Gransnet forums

Chat

Love or loathe Tattoos

(153 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 15-Jan-20 20:05:54

Your thoughts on tattoos body art or colouring book

smithy52 Sun 07-Mar-21 16:25:28

i dislike them years ago it was only sailors that had them my father had a small thistle ,all i can say is when they are older and in a care home the carers will have a field day trying to make out what they are when the skin is all wrinkled

PamGeo Thu 30-Jan-20 01:50:01

I've got a large one on my back and I'm having more artwork around it to complete it soon.

The tattooist I go to has an art degree and has almost 50 years experience under his belt. He also has a large sign in his studio saying he won't do faces, hands, sunburnt skin or if you have had alcohol. I wish many many tattooists had the same responsible attitude towards their work and took as much pride in producing good work.

I nursed an elderly lady once who was everything you would expect a genteel intelligent lady to be. When I was helping her to bathe I couldn't help but see her fabulous tattoos, I'm sure my jaw dropped because it was the last thing I was expecting. Every inch of her was covered in brilliantly coloured well done tattoos apart from her hands, neck and face.

Viva la difference as they say, long may we enjoy the freedom to express ourselves as we wish.

Chestnut Sat 25-Jan-20 16:50:10

I agree that prejudice comes into play if we make judgements about the people under the tattoos based on what we think they are like. People our age are bound to associate tattoos with sailors and villains but we know that is no longer the case. I can still dislike them and find them hideous, also that it's very sad that anyone feels the need to have them.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jan-20 16:37:06

I agree with varian regarding only sailors and villains that used to have tattoos (my DF was a sailor) and, I'll be honest, that stuck with me until a couple of years ago. I was with GD, catching a quick meal in a local fast food outlet. On the same bench table as us were 2 young men. Both were covered in tattoos; one mainly monochrome and the other vividly coloured. They had dozens of them. I'd decided to ignore them but my GD was mesmerized by them and couldn't take her eyes off them. I decided to put my prejudices aside and I asked them if they would mind showing my GD their tattoos. They were the sweetest, kindest, most considerate young men you could wish to meet. GD was treated very kindly and they answered all of her questions about how long they took, did it hurt, would they wash off, etc.

Lessons learned? Look beyond my own prejudices. See what lies beneath.

Chestnut Sat 25-Jan-20 15:16:02

Why does it have to be about prejudice? I just think they're hideous and the colours look toxic and disgusting. I don't see them as art, I see them as some kind of statement. That is not prejudice, it's just how I perceive them.

varian Sat 25-Jan-20 12:51:53

On holiday in a large hotel in a hot beach resort in the Middle East, I noticed that the clientele were almost entirely white (actually various shades of pink) Europeans - mostly Germans, with some Russians, French, Italians, Scandanavians and a few Brits.

As it is term time there are no families with school age children only young childless folk, parents with preschool children, middle aged and old folk.

About half (including me) are overweight and I would say at about a third have tattoos. There are tattooed folk of all ages, but the younger they are the more likely they are to be tattooed.

I don't like tattoos, probably because in our youth they tended to be seen only on sailors and villains. I admit I am prejudiced. During our holiday we spoke to some perfectly nice, intelligent tattooed folk but I never plucked up the courage to ask why they'd had them done.

I will try to be less prejudiced in future but I'd still be disappointed if any of my children or grandchildren got tattoos.

Evie64 Wed 22-Jan-20 17:29:14

I've seen some tattoos that look really beautiful and artistic. However, I think it's such a shame that no-one has invented a tattoo that fades to nothing after say, 20 years? That way there would be any old wrinkly with sagging tattoos out there? Now there's a business model! Mmmm, I feel some research coming on. Always fancied a henna tattoo though, they last about a month I think.

KarenHigginsbottom Sun 19-Jan-20 15:33:54

Tattoos turn me on

SirChenjin Sun 19-Jan-20 14:23:25

At the end of the day people should not judge a person by their tattoos

It’s disingenuous to suggest that people shouldn’t judge by appearances. How we present ourselves to the world by physical means sets the tone for how we want others to view us - our lifestyle, or preferences, our class. Why did your friend choose scary tattoos, knowing that others would make assumptions about him (just as he will make assumptions about others)?

Hamp75 Sun 19-Jan-20 00:57:38

Also if anyone watches the programme Tattoo Fixers you can't help but notice that the customers come out with larger and worse tattoos than the ones they had replaced!

Hamp75 Sun 19-Jan-20 00:51:09

Apart from the small ones that you might see on a shoulder of a butterfly, I think they are hideous. They might start out with a bit of colour but they all end up a mass of mostly indecernable black ink. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone, but women in particular, would want to disfigure themselves in that way. I am sure the wearers wash but they look dirty and so am not very keen on being served by someone with tattoos on their lower arms. When you think what burns victims go through to restore their skin to normal, seeing people do this to themselves has me wondering about their body image.

Dolphin74 Sat 18-Jan-20 22:41:44

Hi Everyone, I like a lot of people think it’s up to the individual! I at the moment have one but am due to get one more this year. My dad got his first tattoo when he was 60 which I thought was great. He then said he would get one on his 70th that was well over 2 years ago! We are both going to go together. At the end of the day people should not judge a person by their tattoos! I have a friend who has some quite Scary tattoos and people often judge him, yet he is the nicest most kind hearted person you could ever wish to meet! Which proves my point.

Luckygirl Sat 18-Jan-20 21:41:17

The colour pallette is so limited - that horrible blue.

Harris27 Sat 18-Jan-20 20:52:30

Youngest son has one and I nearly dropped on the spot! I didn’t say anything but. My silence spoke volumes! He lives at home now and I never ever see it thank goodness husband loves them! Grrr!!!

Harri1 Sat 18-Jan-20 20:04:55

Nah, not for me...and happily for me non of my six siblings and two children and their spouses have have them.. nor any of my close friends....but each to their own... ?

Linbrikat Sat 18-Jan-20 11:31:02

I'm in the loathe camp here. I just think they look ugly. I was so disappointed to see a new photo of my favourite actor recently and discover that he's had the inside of one of his forearms inked.

Shropshirelass Sat 18-Jan-20 08:33:50

My daughter has one on her shoulder, a very small tasteful one. I have a friend who had his dogs face tattooed on his arm, it was horrible, nothing like his lovely dog. If people have a lot of tattoos I think they look like bruises. I don't really like them, and once they are done you are stuck with them for life, what will they look like as the skin ages? Facial tattoos are vile and those who have their eyeballs tattooed must be insane! A lot of the time it appears to be the ones who are struggling for money who have the most tattoos!

Luckygirl Fri 17-Jan-20 09:57:16

I hate to see them - but not really my business as I am not the one with them! Each to his own indeed.

luluaugust Fri 17-Jan-20 09:52:00

I also think its personal choice. Interested to hear from a friend that on the Continent is considered a real art form, most people here I know with them have had them done to commemorate some event in their lives.

Mamma66 Fri 17-Jan-20 08:53:17

I don’t have any and nor does my DH, but I think it’s up to the individual. I have seen some very beautiful sleeves where the artwork is amazing, but personally I think someone should think long and hard before having a tattoo on their face or neck. My youngest Stepson had Iggul on his forearm after a character in the children’s programme ‘In the Night Garden’ (he intended to have Piggle on the other arm). We tried and tried to persuade him not to, not least as he had misspelled it, but he was adamant. He would never admit it but I know he regrets it now.

Some tattoos are very beautiful and whilst they are not for me I can admire them. Each to their own IMO.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Jan-20 00:27:29

I'm always pleased to see colourful people about.
I like inventive dressers and quirky people (ones who genuinely are, not ones who pretend to be)

So, even if it's something I don't like, I still think good on them.

Carryon Fri 17-Jan-20 00:20:30

I will never understand why anyone would want a tattoo.
You only have one skin, why deface it?

juneo Thu 16-Jan-20 22:47:17

I'm 56 and have 6, all tastefully done and all mean something, and when I'm old and wrinkley I doubt I will even care! You can not judge someone simply from having a tattoo! I have 4 children (adults) none have tattoos but if they did have a little bit of body art , I would not mind, as there are far worse things that they could do!!! I really don't understand why people get so nasty about them! If you don't like them, that's ok too, accept each other as individuals!! .

Yehbutnobut Thu 16-Jan-20 22:41:49

Not anyone’s business but your own. You like them then get one or more. You don’t then don’t bother.

Unless you are one of those who love telling others what they can and can’t do or being judgmental about other people’s choices then it’s a no-brainer.

boheminan Thu 16-Jan-20 22:31:11

You ain't seen nothing yet Doodledog grin