Gransnet forums

Chat

Big Ben Bong.

(134 Posts)
ginny Tue 14-Jan-20 11:14:51

A scheme has been suggested to raise money by donations for Big Ben to ring out as we leave the EU.
For goodness sake ! If people want to mark the occasion surely there must be better ways for donations to be spent.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Jan-20 09:34:14

Good for you, DoraMarr!

westendgirl Fri 17-Jan-20 09:39:16

This gets more and more like an early Ealing comedy . No wonder we are a laughing stock, but I do agree with Ginny 42.I do think some of the posters are sounding like infants, however.
By the way for those of you worried about the colour of your passport(though why it should matter I dont know)they've had blue covers in the local Pound Shop for ages.

JenniferEccles Fri 17-Jan-20 09:55:17

Who says we are a laughing stock?

I have spoken to quite a lot of people on holiday in various EU countries since we voted to leave over three long years ago , and I can assure you that many were envious of us.

Calendargirl Fri 17-Jan-20 09:57:02

Only two weeks to go!

Urmstongran Fri 17-Jan-20 10:40:28

Ah well, seems it’s not to be. The powers that be didn’t want to use taxpayer’s money. Fair enough. More bizarrely however they won’t allow expenses to be covered by crowdfunding.

Never mind, we are leaving the EU that’s the main issue here.

We wouldn't be normal if we weren't enjoying this period against all those who have been telling us for 3 years or more that Brexit would never happen. People who were delighted when the Supreme Court, the Scottish High Court, the House of Commons, the Speaker, the BBC, Gina Millar and others all conspired to prevent Brexit.

Well it’s happening. The GE ballot box gave it an enormous thumbs up. Boris got his stonking majority. The chiming of Big Ben, although symbolic doesn’t really matter.

Greta Fri 17-Jan-20 11:46:56

I thought the ringing of Big Ben to 'celebrate' Britain leaving the EU was just a joke when I first heard it. I guess leave voters see the bell ringing as their chance to proclaim ”we won”. After the election Boris Johnson promised he would be the Prime Minister of both leavers and remainers. That statement was obviously just another empty soundbite.

I hope that from now on we will get accurate updates from the government on how things are progressing – and not just with trade. Let's have no more childish events and attempts to distract us.

freyja Sat 18-Jan-20 08:42:48

I think we have missed the point about BB. The whole Parliamentary building is being renovated including BB because it is in a state of collapse due to 100 years of neglect. In other words the building housing BB is in a dangerous condition and is being worked on by many people to restore it. To disrupt this work just because BJ wants to have a two minute bong that can only be heard by Londoners is stupid, dangerous with no consideration to the work in progress or thought to the site workers,

If it is really necessary to mark this date then surely it would be better, cheaper and watched by the whole nation to light the beacons, to mark the occasion.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jan-20 09:25:17

The news now is that a countdown clock will be projected onto the facade of no.10 instead.

This seems a better idea to me as not so provocative but still a marker for those who want one.