Gransnet forums

Chat

Going out shopping supermarket in nightwear

(132 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 01-Jan-20 13:24:15

I had to laugh lady shopping in well known supermarket this morning in pjs slippers n dressing gown, oh how times have changed, I’ve seen a few now, not in full attire generally pjs and coat over, I’m not judging each to their own, at least was dressed,I did think of those of us that feel naked if we haven’t got our mascara on to open the door,

MissAdventure Wed 01-Jan-20 13:27:30

It happens a lot here, and has done for a few years.

You get used to it after a while.

ladymuck Wed 01-Jan-20 13:28:28

It's become a common sight where I live. The first time I saw a woman shopping in her nightwear, I thought she must be ill and had no-one to pop to the shop for a bottle of milk. Now I know that many women simply don't bother to get dressed, and stay in the PJs all day.
Another indication of how pride and self-respect seem to be in decline.

Damdee Wed 01-Jan-20 13:34:28

I don't like to see it but what I can't understand is seeing people out in their slippers..... surely slippers are so you don't wear your outside possibly dirty shoes in your home and bedroom.

Years ago, I remember my mother (who was born in 1916) seeing someone wearing leggings or tracksuit bottoms or similar and saying it was sloppy dressing.

grannyactivist Wed 01-Jan-20 13:35:26

I share the gut reaction of, 'this can't be right', but I see some (usually young) women out in tiny camisole tops with skirts so short that if they weren't (hopefully shock) wearing a thong their knickers would be on show - and then I wonder why it seems so wrong for a woman to be out in pyjamas that cover so much more. What a topsy turvy world we live in.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Jan-20 13:38:32

I was just thinking that.
Our pyjama wearers by day turn into what look like pole dancers at night

NanKate Wed 01-Jan-20 13:46:55

Do you remember in the 1960s women would go out shopping in their hair rollers? ?

lavenderzen Wed 01-Jan-20 13:48:50

It probably does happen in my supermarket, but I am usually so mixed up trying to find where things are because they regularly change it all round, I have probably never noticed. My homage to this is that now instead of changing into my "going out" clothes before shopping, which I have done for as long as I remember, I now go out in track suit bottoms and a sweatshirt, what a rebel!

Charleygirl5 Wed 01-Jan-20 13:50:54

I have never seen it around here, thank goodness.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Jan-20 13:57:59

We have girls out and about in their rollers, here, and I think most of them look really lovely, with their bright headscarves and lippy, and matching rollers. smile

lemongrove Wed 01-Jan-20 14:10:20

Really MissA ?
I thought rollers bit the dust about 40 years ago.The very flat straight haired look seems to be the thing.

lemongrove Wed 01-Jan-20 14:12:30

I first heard of the shopping/school run in pj’s thing about five years ago, but have never seen it in action.?

A fashion trend? Bone idleness?

Summerlove Wed 01-Jan-20 14:15:36

Another indication of how pride and self-respect seem to be in decline.

Or, perhaps, women have just stopped dressing to please men?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Jan-20 14:21:28

I did on several occasions put a coat and boots on over nightwear to do the school run, didn’t get out of the car though.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Jan-20 14:23:18

They probably spend two hours with their hair straighteners when they get home, lemon. grin

Nortsat46 Wed 01-Jan-20 14:40:03

The v nice young woman who visits my house, to cut my hair, tells me that some of her clients don’t bother changing out of their pjs, when she goes to their homes to do their hair ... even for afternoon appointments.

I can’t imagine having my hair done wearing my nightie ...

Urmstongran Wed 01-Jan-20 15:02:45

Our pyjama wearers by day turn into what look like pole dancers at night that was SO witty MissA!
?

Never seen it happen round here but I’ve seen photos in the papers. Leisure-wear in extreme!

ineedamum Wed 01-Jan-20 15:15:19

Yes, some people wear rollers where I live.
A colleague once arrived in work wearing rollers!

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 15:19:40

Daughter will go to the local Sainsbury's in PJ bottoms. But they're leisure wear rather than proper PJs

MissAdventure Wed 01-Jan-20 15:22:20

Do other places have the shoes which are made to look like slippers?
Often with a big fluffy bit across the toes.

vinasol Wed 01-Jan-20 15:23:40

I would never dream of it, but each to their own.

Chestnut Wed 01-Jan-20 15:27:32

Well it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between tracksuits and pyjamas as some are identical. The slippers and dressing gown would be a giveaway though.
I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams going out in my nightclothes! In fact I have had one or two nightmares where that has happened and then wake up worrying.

Sara65 Wed 01-Jan-20 16:29:12

It’s not just the fact that they’re wearing their pyjamas all day, you have to assume they haven’t washed or showered either, not for me I’m afraid.

Urmstongran Wed 01-Jan-20 16:35:29

Yes MissA I’ve seen the girls wearing fluffy slipper shoes at the airport!

WishIwasyounger Wed 01-Jan-20 17:06:37

Are they wearing PJ's or 'lounge wear'?