Gransnet forums

Chat

What have you discovered in friends’, acquaintances’ homes?

(56 Posts)
NanKate Wed 22-Jan-20 15:49:19

This was the topic on late night radio this week.

Some very funny, quirky and unusual items were found, such as the front of an old Mini Cooper behind a sofa ? in one Listener’s home.

My late Mum, who could be easily spooked, visited her sister-in-law’s home. On popping upstairs to the loo she noticed some dark brown hairy objects hanging from the ceiling of one of the bedrooms.

On enquiring what they were my Aunt said they were shrunken heads brought back from Borneo by her son. My mother almost fainted and said she was never going up there again. ?

grannyactivist Thu 23-Jan-20 20:14:33

Oh the tales I could tell. grin

One (very large) house I visited had a room that was permanently decorated for Christmas, along with a full sized Santa figure that sang and talked from his rocking chair in the corner.

Another house had decorative manhole and grid covers adorning the walls and the owners explained they were so heavy he occasionally worried the walls might collapse! shock And, no, he is not alone.

Marmight Thu 23-Jan-20 20:44:02

My grandparents had a stuffed alligator on the wall half way up the stairs. The only loo was upstairs and it frightened the ‘bejesus’ out of me. It was like the Mona Lisa and followed you all the way up the stairs. The stuff of nightmares ?.
DD’s brother-in-law & his wife have a full sized, rather moth eaten stuffed lion in the middle of their sitting room. confused (they don’t have any children ......)

Marmight Thu 23-Jan-20 20:54:24

.....and, some few years ago the cottage opposite our house was put up for sale after the elderly owner died. In the middle of the large sitting room was a plumbed-in WC standing completely alone. Weird!

NanKate Sat 25-Jan-20 10:51:44

My parents went to Italy many years ago to visit my sister. They were invited to a friend’s house for a drink and on the coffee table was a very old album of the couple’s wedding. Mum had a look through and on every photo had drawn on them in biro moustaches, beards hats etc. Mum didn’t dare laugh ?

DoraMarr Sat 25-Jan-20 11:17:55

My mother has a child’s toy-a shark litter picker, bought from The Sea Life Centre. She keeps it by the front door, in case she has an intruder: she’s planning to grab his testicles with it, so that he will back off. We’re trying to persuade her to get a chain on the door instead.