Gransnet forums

Chat

Charity shop volunteers - standing up

(50 Posts)
boheminan Fri 17-Jan-20 15:37:53

My friend, who's worked for years in one of the large charity shops as a 2 day volunteer, told me she's given up working as they now expect all till workers to do their (sometimes few hours) stint standing up - and her legs couldn't do it. Apparently a couple of other volunteers have left for the same reason.

I can't understand why this is happening - especially as these good folk are giving their time free. Do customers expect, nay demand, the person that serves them should stand to do so? Has anyone in GN land any idea why this should be hmmconfused?

icanhandthemback Sat 18-Jan-20 11:28:40

I had a friend who was a manager in a place which relied on volunteers and she found that it was a very difficult job as volunteers who had been there for years hated change of any sort so would threaten to walk away at anything she suggested. She said it was difficult because they weren't employees who could just be directed because they wanted their wages but felt that their act of volunteering trumped any request she made of them. I guess it has to be a two way street for it to work effectively.

SillyNanny321 Sat 18-Jan-20 11:31:41

Bluebird64 I do not know where on earth you have had your bad experience of charity shops but obviously very limited!
In over 20 years I have not seen Volunteers allowed to 'cream off all the good'! Donated goods are more than welcome in our shop & others that we visit! If it was not for people donating their unwanted items most charity shops could not exist. There are very strict regulations in most charity shops as to when items can be purchased by staff members. Every item has to go on to the shop floor for a stated time before staff can then ask to buy an item which does have to be paid for. The reason most charity shops exist is to provide funds for what the people who donate consider a 'good cause'! So before you dismiss us all as grasping, lazy, miserable people try looking through less jaded eyes please?

Brigidsdaughter Sat 18-Jan-20 11:52:13

Bluebird a very negative view. They are successful or would not exist. Many shop windows look as good as mainstream.
I've been very lucky (mainly children's items and books) over the years.
Charity shops have come a long way ' paid managers to ensure better displays, only good items, etc days of cluttered smelly shops gone.

Recycling too. What's not to like?

seacliff Sat 18-Jan-20 12:09:07

I could not stand up for several hours, or even half an hour, as my back would seize up.

I volunteer with an animal charity and I spend days in the summer on our stall at various local country fairs etc. I bring a folding chair, but I am constantly getting up to serve people, or just to chat to them about their cats, many of which they got from us. I somehow think I look more approachable and ready to help them when standing.

I think that particular charity have got it wrong though. The main thing is, sitting or standing, helpers should not be chatting amongst themselves too much, and making customers feel an unwelcome interruption. A chat is fine, but when someone looks like they need help, a friendly smile and offer of assistance is all that's needed. Charity shops would not exist without their volunteers. They should appreciate them.

nipsmum Sat 18-Jan-20 12:40:26

I volunteered to help WVS when I retired from work. I did not sit a lot but took an elderly lady for her weekly shopping until she passed away. I loved doing the things I was asked to do but yes it could be tiring sometimes. Sometimes you have to be quite fit and able to volunteer.

Madmaggie Sat 18-Jan-20 12:42:52

Its unreasonable to expect someone to stand in the same spot for hours on end. Likewise its not healthy to remain seated for hours on end. A good mix ofstanding & moving about with option to sit as required is ideal. There should be enough space behind the counter to accommodate a stool & task swapping so the circulation doesnt stagnate. I think its a nice feature of charity shops to be more relaxed. I appreciate volunteers flowers

seadragon Sat 18-Jan-20 12:50:37

I don't stand if I can sit...and I don't sit if I can lie down...

oldgimmer1 Sat 18-Jan-20 12:54:02

I dislike charity shops too and agree they're not a great addition to our high streets.

As for unpaid workers not being able to sit down - words fail me.

Houndi Sat 18-Jan-20 13:03:09

I love charity shops and you are helping the environment with recycling.I live in a very rich area and the goods at the charity shop are always good quality and most often designer names

grandtanteJE65 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:20:58

There are still shops that forbid their assistants to sit down in the course of the working day, except for during their breaks.

Obviously those working a cash desk usually sit, but when did you ever see a shop assistant sitting, who didn't get up to help you?

Charity shops volunteers are usually women over retirement age, so presumably many volunteers cannot stand for six or eight hours at a time. If those who cannot stop volunteering the shops will be forced to reconsider their policy.

Aepgirl Sat 18-Jan-20 13:26:42

Charities are be owing big business now, and employ quite well-paid managers. My local charity shop had a complete walk-out of volunteers because she was such a bully.

oldgimmer1 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:37:31

I love the idea of a walkout by volunteers. grin.

My view is that, if charities want to be classed as businesses they should employ paid workers.

HurdyGurdy Sat 18-Jan-20 13:39:46

Bluebird64 - "They're full of tat because the staff cream off all the good stuff. Your donated goods aren't welcomed because they mean work. I too have had to spend hours on my feet as a charity shop worker "

As a former charity shop worker, do we assume that you, too, "creamed off all the good stuff".

I think your post does a great dis-service to those who give their time in the shops.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 18-Jan-20 13:48:13

BlueBird64 we have several charity shops in our town, and I can honestly say the ones I’ve been in have had lots of beautiful clothes, the staff have never creamed off all the good stuff. The clothes in the windows look fantastic, inside is colour co.ordinated, you would actually think they were high street stores and not donated items. So I certainly don’t agree that they are full of tat. And I do think the ladies that give their time up to help run these shops should certainly be able to sit if they want to.

Liz46 Sat 18-Jan-20 14:23:55

In the charity shop where I volunteered, the rule was that items had to have been out in the shop for at least 24 houra before a volunteer could purchase them. Volunteers got a small discount which had to be signed off by the manager.

anxiousgran Sat 18-Jan-20 15:09:14

Of course staff should be able to sit when there are no customers needing attention, but stand up when there are.

There are some lovely charity shops, it depends who manages them. Our hospice charity bookshop is like a commercial bookshop. I have often asked for a certain title and they’ve found it. People come from all over the town to visit it.

One of the nicest evening dresses I ever bought was from a charity shop, when they put on a special Christmas evening, complete with a glass of Prosecco. The dress cost £10.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 18-Jan-20 17:20:45

The shop (not charity, it sells Fairtrade) where I volunteer has no problem with the staff sitting down. Any restriction like that sounds ridiculous to me. I was put off the Red Cross shops when I was told that they sometimes search the handbags of volunteers in case they have taken stuff from the shop. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Janetashbolt Sat 18-Jan-20 17:37:40

Check out staff at B&Q HAVE to stand up. I paid £15 for a doctor's note to allow me to have a stool, but i still had to walk round the till to scan things on flat beds

oodles Sat 18-Jan-20 18:03:51

I've never been able to stand up for too long. It seems sensible that staff whether voluntary or paid should be able to sit down at times if they need to. Even the monks in the middle ages had misericords to Perch on. It dirent have to be a low chair just something to take the weight off your legs a while, it's not good to stand in one place all the time. I remember one shop I went in in another town just to have a look round, the lady got up when I came in and I said no need to get up, just looking at those xxx, she said it was a rule if anyone came in you had to stand up. It had been quite a high seat she'd been on so she couldn't see any better. She said that all the shops had cctv and there was someone who looked centrally and if you were seen sitting with a customer in the shop you'd be in bother. It was the sort of shop with someone always popping in and out, as long as the assistant can see what's happening and as long as they help you when needed that's all that matters. How horrible to be spied on like that never knowing if someone is looking at you.

sparkii Sat 18-Jan-20 18:14:54

Nobody volunteers in a charity shop because they are on the make, and want to cream off the best stuff. It's damn hard work, the lugging around, the talking to people, the sorting, the till and so on.

It can provide some nice social interaction and a chance to meet people.

52bright Sat 18-Jan-20 19:00:53

I have never worked in a charity shop but those who are willing to do so should be given every consideration. If the shops had to pay even the minimum wage many shops would have to close. It also seems fair enough to me that those who give freely of their time should have the opportunity to buy the stock. The charity still gets the money. Of course those who volunteer will inevitably see stock first but I can't imagine they will want loads of the second hand goods. It is far cheaper for the charity shops to give the volunteers the opportunity to buy the stock than to pay them a wage. As for checking volunteers bags as a previous poster mentioned ...words fail me. Why would people willing to give large chunks of their time freely steal from the organisation they have chosen to help! How insulting to the volunteers. Well done those of you who do volunteer in these shops. I hope you are appreciated and you do find the occasional bargain you really like. flowers

f77ms Sat 18-Jan-20 19:41:02

I work 2 days a week in a charity shop. A seat is provided for the people who work the till, I don't know which shop your friend works for but I suggests she insists on having a chair! What can they do, sack her?

Notagranyet1234 Sat 18-Jan-20 21:09:35

I have just left a well known Swedish retailer after 2 years for this very reason. I would be standing for up to 8 hours a day only able to sit down on break (a total of 65 minutes). I am almost 60 and have numerous health issues, it was exhausting and my poor feet and legs were always swollen and sore. I now have a "sitting down" job and love it.

Jaxie Mon 20-Jan-20 09:27:07

Charity shops are NOT a waste of time. Recently my bossy daughter went through my wardrobe and picked out 5 bags of clothes, expensive ones, I'd hardly worn ( I know vanity, vanity, all is vanity). We took them to a local charity shop run to benefit a hospice and the manager said they would raise lots of money. They send an email to let you know how much your goods have raised, which is gratifying.