Gransnet forums

Chat

Harry & Meghan stepping back from RF

(1001 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 08-Jan-20 18:51:57

... and planning to be financially independent.
?

Cherrytree59 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:35:50

Is it s case of what Meghan wants....
I wonder if there was an ultimatum involved?

Or maybe Charles is worried for Harry's mental health and has suggested that the couple
perform less Royal duties and live some of the time in Canada.

The meetings at Canada House yesterday was probably
a bit more than a 'Thank you for having us in your lovely country' and more about the big announcement that has been alluded to by Meghan and Harry.

grannymy Wed 08-Jan-20 19:36:33

How do we know it's real?

Manmar2 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:40:30

Great news! I hope they stay in Canada permanently!

Urmstongran Wed 08-Jan-20 19:40:45

It’s just been on Channel 4 news too.

grannymy Wed 08-Jan-20 19:43:43

Did we see the words coming out of their mouths? Sorry, I haven't watched the news! Must catch up and then I will believe it.

crazyH Wed 08-Jan-20 19:46:19

Good riddance, I say ....the day Harry met her was the worst day for the Monarchy.

MerylStreep Wed 08-Jan-20 19:47:31

grannymy
So your saying the official statement that Harry gave out is a lie?

Sparklefizz Wed 08-Jan-20 19:49:51

I liked her at first, but her actions speak for themselves and now I don't like her. I think she's false. I am just sorry that her presence has somehow managed to alienate Harry from his family after he and William have been through so much together.

grannymy Wed 08-Jan-20 19:50:42

Apologies, I haven't seen Harry's official statement. Been a hectic day. Must look. I like the truth.

MerylStreep Wed 08-Jan-20 19:52:41

I thought she was false from the off. You have to give it to the girl, though, she's played a blinder. This was always the plan.

Framilode Wed 08-Jan-20 19:53:13

I think they will mostly live abroad and eventually he will come back alone.

ginny Wed 08-Jan-20 19:55:59

Ok , that’s fine. I doubt it will make any difference to my life.

grannymy Wed 08-Jan-20 19:56:15

I've finally had time to read it - phew (a busy day at work and after work!) I think they are quite right. Harry will never be King. He's sick of the lot of it in my opinion. He has chosen someone he loves. She does not come from the UK. I say go for it! The freedom of it all !

lavenderzen Wed 08-Jan-20 19:56:45

My goodness what a vindictive lot you are!

merlotgran Wed 08-Jan-20 19:56:50

I have this strange mental image of her hitting the ground running.....in reverse. grin

sparkii Wed 08-Jan-20 19:59:02

Meryl, are you always quite as nasty and bitter in real life. Gollygosh ihope not.

Mommawolf Wed 08-Jan-20 20:03:50

If its what they really want good luck to them. Self financing can't see it he will allways be a target who will fund their ongoing security? Personally I think he made the wrong choice in marriage but we can't change who we fall I love with, it all happened very fast I hope he won't come to regret it.

NanaandGrampy Wed 08-Jan-20 20:06:09

So all those things he was getting to grips with pre Meghan like Invicta and military charity work...is that all stopped now? And if they are going to independently financing does that mean they will pay for their own security ?

And be off setting their carbon footprint for all their transatlantic flights?

EllaKeat Wed 08-Jan-20 20:08:42

Good luck to them!

Grandma70s Wed 08-Jan-20 20:11:47

If they give up their duties they must also give up their privileges. Will they?

SirChenjin Wed 08-Jan-20 20:16:05

I think they will mostly live abroad and eventually he will come back alone

Agree - although he’ll want to stay close to Archie. I think it was always on the cards, it’s no real surprise. I love the idea that they want to work towards being financially independent - aren’t they already there?

NotTooOld Wed 08-Jan-20 20:18:02

Framilode - my thoughts exactly.

Daisymae Wed 08-Jan-20 20:24:46

Seems like a good idea. They only have a minor role and it's the 21st century after all. Harry can see a life outside of the royal bubble. As long as they let go of the financial string. Good luck to them.

mumofmadboys Wed 08-Jan-20 20:25:14

I wish them well and hope they are very happy wherever they decide to settle.

merlotgran Wed 08-Jan-20 20:25:18

aren’t they already there?

Are they? What about the income from the Duchy of Cornwall and the money the Queen shells out. Will they still be entitled to those millions?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion