Gransnet forums

Chat

Birds singing outside

(39 Posts)
gillybob Sat 18-Jan-20 00:58:44

It’s 00.56 am on Saturday 18th January . It’s pitch dark and yet the birds are singing outside. Maybe like me, they just can’t sleep.

Very strange .

cornergran Sat 18-Jan-20 05:49:51

Since our street lights were changed to those white, more cost effective ones phoenix we often have bird song at all sorts of odd hours. It seems the birds are confused. You aren’t alone in hearing it or indeed being awake when sleep would be a better plan smile.

tanith Sat 18-Jan-20 07:19:17

We often have birds singing at 2/3am it’s woken me before now as cornergran says it might be to do with the new LED street lights. First time this year hearing the foxes barking last night too.

kittylester Sat 18-Jan-20 07:29:53

We also have them inside gilly. shock DH's white noise (to mask his tinnitus) is bird sounds.

Alishka Sat 18-Jan-20 14:14:26

One year, it was mid-January and our Mum was dying in hospital and wasn't expected to last very long. She'd suffered the last of the strokes which had afflicted her.My brother had come over from America where he lives, and we were all staying at our sister's house.
About 3am I got up and went outside for a cigarette and there was a blackbird singing its heart out. Brother came out and we stood together smoking and listening to this glorious song.
Mum died the next day.
Driving home to mine, the Paul McCartney song 'Blackbird' played on the radio. I pulled over and, for the first time since we'd been alerted, I sobbed.
That song's been very special to me since then.

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 18-Jan-20 14:17:03

I live on a farm with no street lights. Last weekend I heard what sounded like a blackbird at around 1030pm. Very odd.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 18-Jan-20 14:21:41

I haven’t heard them singing yet but must admit love to hear them chirping away

MiniMoon Sat 18-Jan-20 15:06:59

Before I retired I worked nights in a nursing home. The robins in the vicinity sang all night, all the year round.
Here, all I hear at night are owls hooting to each other.

Millie22 Sat 18-Jan-20 15:17:26

I love hearing the owls in the wood behind our house. They start about 11pm most nights.

Luckygirl Sat 18-Jan-20 15:33:55

I was out scraping the car clear of ice at 6.30 this morning and there were two birds holding a conversation when they should have been asleep - and so should I!

3nanny6 Sat 18-Jan-20 15:49:41

I thought I was the only one I heard the birds whistling outside the other night at about 10. 30 p.m. Last night I was up and down could not sleep too well and at about 3.30am. . the birds were chirping and whistling.
I always have the bedroom window open and last night the foxes were barking which got on my nerves, finally getting sleep and somewhere in unconsciousness I thought I heard loud cries of a baby I did not want to wake up but noise eventually too loud as came awake to sound of what could have been the fox getting a cat or loud cries of those bigger birds raiding the other birds nest as plenty of nesting going on right now whatever it was it was a sodding racket most of the night.
Perhaps the birds in my garden are complaining as I have been putting out less food to them as I want to discourage the rats that the food sometimes attracts.

NanTheWiser Sat 18-Jan-20 17:29:58

My daughter was telling me only last week, that she was surprised to hear a bird singing late at night, and apparently, robins DO sing at night (according to google). I know they sing at dusk, I heard "mine" last night just as the light was fading. Of course, it is coming up to mating time, and they are probably calling for a mate, or defending their territory.

jura2 Sat 18-Jan-20 17:33:17

Do you have bright street lights?

gillybob Sat 25-Jan-20 03:12:04

Lying awake again listening to the birds singing their little hearts out. It’s just after 3 am, still very dark and the street lights are the usual sort of dim yellow /orange and not very bright at all.

Juliet27 Sat 25-Jan-20 04:55:37

When I made my first cup of tea at 6 am yesterday I recorded two robins competing with their songs and sent it to my daughter in Sydney. As she says, birds in Australia shout whereas birds in UK sing. Songthrushes are already singing at dusk and blackbirds will be joining in soon, if not already. Don’t forget the RSPB Garden Birdwatch event is this weekend.

absent Sat 25-Jan-20 05:22:28

I would rather be woken up by birdsong than by people parking their cars while their "music" thumps out its persistent rhythm at top level.

Ginny42 Sat 25-Jan-20 06:47:34

I read that the mild winter has been good for the small birds. There is a parcel distribution hub not far away and the lights there are so bright it's like daylight all night. I'm sure the birds are affected by it. I think it's unnecessary for it to be so bright.

A robin sits on the wall near my kitchen window and sings its heart out in the dark each morning. There are a lot of great tits and blue tits this year There are some magpies though, and I worry for the little song birds when they're around.

cornergran Sat 25-Jan-20 07:00:33

Weird here this morning, absolute silence. I’m missing the singing,

NannyJan53 Sat 25-Jan-20 09:17:30

I leave the house at 7am in the week to take my Partner to the train station. It is still dark and the birds are merrily singing away. Only really noticed it this winter.

vampirequeen Sat 25-Jan-20 09:20:36

Both male blackbirds and robins sing at night. Apparently robins are beginning look for love so presumably blackbirds are doing the same.

vampirequeen Sat 25-Jan-20 09:20:57

Forgot to say it's usually in Dec and Jan.

gillybob Sat 25-Jan-20 09:25:12

I wonder if it is because it’s so mild that the birds are confused Ginny42?

We seem to have an extra lot of garden birds at the moment although I am topping the bird table up regularly . We have seen quite a few Robins of late, or perhaps just the same ones returning ? Not so many “rats with wings” seagulls around at the moment so giving the garden birds half a chance .

Mind you we have one of the very few proper gardens around these parts as most of my neighbours have paved theirs. Plenty of soil for digging around in and a tree too.

gillybob Sat 25-Jan-20 09:26:00

Aaah missed that vampirequeen so maybe it’s the Robins that are singing in the middle of the night?

lavenderzen Sat 25-Jan-20 09:31:48

On my walk yesterday, through the trees, a little robin joined me hopping from branch to branch as I called my dog his little head was bobbing from side to side. I love to hear them.

vampirequeen Sat 25-Jan-20 09:32:34

We forget that those pretty little robins are little thugs who only have one thing on their minds lol.