Gransnet forums

Chat

What is Lidl like as a supermarket

(65 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:25:05

What do all you gransnetters think to Lidl , I’ve never shopped in one, as we haven’t got one nearby

Alexa Thu 09-Jan-20 11:20:26

Both Lidl and Aldi sell excellent stuff at amazing prices. However the customer service is unfriendly as the workers seem always to be rushed off their feet and I always feel rushed and over crowded in their shops.

Granof412 Thu 09-Jan-20 11:18:15

I used to travel in my job and got used to using whichever supermarket I was close to. I discovered Aldi and Lidl and used them a lot to save money primarily but now I’m retired I usually do all my shopping in Lidl.
The fruit and veg are superb (quality equivalent to Waitrose) and last well. Once you have tried their fresh bread and fish, there are many more delights to try out.
I like Aldi too but their fruit and veg only last a couple of days, however the rest of their produce is excellent.

inishowen Thu 09-Jan-20 11:13:52

We love Lidl bread rolls. The ones they bake in store. Yummy.

Craftycat Thu 09-Jan-20 11:12:24

I don't know what all the fuss is about TBH. We have a Lidl & an Aldi not that far away & I went ro oth of them once for food but never again- it was muddled & the checkouts are awful. The food was a bit cheaper but not great quality- especially the cold meats & cheese.
The only thing I do like are their big special offers- we have 2 lovely sun beds we got from there & some garden cushion boxes that keep the cushions bone dry in the garden all winter. I have bought quite a bit for the garden in there- you can keep their food- I like Sainsburys!

Seefah Thu 09-Jan-20 11:10:24

I absolutely love Lidl ! I use them all the time in Croatia and Germany. Lovely baked products, meat is fresh, their own brands are very good quality products, and saves a fortune ! Know nothing about Lidl in UK. In some parts of Croatia I think Mr Lidl changed peoples lives bringing in affordable household items, toys, electronics, and clothes etc!

Pittcity Thu 09-Jan-20 10:54:11

The customer service is great in our Lidl greenfinch. Just speak to any staff member and it will be sorted. They don't waste staff or space on a dedicated Customer Service desk as all staff multitask.
As well as "foreign" delights, much of the stock is British!

Phloembundle Thu 09-Jan-20 10:45:15

When it first opened, our Lidl was more like a food warehouse, full of unpacked boxes. The fruit and veg was crap. They have come such a long way, with gorgeous fruit and veg, plus, with so many foreign food items, you can find something exotic but authentic. Their bread counter is excellent, and everything is much cheaper. It is not a place I could do a whole food shop but worth a visit.

Madwoman11 Thu 09-Jan-20 10:40:36

Quality better at Aldi, and many things as good as M & S

Authoress Thu 09-Jan-20 10:34:28

The person who rates the wines is spot-on - if I see a red above 90% I stock up.

Americanpie Thu 09-Jan-20 10:19:12

We really don't like the meat that is available its inferior compared to Asda or Morrisons but chicken and burgers are OK. However do be prepared to have everything thrown at you when you check out! The speed at which they scan is incredible. Interestingly, we always shop there when we go to France and the speed is slower. Older french madames would give them short shrift for being so fast. However its cheap and has unusual food items. Hope you enjoy it.

Beanie654321 Thu 09-Jan-20 10:15:03

I like Lidl especially the middle aisles where you can find so many useful things.

LeeN137 Thu 09-Jan-20 10:04:11

If you get the chance, it's definitely worth a try - and Aldi, too. Lidl, to my mind, is a little more basic than Aldi, but they do have an instore bakery which Aldi don't, so that's a plus for them.

My local Lidl also has self-checkouts which work mainly as well as the major supermarkets, though it can be especially frustrating if you need the assistant's help, as they're often elsewhere or helping others and missing you out. They also seem more prone to having more 'card only' checkouts.

I tend to use Aldi for my main shop, but often top up with Lidl, as it's slightly more convenient.

luluaugust Thu 09-Jan-20 10:01:05

Can't quite do all my shopping at Lidl but certainly go and give it a try.

Stoker48 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:54:32

I haven’t got local Lidl but pop into one when I visit my son.
I love the bakery dept.
Those Portuguese custard tarts are currently 3 for one pound. They are one pound EACH in Waitrose. They also have sort of cooked mini pizzas in this dept.
Cost about 85p each.
Divine! Often have one for tea with a side salad.
They also sell “ Green Bags” - 2 reusable fruit and veg bags. Made from polyester. Machine washable.
As well as the obvious use, I find them invaluable for lots of other things. Great for semi see through shoe bags / keeping
your smalls separate when packing / keeping LEGO or other small toys that go everywhere etc etc.

Bluebird64 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:51:21

It's a lot like Aldi, though Lidl sell more fancy stuff. I love Greek Week when I can get yummy things like stuffed vine leaves and Greek Delight (like Turkish Delight!) Until recently our only Lidl in York was a long and torturous drive away but now there's a bigger store quite near us so we go more often. They do lovely vegetable samosas!

jaylucy Thu 09-Jan-20 09:48:47

I like Lidl - great for shopping in at the end of the month when money is a bit tight!
Only drawback that I can see is that they don't have the range of goods like Asda, Tescos etc have - they only have 1 or 2 options for any item in the main but their own brand things are good - it's one of the few places you can buy bags of crisps with the blue bag of salt in!
The in store bakery is good - they do some of the nicest doughnuts !

volcanopete Thu 09-Jan-20 09:35:17

Lidl is my favourite supermarket.I have saved a fortune there and the fruit and veg is particularly good.My wife likes their wine too.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:21:43

I like Aldi better but that may be because it’s more convenient.

They stock a lot of British fresh food, have a great ground coffee at a brilliant price and their brioche buns don’t contain palm oil. What’s not to like?

I can’t do all my shopping there but I use it regularly.

Harris27 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:16:02

Tried both also and Lidl and like Aldi better.

Greenfinch Thu 09-Jan-20 09:11:08

The only thing I dislike is the lack of Customer Service. It is not easy to find help if things go wrong but I suppose that is the price we have to pay for cheap goods.

Pittcity Thu 09-Jan-20 07:52:05

It's Thursday, the day when the offers change in Lidl. A highlight is picking up the leaflet with next week's offerings.... we're easily pleased.

Doodledog Wed 08-Jan-20 23:56:40

I love it, and go there for 'treats', which might seem unusual, but I get my weekly shop delivered from Sainsbury's with all the usual things that I know I will need. About once a week when I am in town, I go into Lidl to see what is there. They don't necessarily have the same things every week, so it's easier to spot new items, and I top up with those.

I find their bread is delicious, and the deli counter often has really good quality and reasonably priced items, such as antipasto and cheeses. They do excellent ice cream, too - sometimes a brand like Haagen Dazs, and other times an own brand 'Deluxe' one. The Deluxe brand is their equivalent of Tesco Finest, and they have some lovely things, particularly at Christmas. Their Stollen bites are to die for.

Then, of course, there is the Isle Of Dreams grin. This is the bit in the middle where they sell random items at reduced prices. One week it might be motorcycle accessories, and the next baby clothes - you never know, and the fun is in finding out.

Chewbacca Wed 08-Jan-20 21:34:56

The chocolate is miles better @ Aldi isn't it anno? I bought a box of their alcoholic truffles to take to a friend's supper evening at Christmas. I think they were £4.99 a box? They were snaffled in minutes and everyone said was lovely quality chocolate it was. Beats Mars/Nestle/Cadburys any day.

annodomini Wed 08-Jan-20 21:06:16

I wish the media would stop referring to Aldi and Lidl as 'discounters'. If they were selling well-known and widely advertised brands at a reduced price, they would be selling 'at a discount'. The brands of chocolate they sell, for example, are unknown to the big supermarket chains and, I might add, of better quality than many 'popular' brands.
I use Aldi and Waitrose because both are convenient for me and I can get goods in one which I can't buy in the other - they tend to complement each other. I visit Lidl if I happen to be in the vicinity.

Chewbacca Wed 08-Jan-20 21:03:58

The bakery is wonderful but I just don't seem to be able to find anything else in Lidl that I like. Prefer Aldi on balance, especially the aisle of sh**e bargains.