Gransnet forums

Chat

Love or loathe Tattoos

(152 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:05:54

Your thoughts on tattoos body art or colouring book

Tangerine Wed 15-Jan-20 20:08:20

I think it's up to the individual although I don't think it's a good idea to have tattoos on the face, neck, hand or anywhere that will show during an interview.

I don't have any tattoos but I don't hate them. It depends on how tasteful they are and where they are placed, I think.

Buffybee Wed 15-Jan-20 20:17:37

Luckily, neither my children or Grandchildren have them.
They really don't look good imo!

boheminan Wed 15-Jan-20 20:19:25

This topic's been brought up a few times before and brings with it lot of venom on a personal level. I have 4 tattoos, all my own design and all mean something to me. They hurt no one and make me happy.

Right! now I'm outta here before the usual nastiness begins....

jura2 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:20:58

Not for me, for sure. But got lots of young wonderful friends with tatoos - and they look great on them.

Oopsminty Wed 15-Jan-20 20:21:17

Tattoos are perfectly fine for those who want them

SirChenjin Wed 15-Jan-20 20:27:50

I loathe them - but to each their own etc etc smile

TrendyNannie6 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:29:12

Oh didn’t realise that it had been asked before bohemian but for the record I have 5 myself and 3 others in my immediate family also have them all tastefully done

Hetty58 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:31:50

I think that most of them are very artistic. I'd have them myself if I weren't such a coward!

twiglet77 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:34:23

I absolutely hate them, on either gender, at any age. I was desperately disappointed when my younger DD got her first, just above the knicker line on the small of her back, which she freely admits was just to wind me up. She has added a few small ones over the years, again often just as a rebellious gesture. On her first holiday to the Med with a girl friend, my reminders to stay safe included not getting tattoos abroad - but she got one on her foot, to make a point. It was the most painful one she's had done, though luckily didn't get infected. It's so silly, she will look ridiculous when they are still there, on wrinkly old skin.

My son has them all over his arms, back and even his legs. Elder DD isn't tempted at all. Many of her friends have their children's names and birth dates tattooed on their wrists - why? do they think they're going to forget them??

FlexibleFriend Wed 15-Jan-20 20:46:47

I don't have any and don't want any but quite admire good quality tattoo's on others. My youngest son has some amazing work on his body and it's cost him a fortune but I guess like everything quality doesn't come cheap.

SirChenjin Wed 15-Jan-20 20:47:19

My cousin has a large one of her two children’s faces - like you twiglet I’ve often wondered why as it’s not as if she’s going to forget them, especially now we have these fantastic things called cameras. Unfortunately the tattoo isn’t very good so the boys don’t look particularly bonny, poor things - at least with a bad photo you can just hit delete!

Chewbacca Wed 15-Jan-20 20:51:55

Not for me personally but I can appreciate that some of them are absolute works of art and the wearer is, justifiably, very proud of them. The 2 young men in a local coffee shop were delighted to show off their magnificent tats to my little GD recently!

MissAdventure Wed 15-Jan-20 20:53:19

Some are beautiful works of art, some are ugly works of art, and some couldn't be called art.

Doodledog Wed 15-Jan-20 20:54:14

I'm not a fan of tattoos, but that's partly the point, isn't it? If people like me liked them, they wouldn't be a sign of rebellion.

Colouring books? I'm not sure I understand that bit of the OP. Do you mean those adult 'mindful' ones? I quite like them now and again, as they require just enough concentration to take my mind off things, but not enough that I can't listen to the radio or watch TV when I'm colouring. My daughter usually gets me one at Christmas, and I colour in while she is staying, but then it gets tidied away and I forget about it again.

Anrol Wed 15-Jan-20 21:13:00

Not for me and generally don’t like them, but each to their own. I do think some tattoos on legs, particularly on some women’s on legs, unfortunately look like terrible varicose veins.

notanan2 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:18:43

Im neutral. They dont bother/affect me but I wouldnt spend my own hard earnt money on one!

I dont see the point of having them all hidden though. They are expensive so surely you want it somewhere prominant, I mean you wouldnt splash out on pearls then only wear them under polonecks!

And in modern workplaces visable tattoos are no hinderance at interview or for progression

notanan2 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:20:13

If people like me liked them, they wouldn't be a sign of rebellion.

Theyre not these days. Theyre quite mainstream/middle class.

BlueSky Wed 15-Jan-20 21:25:25

Not my cup of tea but then each to their own as they say. If I wanted one I'd have one even at my ripe old age!

Calendargirl Wed 15-Jan-20 21:32:27

I think they are awful on anyone.

Doodledog Wed 15-Jan-20 21:34:20

Theyre not these days. Theyre quite mainstream/middle class.

They are definitely more mainstream than they used to be, but I think a lot of people have them as a rebellion thing. My daughter has a few, and she was definitely making a statement when she had them done.

I know a few people who had them for a significant birthday - almost as a final nod to youth. Those ones usually date more than others, I think.

I don't have strong feelings about them either way, really, but I would never have one personally.

Missfoodlove Wed 15-Jan-20 21:48:29

Visible tattoos are often called jobstoppers however in the UK it would seem doctors, police officers, lawyers, teachers all seem to have them.

Framilode Wed 15-Jan-20 22:20:40

No visible tattoos allowed in the large city law firm where my daughter works. Not sure I agree with this but it is what it is.

BBbevan Thu 16-Jan-20 05:50:11

Delicate and unobtrusive can look quite nice. But large areas of uncovered tattooed body are very off putting. In some cases quite vulgar

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-Jan-20 08:32:18

Can’t stand them ! Thankfully my children have felt the same.