Gransnet forums

Chat

Complimenting strangers.

(86 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 20-Jan-20 19:06:42

I often compliment strangers when I'm out and about.
If a colour or style suits them I say so. Or maybe their children have been lovely, or anything that catches my attention really.
It's completely selfish, as I like to see the surprise and delight it brings.
Leaves me with a little rosy glow that I can use to protect myself against the grey weather, or the bad news that is invariably spouted.

But today for the first time in absolutely years, a stranger complimented me instead. On my hair!

Funnily enough all last week I was debating and edging towards changing it!

Now I'm back on the fence! confused

Namsnanny Tue 21-Jan-20 00:31:23

Dollymac … so easy to break through the outer shell we all have, with a genuine kind gesture isn't it?

Newquay Tue 21-Jan-20 09:11:27

You never know the impact a kind word/gesture can have on someone. I’m a great believer in passing kindness on-without being intrusive, of course!

polnan Tue 21-Jan-20 10:09:30

I will always talk to strangers... tell a lie, sometimes since dh died, I have to pop to local shop when just want to cry,, then I scoot in and out with head down

fortunately that does not happen often, so I will speak to anyone,, I don`t approach someone if they look as though they don`t want to be spoken to.. well not everyone does, I will tender a quiet hello, and pray, silently for them

compliment someone I don`t know?? of course, why not? however, I am basically shy, so if someone compliments me, and I have received some, I cringe!

minxie Tue 21-Jan-20 10:10:51

I’ve got long curly red hair, and it draws attention. One lady in a shop said I had lovely hair and actually took a handful of it and have it a shake !! I’ll take the compliment but not the touching

pamdixon Tue 21-Jan-20 10:12:42

On the odd occasions I'm actually buying myself new clothes (less and less these days!) I'll always compliment someone who is trying something on if I think they look nice in it (wouldn't dream of saying anything if I think they look frightful!). I've never had a negative response. And I always talk to strangers on buses or on the tube (I live in London) - have had some lovely conversations over the years.

glammanana Tue 21-Jan-20 10:22:17

I will talk to everyone and anyone given the chance,years ago when going to Liverpool clubs we would be in the "ladies" and all manner of compliments would be passed around as to the dress/makeup/shoes other girls where wearing all greatly accepted northern girls are such a friendly lot.

NotSpaghetti Tue 21-Jan-20 10:25:29

I try to say something nice to parents who are struggling with badly behaved or grumpy children - the parents who are generally trying to keep everything together and failing. A kind word on a bad day goes a long way.

Yesterday it was a mum with lots of shopping and two small children in a buggy who were miserable in a very hot shop. She had a (roughly) 5 year old who was carrying all the gloves and hats but the little two were flailing about and wanted out... one had managed to kick off a boot and the other was shouting and grabbing at things as they passed by.
She was trying to buy some knickers...
She was doing her best to keep their minds on other things but I know she would be pleased to be home after that.
I just exchanged a few words and she seemed to relax a bit and smile.
People can be so judgemental about children when out and about. It’s not an easy job even keeping them in one place!

Just don’t ask me to be so sympathetic to the ones allowed to run madly around a restaurant when we’re out for a quiet supper!

henetha Tue 21-Jan-20 10:29:44

I think it's a lovely thing to do. We can lift someone's whole day with a few kind words.

Moth62 Tue 21-Jan-20 10:32:28

I speak to people on buses, shop queues, trains, you name it. I find people often approach me to ask for help. It appears I have “a nice face” - or so I’ve been told. A laugh and a joke makes the world go round. Too many young folk miss out on that with their earpieces rammed in. It’ll be a much quieter world when our generation has gone! Having said that, I find young ones are equally kind and helpful when approached. It all depends how you do it.

jaylucy Tue 21-Jan-20 10:40:37

I often compliment strangers!
My son always says that I will talk to anyone (he's right) and has given up asking where I know them from !

Madmaggie Tue 21-Jan-20 10:48:40

Yes I compliment strangers. I can remember how great I felt when a waitress made a point of telling me, many moons ago now. That my children had been a pleasure to serve because they had said please and thank you to her. So now I try and make mums feel good. I tell mums they're doing a good job when they're looking exasperated too. If I see a woman trying on a coat or jacket for example in a shop and they're alone, I will say if it suits them, "What a lovely colour" etc.

rowanflower0 Tue 21-Jan-20 10:59:22

It is something I often do - it only takes an 'I love your earrings' to make someones day - so why not?
I'd advise anyone to try it - it only takes a moment and is so rewarding for everyone.

V3ra Tue 21-Jan-20 11:15:58

One thing I challenge myself to do is make a grumpy looking person smile. I smile at them, hold their gaze, and they always smile back. Such a transformation!

Riggie Tue 21-Jan-20 11:27:03

Ive done a "that looks lovely" in a queue in a clothes shop but thats probably as far as Id go with a stranger!!

Apricity Tue 21-Jan-20 11:33:23

Sometimes it's those subtle little exchanges with a complete stranger that are so lovely. Not so long ago a young woman sitting opposite me on a train pointed to my necklace, smiled and gave me a thumbs up. It was a shared woman to woman moment of appreciation that spanned generations.

jura2 Tue 21-Jan-20 11:45:55

jaylucy ''I often compliment strangers!
My son always says that I will talk to anyone (he's right) and has given up asking where I know them from !''

made me smile - I always talk to strangers, or smile- not just to compliment, but to reassure or include, be it a mum struggling with a toddler, or someone who doesn't quite seem to fit for whatever reason, someone very old, etc... and my daugthers have also given up on asking why and how. Makes the world such a better place <3

inishowen Tue 21-Jan-20 11:46:35

My husband compliments people all the time. Mostly ladies but I dont mind. If the check out lady at Tesco feels flattered I'm happy for them.

TLVgran48 Tue 21-Jan-20 11:50:20

Lovely stories here. I've complimented mums talking to their kids in a buggy - talking, and not engrossed in their phones. Did it with some trepidation, but all of them seemed chuffed.

Theoddbird Tue 21-Jan-20 11:54:29

I have complemented people on the behaviour of their children. I do smile at strangers all the time...smiles get passed on.

Namsnanny Tue 21-Jan-20 12:34:06

What a lovely lot you are!
I thought we were supposed to be a standoffish lot in the uk?

Grandmacong Tue 21-Jan-20 12:38:12

I always seem to attract conversations from others. Doesn’t matter where I go, others, mainly elderly folk (I’m nearly 70!) often ask if they can join me in a coffee shop (when there are other vacant tables) and within 10 minutes I have their life history! I really don’t mind and often wonder if I’m the only person they’ve spoken to all week! I wholeheartedly agree with those who’ve said ‘a smile costs nothing’ and usually is returned. Let’s all try to make someone happy every day!

Keeper1 Tue 21-Jan-20 12:39:24

I remember also remember the red head post.

We both speak to strangers about all sorts of things and to compliment where appropriate. A stranger is a friend you haven’t met.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 21-Jan-20 12:39:58

I am not the sort who will respond to strangers comments should they be on the personal side ie lovely smile /like your hairstyle etc or will I make them.
When in a long supermarket checkout queue it can be tedious and I will on occasions make comments on a typical Brit subject the weather, if it happens to be raining other than that I find the majority want to get to the till in silence.

gulligranny Tue 21-Jan-20 13:27:45

I like to give compliments, make a bit of a joke etc., all helps to oil the wheels of modern society and I find others are usually happy to respond. My best - and funniest - was at a Space Spectacular concert in the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago; there were two quite young children in the row behind and at the end of the concert I complimented the parents on the excellent behaviour of their children. The little girl - probably about 6/7 - asked her daddy what I'd said and he told her "the lady said how well behaved you are". She smiled at me and said "And you were very well behaved too"! My husband said to her "Of course, she's not always this well behaved" and we all ended up laughing, which was a lovely thing to share with complete strangers.

PernillaVanilla Tue 21-Jan-20 13:37:27

I sometimes compliment strangers. I was in Anthropologie in Bath just before Christmas and a lady who looked a bit lacking in confidence was having a nervous twirl in the mirror outside the fitting rooms. The dress suited her very well, so I told her how lovely she looked in it and she beamed. I remember my own happiness when in a restaurant someone made the comment that is was good to see boys eating proper food as mine tucked into a seafood platter with all the whelks, clams etc. etc. on it.