Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen and Prince Andrew

(80 Posts)
JonesKpj000 Mon 20-Jan-20 05:00:27

What are your views on a grinning Prince Andrew accompanying our Queen to church yesterday. Was this a mistake

Teddy123 Mon 20-Jan-20 10:47:24

I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for any of the Royals. That said, I see nothing wrong with Andrew accompanying his mother to church. In fact another good photo opportunity for the press.

TATT Mon 20-Jan-20 10:47:51

As appalling and sordid as it all seems, I agree with other folk in that he hasn’t been found guilty of anything. Trial by social media is a creeping development that should concern us all.

Jabberwok Mon 20-Jan-20 10:49:24

Anglicans do!

NaughtyNanna Mon 20-Jan-20 10:50:02

But you do go to confess!

Jabberwok Mon 20-Jan-20 10:50:22

Go to confession!

Anniebach Mon 20-Jan-20 10:50:27

You can go to confession in the Anglican Church, I do.

Callistemon Mon 20-Jan-20 10:51:09

Perhaps it was a nervous grimace (I didn't see the pictures)
Perhaps he was bracing himself for rotten eggs
Perhaps he thought that no-one remembered him and his misdemeanors and that he's off the hook now (wrong)

But perhaps, like the Kray twins, he loves his mum, as you said Elegran!
Or is hiding behind her skirts.
But yes, innocent until proved guilty.

mumagain you don't go to confession in the Church of England
Yes you can but he would have done the day before.

MawB Mon 20-Jan-20 10:53:19

Houndi Mon 20-Jan-20 10:28:51
I think the Queen is makimg a big mistake.Her stock will fall she needs not to be associated with Prince Andrew he is toxic

I think the Queen is a lot wiser than you give her credit for, she doesn’t need anything, also he is her son and despite his stupidity and all that, he has not been charged with or found guilty of anything other than his own lack of judgment.
It is so easy to be judgmental isn’t it hmm

suziewoozie Mon 20-Jan-20 10:58:15

You can be guilty of all sorts of things that are orally unacceptable but don’t involve breaking the law. He’s certainly guilty of plenty of things in this category.

MawB Mon 20-Jan-20 10:59:14

Even in the Catholic Church “Confession” is now referred to as the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
While the Anglican service contains the prayer of confession
(“ we confess that we have sinned against you in thought and word and deed, by what we have done and by what we have left undone...”etc ) it is not a separate service in its own right so I assume the comment about “Andrew going to confession” was meant to be witty.

MawB Mon 20-Jan-20 11:00:13

“Orally” unacceptable “ confused whatever do you mean Suziewoozie

nanamac77 Mon 20-Jan-20 11:12:05

Some of these posts help me to understand ( a little) why the Sussexes are turning their back on the UK.
As others say, Andrew is her son and will always be so - and surely church is a very appropriate place to go? Scottiebear sums up a wise and moderate view.
And as a mother, I wonder how many of us have ever wondered if a child's less attractive traits are anything to do with their upbringing. Being a mother is for life, which we don't realise when we hold that tiny baby in our arms.

JenniferEccles Mon 20-Jan-20 11:15:45

This is a big fuss about nothing.

I am most certainly not a fan of Andrew but I have no problem whatsoever with him accompanying his very elderly mother to church.

Mountains and molehills?

Aepgirl Mon 20-Jan-20 11:27:03

No, you don’t go to confession in the Church if England, but their is a part of the service where we are invited to ask for forgiveness, and CofE priests are able to offer confession.
Forgiveness is a huge part of the Christian ethos.

katie1 Mon 20-Jan-20 11:41:57

Maybe the Queen wanted to show that God forgives sins ?

paddyanne Mon 20-Jan-20 11:43:37

pinkquartz Charlie boy was friends with paedophiles too ...even put PB in a property ! What was that all about? I remember the photos of a grinning Jimmy Savile greeting him off a helicpter in Glencoe. accompanied by two "waitresses" in skimpy outfits.Bit of a strange setup .NONE of them are people who should be funded by the public....and no I dont think Charlie is just naive

Anniel Mon 20-Jan-20 11:54:25

I believe he was there to support his mother and gong to church is good for the soul. Saints and sinners are welcome there. Andrew going to church and supporting his mother is a good thing surely.

Thomas67 Mon 20-Jan-20 11:55:20

What’s the problem with going to church? If I asked my son to go with me to church I’d hope he would agree . It was just the Queens local church not a public occasion so there should be no difficulty with Andrew attending. Slating someone for their facial expression is not a sound reason to dislike them or judge their motives !

The Church of England does not have Confession by telling a priest your sins. Instead they believe in telling God yourself directly via personal prayer.

wicklowwinnie Mon 20-Jan-20 12:03:27

paddyanne, I agree with you, there seems to be a great deal of hypocrisy going on in the Royal family. Will Charles and Andrew be stripped of their military titles? No, I think not!!!

Joplin Mon 20-Jan-20 12:12:28

I think, in part, that it might have been her response to Meghan's father turning against his daughter so publically (not to mention his Ch.5 documentary appearance this Friday). Being seen with Andrew was in stark contrast & no words needed saying.

Legs55 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:16:40

wicklowwinnie Andrew will not be taking part in Trooping the Colour this year. Harry has lost his military titles as he is no longer a member of the Royal Family as distinct to being the Queen's grandson & part of the Windsor family.

Andrew is in the background, effectively retired, he has not been convicted of anything. His mistake was to give that "car crash" interview. I agree, why shouldn't he accompany his elderly mother to church?confused

sarahellenwhitney Mon 20-Jan-20 12:23:23

A mother is a mother and will take much from those she gives birth.One of my children has treated me badly but I cannot stop loving them.

Oopsminty Mon 20-Jan-20 12:31:08

Maybe he should be banished to the Tower

gagsy Mon 20-Jan-20 12:40:01

The Queen is very religious and goes to church every Sunday. Prince Andrew accompanied her. This is not a public event. No problem. After the week she’s had she’s amazing!

Esmerelda Mon 20-Jan-20 12:45:44

Please, people, try not to be judgemental ... and since we are speaking about a visit to church, remember the bit in the Bible about casting the first stone.