Gransnet forums

Chat

How has the last decade been for you?

(31 Posts)
vinasol Tue 31-Dec-19 16:26:07

Has the last decade been good to you? Did you suffer many trials and tribulations?

Mines was a mixed bag. Marriage ended. Lost home. Stayed in homeless unit for a while until I found another home, which I love. Lost my father three years ago, but it was for the best in the end as he had dementia and was a poor soul. I still think about him often and miss him. Two of my sons got married and one has given me a beautiful wee grandson who will be one year old next month. Was finally able to reduce my hours at work. Met a wonderful man who I can't imagine living without. Met some wonderful people when I joined a walking group. Lost a few dear friends to cancer. Realised that I am very self sufficient and resilient. It has changed me, but for the better. I wonder what the next decade will hold.................

BradfordLass72 Wed 01-Jan-20 00:37:56

Unfortunately, I can't think of any highs over the past decade and that's not me being unnecessarily pessemistic. It's just the truth: one awful thing after another.

It has been a horrendous decade but I have wept more for my son and family than for myself.

I'm hoping 2020 will be better for them.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 07:47:18

Mixed, I suppose.

Cancer
Realised 'partner' was more of a 'part-timer'
Survived cancer
Moved up north
Moved overseas twice
Grandson born
Daughter homeless/jobless

Overall, I don't have a 'bad decade' perspective.

Anniebach Wed 01-Jan-20 09:00:20

It started badly and got worse.

My darling elder daughter’s illness got worse and ended when
she took her life two years ago.

My grandchildren needed much support through her illness
they didn’t understand it.

It caused estrangement with my three sisters

I moved house 3 years ago to live close to my daughter and
really don’t like living here.

Two grandchildren graduated, youngest had to start first year
again because of her mothers death.

Arthritis set in as did agoraphobia.

I survived it , much due to support from GN.

TerriBull Wed 01-Jan-20 09:29:05

Lost my much loved mother, but losing a parent is to be expected once you hit a cetain age, certainly not as devastating as the death of a child.

My sibling also died a couple of years after her, glad she didn't live to experience that.

My two lovely grandchildren were born, sadly their parents split up, but not surprised.

My youngest son graduated and after a miserable year following university ended up working in an awful retail job, but happily managed to get out of that and on a career path in publishing and met his girlfriend at his first job in that industry. After a year or two of living together they eventually managed to get on the housing ladder, with a little help!

Realised some amazing travel ambitions, ever since I studied South America in the first year of senior school, the teacher must have been inspirational, because I've wanted to go there from that time and was lucky enough to visit Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay for my 60th. Very grateful for the wonderful memories those places gave me.

henetha Wed 01-Jan-20 11:14:23

It's been a learning experience. I found myself living alone ten years ago for the first time ever. But I've gradually learned to cope with all sorts of things and feel the stronger for it.