Gransnet forums

Chat

Designated GP

(37 Posts)
Emma2 Thu 16-Jan-20 09:00:26

Until a few years ago my G.P. knew all about me and would recognise me in the street and ask after me. Yesterday during a routine appointment with an advanced nurse practioner I asked who my Doctor was and was told it really didn't matter but she did give me name I had never heard of who apparently is technically my doctor. Seems a bit sad.

Sussexborn Thu 16-Jan-20 11:46:07

When you have rare or complicated medical problems it is time wasting and frustrating to have to keep going over old ground with different doctors and being wary of the reception you may get. I had one doctor who kept insisting that I must have a similar sounding but totally different disease. I was mid treatment and it was very distressing.

If you are attending for one off medical issues then it doesn’t matter too much who you see. Again, a named doctor may make different decisions because she/he is aware of your overall health and the implications it may have for treatment.

M0nica Thu 16-Jan-20 11:48:09

I rarely see a doctor, but when I did need one I would asked for my designated GP, whom I knew, and made sure I always saw, as I get on very well with her.

Now it is a telephone/email system. The day's designated doctor calls you back and decides who you see and when.

Last time I was seen by the nurse practitioner, and in this particular case, I was not impressed, She talked down to me and kept saying ,'bless' to everything I said, in that irritating patronisng way, which completely undermined my confidence as to whether she was actually listening to what I was saying or just producing the standard diagnosis for old people with these symptoms.

It has put me right off contacting the surgery, no matter what my problems, unless in dire necessity.

Doodledog Thu 16-Jan-20 12:58:20

The practice nurse at my surgery does that, too. I was there for an injection on Monday, and in five minute slot I was sweetheart, flower, darling, my love and goodness knows what else. It drives me mad. I would much prefer to be Mrs Dog, but it doesn't seem worth making a fuss when she means well (and is the one wielding the needle!).

Witzend Thu 16-Jan-20 13:57:35

If I need a GP, I honestly don’t care which one I see.
I know I’m lucky in that (touch wood) I don’t often need one, though.

FlexibleFriend Thu 16-Jan-20 14:18:19

I go to a large GP practice and always see the same GP. He knows my condition as he took the trouble to educate himself when I was diagnosed. He'd heard of the condition but knew little about it before me and I have an unusual form of the condition. He knows me by my first name and also my son and Dil and Grandson. He always asks them how I'm doing etc. I see him because I don't always want to be explaining myself over and over and he's excellent in fact he bends over backwards to help me. I'd be devastated if he left.

cornergran Thu 16-Jan-20 14:26:46

Our surgery was was absorbed by a huge group practice. My named GP is based and works at a location 12 miles away. No, never seen them and don’t suppose I will!

Greenfinch Thu 16-Jan-20 14:57:25

When we ring up for an appointment at our surgery we are asked to book with our own GP if possible as "this is the best practice for the continuity of care".I am always able to see my own doctor.

SusieB50 Thu 16-Jan-20 16:02:17

I am writing to say that my surgery is wonderful ! All the doctors and nurses could not be more caring . My husband died at home on 31st December . During his last weeks he saw three different GP's , a nurse practitioner and I spoke to the GPs on the phone . All of them could not have done more for us and treated him as if they had known him for ever. After he had died, each one phoned me individually to offer condolences and support . They are all young, hard working and lovely . Also a shout out for the amazing district nurses and Macmillan team as well .

Greenfinch Thu 16-Jan-20 18:00:20

So sorry to hear about your DH Susie but glad you felt so supported by your Practice. It reminded me of my mother just before she died. She was staying with us and so was a temporary patient at our small practice. One wet and windy Friday night one of the doctors stopped off on her way home to see if Mum was OK.I have never forgotten it.

Pantglas2 Thu 16-Jan-20 20:51:07

How lovely to know yourGP. My DH does because he’s there so often but I’m rarely ill so they don’t know me and I never take offence but am grateful for good health. Long may my situation continue!

watermeadow Thu 16-Jan-20 20:55:04

I’ve seen “my” GP twice in 25 years. I seldom need to see a doctor so never see the same one twice, which doesn’t matter as I am reasonably healthy.
My only gripe is their refusal to put my eye drops on repeat prescription. As they stop me going blind and are my only medication I feel I’m entitled to them.
The Tories hate the NHS and have succeeded in their aim of running it down so that people will go private. Hoorah, let’s make loads of money out of sickness like they do in the US!