Gransnet forums

Chat

Who is staying up too see in the new year?

(65 Posts)
Xxjanexx Tue 31-Dec-19 15:26:04

Ok who is staying up too see in the new year?
If you are what have you planned?

Charleygirl5 Tue 31-Dec-19 15:28:32

Not me, I could not be bothered and there is zilch on TV to entice me. yes, I know- I am totally miserable and loving it.

M0nica Tue 31-Dec-19 15:33:39

Yes, us and DD, a couple of plates of nibbles and champagne cocktails

PernillaVanilla Tue 31-Dec-19 15:36:01

in bed and asleep by 9pm is my aim.

Calendargirl Tue 31-Dec-19 15:37:06

We have been invited for dinner to a friend’s home, about 6 or 8 of us. It will be a lovely meal, she is an excellent cook. We shall see the New Year in there. If we were at home I would be in bed fast asleep!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 31-Dec-19 15:37:41

I shall endeavour to stay up, I have got champagne to keep me going, Mr.Gravy will be in bed by 11pm.

Anniebach Tue 31-Dec-19 15:41:11

Shall go to bed at 11.00, listen to audio book, put BBC radio on , listen to ‘may we all at the BBC wish you a happy new year, here is the news’.

tanith Tue 31-Dec-19 15:52:32

Probably not.

Daisymae Tue 31-Dec-19 15:58:57

Yes! Will find something to watch in the TV then over to the fireworks.

grannylyn65 Tue 31-Dec-19 15:59:42

You were asked who was staying up, not who isn’t

inkycog Tue 31-Dec-19 16:01:00

I might, I might not.....is this allowed?

maddyone Tue 31-Dec-19 16:04:50

Yes definitely this year, as we have treated ourselves to a two night New Year break in a country house hotel. Tonight we are having a ‘gourmet’ (so they describe it as) dinner and twelve o clock celebrations. I think we won’t be staying downstairs till the finish though, we’ll return to our room after the clock strikes twelve, a bit like Cinderella, but hopefully with both my sparkly shoes.

Greenfinch Tue 31-Dec-19 16:25:10

We always stay up with some bicuits and cheese and champagne at midnight. There will be seven family members including twelve year old twins so we will play cards and simple games after dinner.DH is 81 and says he is too old to stay up so we have sent him off to bed for a rest before he cooks the dinner.( his turn! )grin

wildswan16 Tue 31-Dec-19 16:28:25

Will be tucked up in my bed - hopefully asleep, but will then be woken up by fireworks, boats fog horns, and even more fireworks. I will text my sons all the best for 2020, turn over and go back to sleep.

DoraMarr Tue 31-Dec-19 16:30:44

I am, I’m staying up but staying in. I have a nice French film from the 60s, some delicious wine, and at 12 there will be fireworks all over the city, which I will watch from my balcony.

Patsy429 Tue 31-Dec-19 16:34:25

I will be seeing in the NY with family and friends, not so many now as in previous years so we shall remember those who are no longer with us. But wouldn't miss not seeing in this year, the start of a new decade, always special.

rockgran Tue 31-Dec-19 16:40:03

Yes, definitely - and I will ring my son at midnight. I love that New Year feeling. Happy New Year!moon

EllanVannin Tue 31-Dec-19 16:42:01

Fireworks have already started here, sporadically.
It depends if my eyes start meeting in the middle as usually happens about 11pm. Hopefully no coughing fits.

I'll watch Jane McDonald and take it from there.

I used to stand listening to the boats blowing their sirens at midnight.

MiniMoon Tue 31-Dec-19 16:49:30

DH won't! He's always in bed before me.
I may well stay up to watch the fireworks on TV. There will be plenty going off around here, so I wouldn't sleep even if I went to bed.

merlotgran Tue 31-Dec-19 16:51:14

We'll be staying up. I always cook something a bit special, which will be washed down with a nice glass of sauvignon blanc then we'll watch whatever is the best of a bad bunch on telly. We like Jools Holland but switch over to the Bongs at midnight and watch the fireworks. We'll toast the New Year with Aldi's best prosecco grin then back to Jools to help us finish the bottle.

We'll message family early to wish them a Happy New Year in case everything gets jammed up at midnight (as is often the case)

Happy New Year, everyone.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Dec-19 16:52:47

Doubtful nothing to stay up for on your own really is there “Happy New year Bluebelle” and “ Happy New year to you too” cheers ?

BlueSapphire Tue 31-Dec-19 16:59:03

I'll see how I feel; hoping to last till then! I shall either open some fizz, or have a Cointreau, and may watch a bit of Jools Holland (especially as he is performing on my cruise ship next summer!)
I always enjoy watching the fireworks anyway.

Smileless2012 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:01:31

Out for a Chinese with 'our girls' from next door then back to ours to see in the New Year. We'll be able to see fireworks from our roof terrace and the champers is chilling in the fridge.

Packed the cases for our trip to Aus. on Monday for 3 glorious weeks with our DS. What better way to start the New Year.

'Happy New Year' everyonewine.

merlotgran Tue 31-Dec-19 17:03:56

Might give Edna Everage a go before Jools and Jane Macdonald's pretty harmless grin

craftyone Tue 31-Dec-19 17:04:09

not me, never have stayed up for new year. I am enjoying my champagne right now and a couple of nice snacks and that is it until breakfast time. Feeling happy and content and looking forward to a bright new decade ahead