Gransnet forums

Chat

Too soon?

(46 Posts)
sunseeker Thu 02-Jan-20 09:45:42

I usually leave Christmas decorations up until 6th January but am considering taking them down today - anyone else feel the same or am I just a miserable old so and so!

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Jan-20 21:38:05

January’s miserable enough imho, without rushing to take down the lights and decorations. I love mine. They go up mid-December and stay up till Twelfth Night. Though as we’re out all day on Monday, I’ll be taking most of them down - reluctantly - on Sunday, just leaving a few up for tradition’s sake to come down on Monday night.

SalsaQueen Thu 02-Jan-20 21:27:30

Mine were taken down last night (it would have been sooner, but the GC wanted to keep them up).

Today I've cleaned the house, including the windows, and washed all the cushion covers. Everything feels nice and fresh again now.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 02-Jan-20 17:45:58

Ours too are up from about a week before Christmas until 12th night, and by that time there is a definite difference in the length of daylight, so that coincides nicely with the sitting room window being free of tree. (Or it would do if I had got round to washing the window.)

Nannytopsy Thu 02-Jan-20 16:40:18

We put ours up late -the weekend before Christmas- and leave until 12th night. This year, we have builders and visitors on Monday so they have come down today.

BlueSapphire Thu 02-Jan-20 16:33:19

Usually leave them up till the 6th, I
love them! But will be taking them down this weekend as the plumber is coming next week to fit my new cloakroom, (hooray!) at long last.

Washerwoman Thu 02-Jan-20 16:32:33

Ours got packed away today.I used to wait until the 6th but now prefer a good de-clutter and a fresh start as soon as New Year's Day has passed.I don't dislike Xmas but I'm always pleased to return to normal and actually like January.A fresh start, thinking about the garden and days slowly getting longer again.I have however a lovely collection of candles to cheer up the dark evenings, as it does feel a bit sparse once the tree has gone.

Mapleleaf Thu 02-Jan-20 16:29:50

Staying up until 12 th night here - I find January dreary enough as it is, so a bit of cheer for its first week lifts the spirits. Lots were still up in houses as we drove past today on our way back home from our day out. Nice and cheerful looking! ?

aggie Thu 02-Jan-20 16:27:12

My fairy lights are festooned round the kitchen/living room and have just burst into life ! I don’t want to take them down either , so cheery on a dull day , I might take the cards down , and the lights are the only decorations .

Urmstongran Thu 02-Jan-20 16:26:34

Assume you don’t mean a ? too Superdupagran!

BlueBelle Thu 02-Jan-20 16:21:11

Down as quickly as possible totally bored with looking at them

cornergran Thu 02-Jan-20 16:20:22

Ours came down yesterday. I also miss the lights so we've kept some battery light ‘candles’, on timers so no faff.

ninathenana Thu 02-Jan-20 16:16:59

We took ours down yesterday as we needed the space taken up by the empty boxes in the spare bedroom.
All now stored in the attic.

Calendargirl Thu 02-Jan-20 16:05:41

easybee

Advent Sunday was 1st December, which was when my decorations went up.

yggdrasil Thu 02-Jan-20 16:02:05

Kalu: Won’t miss the decorations as such but, oh, I do like fairy lights. My only time of year whereby I have them strategically placed to brighten up grey dull days.

There is nothing that says you can't have lights all year round if you want. :-)

endlessstrife Thu 02-Jan-20 14:57:36

Ours are still up, but only because we haven’t had chance to take them down yet! Hopefully do it in the morning, as I usually like to combine it with a cleaning session. They are annoying me now if I’m honest ?

Superdupagran Thu 02-Jan-20 14:41:55

I don’t take them down I haven’t for 10 years!

BBbevan Thu 02-Jan-20 14:35:28

Mine are down and tidied away. I do like to start a new year all clean and tidy, ready for what is to come.

Esspee Thu 02-Jan-20 14:25:31

We did’t get round to putting our’s up this year. I hate Christmas Cards on display, so untidy and as I can’t stand the colour red the place feels much calmer without them.

janipat Thu 02-Jan-20 14:14:11

I always used to leave mine up until twelfth night but this year I took them all down yesterday, and I'm loving it. The dustmen will collect the tree tomorrow to be chipped and composted and the house is clean again. Mine is a teeny tiny house and feels so much bigger once the tree has gone. I only ever put any decorations up about mid December, and after a couple of weeks I'm craving clear surfaces again, so think New Years Day will be my new tradition.

Esther1 Thu 02-Jan-20 14:05:12

I take mine down as soon as the family have gone home. Usually the day after Boxing Day. I like to start the New Year clear and tidy and look forward to Spring. (Ever optimistic).

Kalu Thu 02-Jan-20 13:59:05

Won’t miss the decorations as such but, oh, I do like fairy lights. My only time of year whereby I have them strategically placed to brighten up grey dull days.

downtoearth Thu 02-Jan-20 13:51:47

I like them down for my birthday on the 29th.

mumofmadboys Thu 02-Jan-20 12:02:59

Mine came down yesterday too.

eazybee Thu 02-Jan-20 11:59:00

I keep my decorations up until Twelfth Night, due to tradition and a dollop of superstition. In this country work seems suspended between Christmas and New Year, apart from essential services and shops, so more families are at home and able to appreciate their decorations.

I really wish people wouldn't put them up at the beginning of December when it isn't even Advent; no wonder they are tired of them by Boxing Day.

Calendargirl Thu 02-Jan-20 11:29:43

All down New Year’s Eve- Christmas is over after Boxing Day IMHO. Prefer to put them up early December, and take down before end of the year.