Gransnet forums

Chat

What is Lidl like as a supermarket

(64 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:25:05

What do all you gransnetters think to Lidl , I’ve never shopped in one, as we haven’t got one nearby

Blinko Wed 08-Jan-20 19:28:53

We have Lidl, Aldi and all the big supermarkets within a five mile radius. In my view, Lidl and Aldi offer good quality produce at a very competitive price. I'd say my bill usually comes in around a third cheaper at Lidl or Aldi.

ineedamum Wed 08-Jan-20 19:29:49

The reason it is cheap is because there is limited choice. I shop for my basics in Lidl as I find the quality and price is better.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:30:34

Thankyou

grannyactivist Wed 08-Jan-20 19:31:17

I shopped in my local Lidl when I lived in Germany, so when I heard it was coming to my town I was delighted. The choice is more limited than other supermarkets and Lidl doesn't stock all the well known brands, but it's cheaper and usually good quality.

Grammaretto Wed 08-Jan-20 19:32:05

It's my nearest supermarket What would you like to know?
It has good quality fresh food and fruit and veg and its prices are kept low.
I mainly use our community shop as I prefer to support local producers but every couple of weeks I go to Lidl, and am usually tempted by something like wine and household stuff .

Greenfinch Wed 08-Jan-20 19:34:01

I love it but avoid it because of the long queues. However an Aldi has opened recently and I think this might help the situation. Lidl's prices are competitive and the quality of most of their products is excellent. My one reservation is the vegetables.I have found that the potatoes in particular are not always as fresh as they could be and have had to return them on occasion. They bake some very nice bread.

Grannyknot Wed 08-Jan-20 19:36:29

My local Lidl is great. The lack of too many options is a bonus in my view, who needs 16 or more different brands of laundry soap to choose from? grin

The quality of their top line rib eye steak is excellent.

Pittcity Wed 08-Jan-20 19:36:51

We love the bakery and the weekly specials....we bought new kitchen scales last week.

Grannyboots1 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:38:45

I love Lidl and shop there regularly. I suggest take a basket and have a good look round. They are starting to stock some well known brands. The money I save is a bonus.

Scribbles Wed 08-Jan-20 19:40:22

We have a Lidl fairly close and I use it quite a lot for day to day items like bread rolls, deli meats, odd cans and jars, tissues, breakfast cereal.

TBH, I'm not impressed with the fresh fruit and veg. It looks wonderful but is mostly completely tasteless. They stock a small range of fresh fish which is good quality but I can't vouch for the meat as I prefer to use a local butcher.

Oh, and their cut flowers are excellent value for money.

grannymy Wed 08-Jan-20 19:40:29

There cleaning products are fab. So cheap and often have awards attached to them.

EllaKeat Wed 08-Jan-20 19:42:44

We have a Lidl and a very recently my opened Aldi.
Lidl all the way for me, would be happy to never enter aldi again?

Disclaimer: in MY area

Lidl have scrumptious bakery, fresh veg, fresh fruit, fresh meat, lots of very unusual foodstuffs to experience.
Aldi have bread, veg and fruit that last a day or two, excellent meat, the aisle of shame and an overwhelming sense of disappointment.

I love Lidl, very hmmmm about Also. Want to like it, but just not getting there!

Patsy70 Wed 08-Jan-20 20:29:34

I love Lidl and do my main shop there, but also use local green grocers and butchers. The lack of too much choice is a bonus for me, as I get quite giddy when in Tesco or Sainsbury, working out the best value for money whilst traipsing around a huge area. We don't have long queues in our local Lidl, and in fact as it is a smaller shop and the staff at the checkout are super efficient, it takes much less time. Would really recommend it!

Chewbacca Wed 08-Jan-20 21:03:58

The bakery is wonderful but I just don't seem to be able to find anything else in Lidl that I like. Prefer Aldi on balance, especially the aisle of sh**e bargains.

annodomini Wed 08-Jan-20 21:06:16

I wish the media would stop referring to Aldi and Lidl as 'discounters'. If they were selling well-known and widely advertised brands at a reduced price, they would be selling 'at a discount'. The brands of chocolate they sell, for example, are unknown to the big supermarket chains and, I might add, of better quality than many 'popular' brands.
I use Aldi and Waitrose because both are convenient for me and I can get goods in one which I can't buy in the other - they tend to complement each other. I visit Lidl if I happen to be in the vicinity.

Chewbacca Wed 08-Jan-20 21:34:56

The chocolate is miles better @ Aldi isn't it anno? I bought a box of their alcoholic truffles to take to a friend's supper evening at Christmas. I think they were £4.99 a box? They were snaffled in minutes and everyone said was lovely quality chocolate it was. Beats Mars/Nestle/Cadburys any day.

Doodledog Wed 08-Jan-20 23:56:40

I love it, and go there for 'treats', which might seem unusual, but I get my weekly shop delivered from Sainsbury's with all the usual things that I know I will need. About once a week when I am in town, I go into Lidl to see what is there. They don't necessarily have the same things every week, so it's easier to spot new items, and I top up with those.

I find their bread is delicious, and the deli counter often has really good quality and reasonably priced items, such as antipasto and cheeses. They do excellent ice cream, too - sometimes a brand like Haagen Dazs, and other times an own brand 'Deluxe' one. The Deluxe brand is their equivalent of Tesco Finest, and they have some lovely things, particularly at Christmas. Their Stollen bites are to die for.

Then, of course, there is the Isle Of Dreams grin. This is the bit in the middle where they sell random items at reduced prices. One week it might be motorcycle accessories, and the next baby clothes - you never know, and the fun is in finding out.

Pittcity Thu 09-Jan-20 07:52:05

It's Thursday, the day when the offers change in Lidl. A highlight is picking up the leaflet with next week's offerings.... we're easily pleased.

Greenfinch Thu 09-Jan-20 09:11:08

The only thing I dislike is the lack of Customer Service. It is not easy to find help if things go wrong but I suppose that is the price we have to pay for cheap goods.

Harris27 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:16:02

Tried both also and Lidl and like Aldi better.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:21:43

I like Aldi better but that may be because it’s more convenient.

They stock a lot of British fresh food, have a great ground coffee at a brilliant price and their brioche buns don’t contain palm oil. What’s not to like?

I can’t do all my shopping there but I use it regularly.

volcanopete Thu 09-Jan-20 09:35:17

Lidl is my favourite supermarket.I have saved a fortune there and the fruit and veg is particularly good.My wife likes their wine too.

jaylucy Thu 09-Jan-20 09:48:47

I like Lidl - great for shopping in at the end of the month when money is a bit tight!
Only drawback that I can see is that they don't have the range of goods like Asda, Tescos etc have - they only have 1 or 2 options for any item in the main but their own brand things are good - it's one of the few places you can buy bags of crisps with the blue bag of salt in!
The in store bakery is good - they do some of the nicest doughnuts !

Bluebird64 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:51:21

It's a lot like Aldi, though Lidl sell more fancy stuff. I love Greek Week when I can get yummy things like stuffed vine leaves and Greek Delight (like Turkish Delight!) Until recently our only Lidl in York was a long and torturous drive away but now there's a bigger store quite near us so we go more often. They do lovely vegetable samosas!