Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you love your grandchildren as much or more than your own children?

(127 Posts)
Tedber Sat 04-Jan-20 19:09:11

This was posted a couple of years ago on Gransnet. At the time the poster said she felt 'guilty' because she felt she didn't love her grandchildren as much as her own children and wondered if she was alone? The consensus at the time was, she was alone, everyone seemed to love their grandchildren equally if not more than their own children.

Again, at the time, I said I understood her as grandchildren have the influences of their other parent, but I did love my grandchildren as much as my own or so I thought!

Couple of years on and the eldest grandaughter has become quite a diva and can be very rude to her mum - something I would never have put up with from her mother. I find myself defending my daughter lol! My automatic response is to take care of my daughter!

So it got me thinking DO I love them as much or is it because it is what is expected of grandparents? I absolutely adored my children. Sometimes my grandchildren get on my nerves with all their various demands! They all have so much and yet still moan like mad. But of course I can't say too much. (still love them but do I love them as much as I loved my own?...)

Not a big issue really - just interested to hear what other people feel.

BlueSky Thu 09-Jan-20 14:29:41

I love my DGC more because they are children and therefore more vulnerable, they inspire deeper love than adult children do. Perhaps I'll love both the same when they are all adults. That's the only rational explanation I can give!