Gransnet forums

Chat

Broadening the appeal of the Lake District

(156 Posts)
inkycog Sun 29-Dec-19 17:27:39

The Lake District is seeking to broaden its appeal, amid concerns that swathes of the population feel excluded from national parks.

Richard Leafe, head of the Lake District National Park Authority in Cumbria, told Sky News that the parks' visitors are overwhelmingly older, able-bodied white people.

( great name for somebody with his job btw)

Doodledog Sun 29-Dec-19 21:51:56

No need to force anyone. The obvious thing to do (and I am 100% sure that it will have been done already) is simply to ask people who don't visit why they don't. Then the National Park Authority could decide whether or not to provide whatever is deemed to be lacking, if they are genuinely serious about widening participation.

We are very regular visitors, and have been since I was a child. There is a wide range of visitor attractions, from things like Go Ape, and other outdoor activity centres, lots of petting farms and so on for children, Lake cruises galore, festivals of various types, poetry-themed events, Beatrix Potter exhibitions etc to ancient monuments such as Castlerigg and Long Meg and her Daughters.

It is not all about hiking and camping, although outside of the various towns things might be less accessible than they might be, because of the geography of the place.

If it is more attractive to older people, that is possibly because teenagers and young adults are harder to please. There is a lot for children, and the active of all ages, but (obviously) no beaches or places for younger adults to meet others of their age. My own children loved going when they were small, and enjoy it now, but were a bit reluctant as teens.

Also, like most holidays in the UK is is expensive, unless you want to camp, which is not for everyone (I can think of nothing worse grin ). For the same money as a week or two in a hotel, a family could go abroad and have activities tailored to different age groups on-site.

Also, public transport in the Lake District is nowhere near as good as it used to be, which could be off-putting for people without cars (perhaps more likely to be younger?). I remember getting season tickets for buses and trains, and going all over the Lakes with them. They are still available, but many of the routes are no longer serviced, making it impossible to get to some of the less popular (and crowded) towns.

I can't believe that there is a serious ongoing effort being made to attract people, as the obvious thing to do if so would be to sort out the transport. Doing so would also cut down on the (often heavy) traffic on the roads, and make it easier for foreign tourists to holiday there, as well as attract a wider range of people from the UK.

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:59:32

Public transport is an issue but so is accomodation.

B&Bs, hostels and camping all used to be cheap, now they are all "boutique"/glamping and more expensive than hotels! and yes, businesses need to stay viable, but on the same note their should be subsidies available like their used to be to help the wider audience that USED to visit these areas, to come back!

It's all become aimed at the higher end.

There isnt a budget option.

The only way to do it cheaply is if you have a bigger group (4 or 5 couples, or 2 or 3 families), then larger holiday rentals become cheap per person. But not everyone has a big bunch of friends who all have the money and time to holiday together

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 22:08:33

changing places?
confused

YHA?
I used the extensively in my youth and we have used them as a family since.

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:11:37

The most basic campsite near me, which hasnt added on all the extras to their site that most others have, still charge you BOTH per pitch AND per person. Bringing the cost per night for a family of 5 to £43. There is a 3 night minimum booking: £129. And of course you need to have all the equipment and there's no food included....

That is for a no frills basic site.

Hostels are even worse. I loved staying in hostels as a child and a student. Loved the mix of people and of course it was so cheap!
Looked into it last year for a trip in the UK and they've all become so "niche", the basic family/youth hostel network is gone!

I dont know what the answer is. High volume caravan parks are cheap but dont offer access to a "close to nature" holiday and dont do the area much favours

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 22:12:12

I wonder if the Romans had latrines on the top at Hardknott Fort?

Bring back the latrines!

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:13:03

www.changing-places.org/

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:15:02

Most "disabled" toilets tick a box but are totally unsuitable for many people with disabilities.

Changing places are actually usable. Not just for the venue to check off building regs/planning permission.

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 22:16:26

Are some of you saying that ethnic minorities are poor and disadvantaged, that is why they do not visit National Parks?

Because that is not necessarily correct.
In fact is is very non-pc.

Fennel Sun 29-Dec-19 22:16:46

I can hardly believe this shock.
I agree withBradfordlass and others. The area covered by the Lake District is relatively small. We've spent many holidays there, but not recently. Mostly holiday cottages, and Youth Hostels. Some backpacking too.
The last time we went it was being ruined by too many visitors. Including tourist buses on the narrow roads.
That was in the '90s, when we changed to the Scottish Highlands. Which will no doubt get the same treatment soon.

inkycog Sun 29-Dec-19 22:19:51

Are some of you saying that ethnic minorities are poor and disadvantaged, that is why they do not visit National Parks?

Absolutely nobody has said that.

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 22:21:09

Anniebach don't mention the Brecon Beacons !

mumofmadboys Sun 29-Dec-19 22:24:41

I would say litter is not a big problem in the Lakes. Most people are very respectful of the countryside.Premier Inn are hoping to come to Keswick.Although you pay for accommodation and food, entertainment ( walking) is free.

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:25:47

Nobody is saying that.

Diversity also includes physical ability and people from less affluent areas.

There is a huge class divide when it comes to where people from the UK "staycation".

And this particular piece of funding has to be spent in ways that doesnt just benefit the types of people whl can already benefit from visiting the area.

The funding is optional.

Take it or leave it. But if they take it they have to spend it on inclusive enterprises.

Whats so wrong with that?

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 22:27:21

the park's visitors are overwhelmingly older, able bodied *white people*

they used to be cheap
camping and hostel prices going up and up
it's all become aimed at the higher end

I think that has been inferred inkcog.

What a pity.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:29:52

The last time we went it was being ruined by too many visitors. Including tourist buses on the narrow roads.

Weren't you one of these people?

inkycog Sun 29-Dec-19 22:33:51

No it wasn't inferred at all.

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 22:34:36

inclusive enterprises

What does that mean please?

It is a National Park, mainly countryside with some overcrowded towns with disabled facilities.

Clogging up the narrow routes with yet more cars is not going to help the environment, the flora and fauna.

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:36:28

It's the well off able bodied visitors who clog up the roads with half empty cars!

The kind of things that make an area more inclusive dont attract more of the "worst offenders" of any of that!

inkycog Sun 29-Dec-19 22:36:57

notonan talked about prices going up and thus preventing people who used to use the Park being unable to enjoy it.

Nobody mentioned members of the BAM communities being too poor to use the park.

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 22:38:30

There is only one lake.
I don't know how anyone can broaden the appeal of somewhere like the Lake District.
It is the natural beauty of the place which appeals.
You either like it or not.

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:39:55

It means that if you want a piece of the funding to revamp your facilities, you need to show that you are doing more than the minimum requirements and have put some actual thought into inclusivity.

It means looking at the routes and making sure there are changing places along loop routes. This does not mean extra buildings. It means rethinking existing facilities.

It means offering subsidies for non feepaying school groups. Partnership projects. And so on

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 22:40:03

inkcog read the OP again - overwhelmingly ........ white people

Perhaps you missed that bit.

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:42:07

You either like it or not.
And how will you know that if you can't afford to go there. Or if you can't be taken there because there is nowhere along the way to/from scenic spots for your carers to assist you with toileting?

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:46:05

Building reg approval "accessible" toilets are just wheelchair accessible. But only for some wheelchair users: only if they have the independance and upper body strength and pivot ability to transfer onto the toilet.

That excludes many if not most wheelchair users. As well as people who can walk but are incontinent in ways they cannot manage alone.

Its not "open to everyone" its just than non middle class and above able bodied people dont want to go there!

inkycog Sun 29-Dec-19 22:48:46

Callistemon, no I didn't miss anything at all.

You said something which was wrong and then tried to wriggle out of it.

You said this Are some of you saying that ethnic minorities are poor and disadvantaged, that is why they do not visit National Parks?

Then you changed it to the OP, Richard Leafe.