 28-Dec-19 16:07:35

I think it looks nice, not short at all.

GrandmaMoira Sat 28-Dec-19 16:19:33

I think it's a perfect length. I'm near your age and that's what I would choose. Longer skirts can look dowdy and unflattering unless you are both young and tall.

SirChenjin Sat 28-Dec-19 16:48:39

It looks great and your legs look great too! Why on Earth don’t you show them off more often?

It’s quite a casual looking skirt so the shoes look fine if you’re dressing down or being casual - or maybe wear with a pair of Birkenstocks if it’s the summer?

Gemini1789 Sat 28-Dec-19 16:52:59

You don’t look ridiculous at all. Keep the skirt. ?

inkycog Sat 28-Dec-19 16:53:33

Great pair of pins. I think either longer or shorter .....shorter cord skirt and thick tights. You look fab!

Nico97 Sat 28-Dec-19 17:01:42

Go for it - we can't all be wrong grin

Yiayia4 Sat 28-Dec-19 17:05:08

Perfect enjoy

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 17:16:34

Well! Thank you all for your replies. You can't all be wrong. Decision made - I'll keep the skirt!
I'm not usually so indecisive; I think this is just because it's a bit "different" for me. And, anyway, it's high time I got over the notion that the whole world is looking at me!

Daddima Sat 28-Dec-19 17:27:51

It looks lovely, and, if anything, you could wear one even a bit shorter. You have the legs for it!

Hetty58 Sat 28-Dec-19 17:28:39

It looks fine - but what we really need is the back view. Have you got those nasty spidery veins behind your knees?

Do all your leg veins bulge after prolonged walking/standing in hot weather? Just make sure that you double-check as I've really seen some sights!

Get OH to take close up pictures - as he'll just say anything!

HillyN Sat 28-Dec-19 17:38:01

Glad you decided to keep it; I have decided recently that my over-the-knee skirts look rather dated and I have been rolling them over at the top. Took me right back to my school days! Your skirt looks great and I might be tempted to get one myself.