Gransnet forums

Chat

Who is staying up too see in the new year?

(66 Posts)
Xxjanexx Tue 31-Dec-19 15:26:04

Ok who is staying up too see in the new year?
If you are what have you planned?

Xxjanexx Wed 01-Jan-20 13:43:13

Being the OP I’ve just realised I’ve not put mine down!!
Very rarely stay up...hubby did ask if I wanted to go out...we sat in doors me with book and hubby on his lpad playing snooker!
Was in bed by 10pm and didn’t hear a thing all night.
I’d like to wish you all a happy new year and may 2020 be kind too you x

Fennel Wed 01-Jan-20 12:32:27

We go to bed quite early, but I was wakened at midnight by crashes and bangs. I thought someone was trying to break into our house at first shock.
Then I bravely looked out of the window to check and it dawned on me - a firework display in town, very pretty.
Husband never heard a thing.
Wishing everyone a good New Year.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Jan-20 08:36:30

I didn't plan to stay up but the cat and dog were panicking. The fireworks here started about 7.30 and went on until 12.45!

Rufus2 Wed 01-Jan-20 08:30:15

Not me, I could not be bothered and there is zilch on TV to entice me. yes, I know- I am totally miserable and loving it
Charleygirl15 Happy New Year, BUDDY! grin Still got the grumps?! I have the perfect solution, having recently laughed myself silly watching, on YouTube, Alf Garnett in "Till Death do us Part" and other classics. grin
Say what you like about PC, but those programmes were very well written and extremely funny! grin
After all, what you do in your own home to "eliminate the negative" is nobody else's business. grin
Here's a little New Year Resolution; "I must be more positive"
Found it in a cracker! grin
OoRoo

Resurgam123 Wed 01-Jan-20 08:04:15

Charleygirl5
I did not celebrate either. I really don't feel jolly. I got into bed and slept quite well for a change.

EllaKeat Wed 01-Jan-20 02:36:15

Just fallen into bed now.

Happy New Year ?

Maggiemaybe Wed 01-Jan-20 01:40:41

Just rolled in from our celebrations, which were lovely. Our 1 o’clock taxi never arrived, but we managed to flag down another which brought us safely home. Feeling well fed and watered and ready for bed now. smile

Good night and Happy New Year, all!

Fiachna50 Wed 01-Jan-20 01:31:20

Happy New Year ,watching BBC Alba which has brilliant music. All other channels very disappointing. Ive watched BBC Alba for about the past 2 Hogmanays, the music is cheery. I did watch the Edinburgh fireworks which were lovely, but the music was awful. It was like someone had left the microphones on by mistake. Anyway, enough moaning. I hope 2020 is good to everyone on Gransnet.

maddyone Wed 01-Jan-20 01:17:23

Happy New Year to you all. We’ve just got into bed at our country house hotel after a gourmet meal, and it really was! Celebrations with party poppers, hats, music, dancing etc followed, but we chickened out at just gone twelve, and came back to our room. May 2020 bring you all whatever you wish for.

QuaintIrene Wed 01-Jan-20 01:00:07

Happy New Year everyone.
Mixed feelings but hey ho I would love to be at the fireworks in London rather than see them on tv.
Cats kissed
Hot chocolate made
A big glug of wine left
Kettle on for my hot water bottle.

Time to look forward ?

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 00:45:05

I'm not sure if it's dispiriting Eloethan - we were just relieved we weren't there amongst all those crowds!

Happy New Year everyone

merlotgran Wed 01-Jan-20 00:32:23

Happy New Year, everyone.

boheminan Wed 01-Jan-20 00:28:45

Yay! Happy New Year Everyone. Just let the old Year out and the New Year in. Lots of fireworks...feels optimisticgrin

grumppa Wed 01-Jan-20 00:18:55

Happy New Year texts exchanged with family members, and now enjoying first grump of 2020. It's not "for THE SAKE OF auld lang syne" dire singer on BBC1; it's "for auld lang syne". This ranks with "Britannia ruleS the waves" on the last night of the Proms.

Happy New Year, everyone.

Oopsminty Tue 31-Dec-19 23:57:56

We're awake.

Just had some fun with youngest daughter and her boyfriend who are home for a few days.

They've gone up to bed.

Me and the small dog are ready to watch the London Fireworks.

Mr Minty is 'just resting his eyes' after a glass (or two) of something

Lucylastic Tue 31-Dec-19 23:54:11

Sitting outside on the frosty cold balcony of our chum's house in Fife, drinking rum and cocoa.
Got a perfect view across the Firth of Forth to Edinburgh and the fabulous Castle fireworks which start at midnight.
A Guid New Year to you and yours! Wishing you peace, health and happiness in 2020.
Slainté!

rubysong Tue 31-Dec-19 23:46:39

Yes, Twiglets and sherry.
Happy New Year everyone.

TerriBull Tue 31-Dec-19 23:44:08

I've got my grandchildren staying the night finally got them to go to sleep. I'll see the new year in then I'm off to my bed. Happy New Year fellow GNs

Eloethan Tue 31-Dec-19 23:38:46

I'm usually up at 12 or later anyway but if it were just me I'd be doing a code word with the TV on in the background or watching a film. I'm not particularly interested in New Year celebrations on the telly. Is there anything more dispiriting than watching a load of people having fun, singing and dancing, when you're not?

As it is, my Mum (99) is always keen to stay up to 12 until Big Ben sounds and the fireworks are televised (though I'm not sure why she is so keen because she can hardly see). I've just tried to watch Billy Elliott with Mum talking through it (though she has been very quiet the rest of the day) and ploughing through far too many of the box of Celebrations.

As is customary, my husband is sitting in the back room watching Indian films.

It's not exactly living the dream but I tell myself that it's a lot better than some people are experiencing. I'm hoping there will be local fireworks to be seen at 12 - that will really seem like a New |Year celebration to Mum.

Mapleleaf Tue 31-Dec-19 23:24:35

Yes.

Ninarosa Tue 31-Dec-19 23:15:53

I've just had a rummage through my drawers and shall be wearing them on my head at the stroke of twelve. Because I can.((. hic ))

grannysyb Tue 31-Dec-19 23:09:27

Wasnt going to but DH thought as we were still up we might as stay up! There are some bubbles in the fridge, so will have a glass and collapse at about 5 past 12! A happy new year to all.

inkycog Tue 31-Dec-19 22:40:12

Revellers is a funny word . Are they like Levellers.

Evie64 Tue 31-Dec-19 22:33:31

I always stay up. Even when I am really tired. I thought it was against the law to go to bed before midnight? grin DH however is already comatose on the other couch. Spent a lovely early evening with my 2 daughters and my Granddaughter whose birthday is today, 15! We took her to have her ears pierced and then onto Cafe Rouge for a late lunch. Thank God she didn't want a tattoo shock. Happy 2020 to all you out there, and thanks for brightening up my 2019 xxxx

NfkDumpling Tue 31-Dec-19 22:23:21

Nope. I’m off to bed shortly, but I expect to be woken by revellers at midnight as happens every year and I’ll then get up for ten minutes to watch other people’s fireworks.