Gransnet forums

Chat

What is Lidl like as a supermarket

(64 Posts)
Patsy70 Wed 08-Jan-20 20:29:34

I love Lidl and do my main shop there, but also use local green grocers and butchers. The lack of too much choice is a bonus for me, as I get quite giddy when in Tesco or Sainsbury, working out the best value for money whilst traipsing around a huge area. We don't have long queues in our local Lidl, and in fact as it is a smaller shop and the staff at the checkout are super efficient, it takes much less time. Would really recommend it!

EllaKeat Wed 08-Jan-20 19:42:44

We have a Lidl and a very recently my opened Aldi.
Lidl all the way for me, would be happy to never enter aldi again?

Disclaimer: in MY area

Lidl have scrumptious bakery, fresh veg, fresh fruit, fresh meat, lots of very unusual foodstuffs to experience.
Aldi have bread, veg and fruit that last a day or two, excellent meat, the aisle of shame and an overwhelming sense of disappointment.

I love Lidl, very hmmmm about Also. Want to like it, but just not getting there!

grannymy Wed 08-Jan-20 19:40:29

There cleaning products are fab. So cheap and often have awards attached to them.

Scribbles Wed 08-Jan-20 19:40:22

We have a Lidl fairly close and I use it quite a lot for day to day items like bread rolls, deli meats, odd cans and jars, tissues, breakfast cereal.

TBH, I'm not impressed with the fresh fruit and veg. It looks wonderful but is mostly completely tasteless. They stock a small range of fresh fish which is good quality but I can't vouch for the meat as I prefer to use a local butcher.

Oh, and their cut flowers are excellent value for money.

Grannyboots1 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:38:45

I love Lidl and shop there regularly. I suggest take a basket and have a good look round. They are starting to stock some well known brands. The money I save is a bonus.

Pittcity Wed 08-Jan-20 19:36:51

We love the bakery and the weekly specials....we bought new kitchen scales last week.

Grannyknot Wed 08-Jan-20 19:36:29

My local Lidl is great. The lack of too many options is a bonus in my view, who needs 16 or more different brands of laundry soap to choose from? grin

The quality of their top line rib eye steak is excellent.

Greenfinch Wed 08-Jan-20 19:34:01

I love it but avoid it because of the long queues. However an Aldi has opened recently and I think this might help the situation. Lidl's prices are competitive and the quality of most of their products is excellent. My one reservation is the vegetables.I have found that the potatoes in particular are not always as fresh as they could be and have had to return them on occasion. They bake some very nice bread.

Grammaretto Wed 08-Jan-20 19:32:05

It's my nearest supermarket What would you like to know?
It has good quality fresh food and fruit and veg and its prices are kept low.
I mainly use our community shop as I prefer to support local producers but every couple of weeks I go to Lidl, and am usually tempted by something like wine and household stuff .

grannyactivist Wed 08-Jan-20 19:31:17

I shopped in my local Lidl when I lived in Germany, so when I heard it was coming to my town I was delighted. The choice is more limited than other supermarkets and Lidl doesn't stock all the well known brands, but it's cheaper and usually good quality.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:30:34

Thankyou

ineedamum Wed 08-Jan-20 19:29:49

The reason it is cheap is because there is limited choice. I shop for my basics in Lidl as I find the quality and price is better.

Blinko Wed 08-Jan-20 19:28:53

We have Lidl, Aldi and all the big supermarkets within a five mile radius. In my view, Lidl and Aldi offer good quality produce at a very competitive price. I'd say my bill usually comes in around a third cheaper at Lidl or Aldi.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jan-20 19:25:05

What do all you gransnetters think to Lidl , I’ve never shopped in one, as we haven’t got one nearby