Gransnet forums

Chat

What is Lidl like as a supermarket

(65 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:25:05

What do all you gransnetters think to Lidl , I’ve never shopped in one, as we haven’t got one nearby

Pittcity Thu 09-Jan-20 13:25:04

annaram1 the fresh produce that doesn't have a sell by date has the date that it is put out on the label so that you can use your own judgement as to freshness. It is expressed as 4 digits: week number and day. Today is the 2nd week of the year and it's about day 5 of the week....so today's code would be 0205.

hicaz46 Thu 09-Jan-20 13:32:35

We have a fairly new Lidl near us and the checkout is as leisurely and as slow as major supermarkets. They did rush everyone at one time but this seems to have stopped now. I would recommend their aged rib eye steaks which are really great. Also good value for many other things. I would however say their fruit and veg don’t last as long as those from major supermarkets, but they probably haven’t been stored for months in ‘prime’ conditions.

Lancslass1 Thu 09-Jan-20 14:34:26

I agree with Greenfinch.
Customer a Service in our local Lidl is not good.
If an assistant doesn’t understand what you are asking for he or she will say they haven’t got it.
Their hummus (or is it houmous?) is great though as is their chocolate .
Try their pomelos - wonderful.
I had never heard of them before going there.
Flowers are excellent value too.
Well worth a visit
(My favourite supermarket though is Iceland .
They sell Gregg’s sausage rolls..)

annodomini Thu 09-Jan-20 14:35:44

The checkout queues at the Aldi where I shop are well controlled. When the queue reaches a certain number, a new till is opened. When I see a queue growing, I hang on in the certain knowledge that a new till will open very soon and usually manage to get to the head of that queue.

Dareyouto Thu 09-Jan-20 15:49:13

I get a lot of my basics at Lidl as they are good value but I tend to go elsewhere for fruit and veg as it just doesn’t seem to last so well, which is an important consideration when there is only one to use it up.

CBBL Thu 09-Jan-20 16:24:44

I like both Lidl and Aldi. Lidl have a great bakery (where Aldi doesn't) and they also sell a certain amount of Branded goods, such as Heinz Baked Beans and Fairy Liquid. In both stores there are often "special buys" of branded goods too (Dove, Nestle/Thornton's etc.) I would definitely suggest that the original poster tries Lidl and see what is on offer.

Caro57 Thu 09-Jan-20 17:17:21

Wish we had one nearer as I would use it in preference to Aldi but like them both

Esther1 Thu 09-Jan-20 17:26:54

I go there because of the prices - but don’t enjoy the experience or the long queue.

Vivian123 Thu 09-Jan-20 17:32:02

Brilliant supermarket. It seems to be easier to find British produce in Lidl's than some of the British supermarkets, Tesco and Sainsbury. I can buy British bacon in Lidl, but in Tesco etc., it is all Danish and I don't like the way they treat their pigs. I buy my Scotch and wines from Lidl, great prices and good taste. If there is a minus, it is that there are few staff, on the floor, should you wish to make an enquiry. They do open checkouts, if there are too many queueing. Good free parking, at my local one. Definitely my favourite supermarket. I do, however, have to go to Tesco/Sainsbury for items, such as buttermilk

EthelJ Thu 09-Jan-20 18:31:38

I like lidl but there is nt a lot sf choice and sometimes you can't get everything you wsnt. The quality is fine though and the price is great

AnotherLiz Thu 09-Jan-20 20:37:43

I shop in Lidls along with other supermarkets. I shop there because the things i buy are good quality and cheaper prices, eg groceries such as organic carrots and broccoli, delicious continental cheeses, cheddar. Pan au chocolat which my grandson loves for weekend breakfast. They sell pole and line caught tuna which is tinned and better than many other brands and again cheaper. And I haven't mentioned the weekly deals!

Resurgam123 Fri 10-Jan-20 00:32:53

Oh the ALDI Chocolate. Their Moser Roth line is really good. I am not one for the usual very sweet chocolate.
Our local Aldi is not too far.
However our nearest small Tesco has become very good over thè last few months now and It has a really good selection of deli meats and cheeses now . That is going to shake up some of the older stores.

We only have a ASDA local which is really boring . Even the bigger ASDA supermarket about six miles away is really uninteresting. You can get a general
Range of foods that are good quality but boring.

welbeck Fri 10-Jan-20 01:37:44

I love Lidl. wish there was one nearer, more convenient to me. I go to v busy inner city ones, the staff are v patient, as I avoid the self=scanning. I end up arguing with the machine.
Lidl in-store bakery is excellent. also their indiv fruit trifles, also do raspberry one; low cal ice cream; hot smoked salmon, looks/tastes like poached, not rare slimy.
I like the fact there is limited choice. there is plenty enough. when I was young, this would have been thought a vast and marvellous cornucopia of goodies/ essentials.
I actually find the usual large supermarkets depressing. they are too big, and like temples to excess and consumerism.

vegansrock Fri 10-Jan-20 05:27:08

We have every supermarket nearby, but I always choose to go to Lidl or Aldi first. Cereal, wine, almond and oat milk loads cheaper than elsewhere. Much smaller - why do you need whole aisles of crisps or chocolate like in our big Sainsbury’s?