Gransnet forums

Chat

Dog poo - again! This time I want to fight back...

(79 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Mon 20-Jan-20 14:59:47

The other day we were leaving the house early, so that it wasn't light, and guess what I stepped in! angry Some clown has been going about letting his/her dog leave little piles, very often just outside people's gates, which makes me wonder if it is being done on purpose.

I know that spraying the piles with something bright both warns innocent pedestrians and has a shaming effect on the half-witted dog owners, but I don't know what to use. Ideally it should be something which will wash away before too long, so not paint. Can you get spray-on fluorescent hair-dye, or something like that? Any ideas welcome, and thank you in advance.

sparkii Mon 20-Jan-20 15:05:31

Yes, you can get a biodegradable spray from amazon. Big yellow can think it cost about £8.00.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 20-Jan-20 15:10:16

Aha! Thank you sparkii. I'm trying to avoid Amazon, but someone may know if it is available from anyone else. If not, I shall go for it.

rosecarmel Mon 20-Jan-20 15:42:55

You can use your own urine to deter neighborhood dogs from pooping in their familiar spots- And it's free-

Tedber Mon 20-Jan-20 16:50:06

Grrrrr....I get SO angry at these inconsiderate dog owners!!!! I LOVE dogs and have had many but no way would I let them deposit anywhere without picking up! There is absolutely no excuse for it! Gives ALL dog owners a bad name!

Several years ago (in a different house) I had one very large dog who always seemed to cr*p in my driveway. I waited patiently until one day I spotted said owner and followed discreetly until they went into their own house which was very close by. I went home and waited until my cats litter tray was well and truly used! I walked down the road and deposited the whole lot on his driveway!! Shocking eh? My family were mortified but had just had enough!

No idea if he ever knew who it was but I did notice a certain lack of dog poo thereafter.... (coincidence? maybe)

Shameful DOG owners.....

ladymuck Mon 20-Jan-20 16:56:14

I watched from my window as my neighbour stood and waited while her dog did its business in my garden. After she had gone in, I scooped it up on a shovel, knocked on her door and when she opened it, I threw the mess into her hallway. It didn't happen again!

Gaunt47 Mon 20-Jan-20 16:57:24

I'm the same as Tedber - but so called polite littering is my bug bear - I get little plastic bags tossed in my flower pots at the front of my house. And there's a dedicated cr*p bin 200 yards away!

Hetty58 Mon 20-Jan-20 16:59:46

We have Ring video doorbells for security.

My SIL found a large pile in his front garden one morning. He checked the doorbell video and confronted the couple the next evening (when they strolled by again).

He told them to clear up the mess - unless they wanted public shaming on the local Facebook page!

Luckygirl Mon 20-Jan-20 17:02:01

If you know who is doing it and where they live, then place the offending article in a paper bag, place on their doorstep, then light the paper, ring the bell and run - the person will come out, see the flames and try to stamp out the fire!!! - job done!

JenniferEccles Mon 20-Jan-20 17:02:22

Good Heavens ladymuck you were brave!

I guess you knew the people concerned.

ladymuck Mon 20-Jan-20 17:23:39

Great suggestion, Luckygirl!
JenniferEccles, I didn't know her personally but when you are angry, you find the courage to do things you might not otherwise do.

Sara65 Mon 20-Jan-20 17:50:02

We have a private car park at work, it’s locked at night, but easy to get into, almost every morning there is dogs mess in there.

We do have Cameras, so if it carries on, I shall find the footage and put it on Facebook!

Sara65 Mon 20-Jan-20 17:51:16

Tedber

Good for you, I’d have paid good money to watch that!

Yennifer Mon 20-Jan-20 17:58:14

I'd love there to be a dog poo vigilante following them home and popping it through their letter boxes

TrendyNannie6 Mon 20-Jan-20 18:03:58

It’s disgusting nothing worse, if I’m out with my dog and I see anyone ignoring their dogs crap, I shout you need to pick that up, we have a big meadow where lots of dog walkers tend to walk. And some have been know to pick it up and hang it on the tree branches, why they do this god only knows when there are 2 dog bins just before you go in at each entrance, apart from being pathetic to do this and so lazy, horses are sometimes kept in there at odd times and have eaten it as they are drawn to the cereal and poor horse owners having to call vets through dog owners stupiditty

Urmstongran Mon 20-Jan-20 18:12:27

I will always remember that incident ladymuck as your user name will remind me.
??

BlueBelle Mon 20-Jan-20 18:25:54

Oh but please can we put cats poo in Room 101 too please Weeding at my daughters today I pushed my hand straight into a posset ohhhh yuk yuk yuk

grannyqueenie Mon 20-Jan-20 20:33:21

I’ll go with that BlueBelle. Ever since all the plants in my raised beds were cut back in November I’m waging a daily war with a neighbour’s cat who is very persistent in thinking that it’s her “place”. Apart from the unpleasantness of having to clear it up my carefully chosen spring bulbs are being repeatedly disturbed. All this despite having lots of strategically placed sharp barbecue sticks sticking out of the soil! What’s more if she can’t find a satisfactory spot on the beds she just moves into the lawn. I’m seriously fed up with it all. Sorry for changing the focus of the thread but I feel better for the moan!

Yennifer Mon 20-Jan-20 20:36:16

I thought the point of cats was they were supposed to go in other people's gardens, mine go in my garden! Just picture a nice sunny day, the smell of newly cut grass, it's all utter bliss till you run one over with the lawnmower x

Urmstongran Mon 20-Jan-20 20:39:59

A cat??

Tedber Mon 20-Jan-20 20:44:11

Bluebelle use GLOVES gardening smile You can't put gloves on your feet when walking. (Nicely diverted to the cats again by the way bahaha)

SirChenjin Mon 20-Jan-20 20:47:28

We managed to keep the neighbour’s cat out of the flower beds by half filling plastic bottles with water and laying them in there on their sides - apparently they don’t like the movement of the water and the reflection of the sun off it. Either that or the neighbour’s cat is particularly thick.

Yennifer Mon 20-Jan-20 20:53:25

Urmstronggran a poo! I can never catch the cats, they run too fast x

watermeadow Tue 21-Jan-20 21:27:31

I carry a chalk to circle dog poo and write, “Pick up your dog’s poo”
Of the serial offenders round our way, most are old people. Just because you didn't pick up your dog’s poo 50 years ago is no excuse now.

kissngate Tue 21-Jan-20 21:43:47

Watermeadow- I also came across two Male 'older' offenders while walking my dog. I offered both of them bags saying I presume you've used them. The first guy ignored me and walked on and the second told me to pick it up myself. If I'd had my phone I would have taken his pic and shamed him online.