Gransnet forums

Chat

Too soon?

(45 Posts)
sunseeker Thu 02-Jan-20 09:45:42

I usually leave Christmas decorations up until 6th January but am considering taking them down today - anyone else feel the same or am I just a miserable old so and so!

Grannybags Thu 02-Jan-20 09:50:27

Mine came down yesterday! Would have been earlier if we hadn't had a sleepover

lemongrove Thu 02-Jan-20 09:51:49

I couldn’t possibly comment sunseeker tchgrin
Am leaving ours for as long as I can get away with it this year
(April?)

Beechnut Thu 02-Jan-20 09:53:56

Some of mine are down and the rest will be today. I don’t like them up for long after the new year has arrived.

emmasnan Thu 02-Jan-20 09:58:26

Took mine down yesterday, its very rare I leave them up any later.

NannyJan53 Thu 02-Jan-20 10:02:50

Took ours down yesterday! The house suddenly seems bigger and brighter !

PernillaVanilla Thu 02-Jan-20 10:07:50

I always feel sad when the decorations come down, the house looks bare and I feel the evaporation of the spirit of good will that hangs as a dense cloud for those few days. I do it in stages, so the cards are now down. The main decorations will come down on Friday night and the tree will stay up until Sunday when it will go back into the garden and hopefully be OK for a third year next Christmas

Witzend Thu 02-Jan-20 10:15:57

I hate taking them down, too. Our real tree is still fresh and lovely - IMO January is dreary enough anyway.

Usually take them all down on the 6th but will probably leave until the 7th this year, since have 2 nieces from abroad staying the night of the 6th before going back to school. They come from a culture where Christmas isn’t such a big thing and told me they only ever had a tree once.
No presents to speak of either, so I shall put a little something each for under the tree.

Rockingchair Thu 02-Jan-20 10:16:29

Mine always are taken down on New Year's Eve, I like to go into the next year clear of Christmas decorations.

GagaJo Thu 02-Jan-20 10:19:48

Took 'em down yesterday. Onwards and upwards! We're in the new year now.

tanith Thu 02-Jan-20 10:23:53

Mine came down yesterday too.

EllanVannin Thu 02-Jan-20 10:24:53

Usually the 12th night for me, but if I have a sudden spurt of energy I'll strike while the iron's hot.

MiniMoon Thu 02-Jan-20 10:25:46

I've taken down all the cards and hanging decorations. All that's left are the trees, one in the living room and one in the hall.
I'll leave those until the weekend.

Urmstongran Thu 02-Jan-20 10:32:01

I always leave mine up until 6 January. I’m not in a rush to get tidied away! The Christmas lights are so pretty and I find them comforting at night for some reason.

We should have flown back to Spain yesterday where I’d left my mini fibre optic tree up. I’m vaguely anxious it means bad luck now when we do get to go back. I just hope I’m being silly with my superstitions. I dropped a mirror too before we left. Oh heck.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Jan-20 10:48:59

Ours will stay up until Sunday afternoon or maybe Monday morning as we have eldest GD here for two nights.

I love my Christmas decorations, they have been accumulated over many years and together with the smell of real trees gives our home a lovely atmosphere.

Oopsminty Thu 02-Jan-20 10:51:31

Mine went yesterday

My small dog is thrilled.

She sits on the armchair by the window and at Christmas the chair gets moved and the tree put in place

She can't look out of the window

Today she's perched on the back of the chair and all's well in her world

Pantglas2 Thu 02-Jan-20 10:57:32

Mine are packed away this morning and dusting/hoovering done so I can swan off to Spain on Monday morning with a clear conscience! Hurry up Urmstongran and get well- sunshine is calling!

TrendyNannie6 Thu 02-Jan-20 11:00:39

Took mine down on 27th dec I’m not a traditionalist for me Xmas is over then,

JackyB Thu 02-Jan-20 11:03:19

We don't have Carol singers here in Germany but the altar boys and girls from the Church come round on 6 January (or the nearest Saturday) to celebrate the three Kings.

This is a tradition which is carried out nationwide and each year they collect for a specific project, usually for other children in a third world zone.

So, as no one else has seen our decorations this Christmas yet, we shall definitely leave them up for the children to see on Saturday, when they come in the house in their costumes and with their incense.

I wouldn't dream of taking them down before 6 January anyway.

Teetime Thu 02-Jan-20 11:05:34

Me too all taken down yesterday - nice fresh start to the New Year.

Calendargirl Thu 02-Jan-20 11:29:43

All down New Year’s Eve- Christmas is over after Boxing Day IMHO. Prefer to put them up early December, and take down before end of the year.

eazybee Thu 02-Jan-20 11:59:00

I keep my decorations up until Twelfth Night, due to tradition and a dollop of superstition. In this country work seems suspended between Christmas and New Year, apart from essential services and shops, so more families are at home and able to appreciate their decorations.

I really wish people wouldn't put them up at the beginning of December when it isn't even Advent; no wonder they are tired of them by Boxing Day.

mumofmadboys Thu 02-Jan-20 12:02:59

Mine came down yesterday too.

downtoearth Thu 02-Jan-20 13:51:47

I like them down for my birthday on the 29th.

Kalu Thu 02-Jan-20 13:59:05

Won’t miss the decorations as such but, oh, I do like fairy lights. My only time of year whereby I have them strategically placed to brighten up grey dull days.