Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever had a day .......

(87 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 26-Jan-20 21:02:08

Ever had a day where you have not done much, eaten all the wrong things and generally felt disconbobulated!!!!! I feel like i have wasted the whole day today and feel really guilty about it hmm

Kartush Mon 27-Jan-20 11:09:50

My lazy days tend to coincide with the days my husband is not working. He doesn’t sleep well at night so on his home days he likes to chill, watch movies and sleep and I totally think it is my wifely duty to keep him company

Allsaints55 Mon 27-Jan-20 11:10:03

? I love these Days . Best thing in the world .... On the sofa ,watching lots of catch up tv with chocolate hopefully alone .
Why do we feel guilty. I have had plenty of tiring busy days bringing up 3 children , working , cleaning , divorces etc etc for many years . I now Wallow in the peace ?? xxx

Coppernob Mon 27-Jan-20 11:30:12

@Sarah65 I must have missed the bit where Vera ate toast! I’ve had a sickness bug so have done nothing for the past two days. Not doing much today either. Getting a bit bored now ...

craftycarol Mon 27-Jan-20 11:38:44

Sounds like my perfect day! Apart from shopping on Saturday morning we spent most of the weekend watching football and bowls on the TV! I'm not a normal woman, I love football and hate shopping?

Margs Mon 27-Jan-20 11:38:47

Yes, for some reason I find Sundays are nearly always like that for me. Very dis-jointed days that are neither one thing nor the other.......very "out of sorts."

So I usually scoff loads of high refined sugary trash (biccies, endless biccies!) then resolve to be very virtuous the next day.

Ha!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 27-Jan-20 11:39:43

This is a typical me in the winter.
Once the clocks are changed that's it. Doesn't seem to get light at all on some days so on those days unless I have to go out shops /appointments just slob around making endless cups of tea/coffee tv on or catching up on books stored in my tablet.

Rosina Mon 27-Jan-20 11:43:13

We all have these! Sometimes I get up full of good intention, and end up doing just what you have done. I have decided that 'Listen to your body' is a good mantra, and if my body wants a pot of tea, the newspaper, the sofa and the company of my dear old dog for the afternoon then - why not? It has ceased to be a guilty pleasure and I revel in it. I've earned these little private joys after a lifetime of hard work !

LoisH Mon 27-Jan-20 11:49:11

….I think the trick is NOT to feel like it's been a waste of a day! It's winter still and on grey days, sometimes it's good to just vegetate!!

GrammaH Mon 27-Jan-20 11:49:12

I'm doing it today. After a busy family weekend I feel really tired so I've been in my PJs in front of the log burner since hauling myself out of bed at 9. I'm catching up on tv on the ipad & reading , no doubt I'll have a snooze after lunch. Ideal way to spend a chilly, wet Monday !

shysal Mon 27-Jan-20 11:54:36

BB and buffy, I am also trying to eat low carb, which I usually find easy, but over the weekend I single-handedly ate a whole cheese and Marmite loaf, toasted with butter, plus a pack of 12 macarons, and that was between meals! I did check my blood glucose before eating it all, and it was mid-range of normal so allowed myself the treats.
I think the lack of daylight at this time of year makes me feel lazy on days when it is too wet to garden. I never used to watch TV during the day, but yesterday watched my Downton Abbey the Movie DVD which I had pre-ordered and arrived in the morning.

Kalu Mon 27-Jan-20 12:00:26

Oh it’s so nice to finally do whatever I feel like doing.

My days of constantly on the go are now days of decadent watching a good back to back tv series, reading, in a nutshell, ‘doing my own thing now’ ? and loving it. Anything that needs doing will be seen to when I decide?

Oh, and adding to my to do list always makes me feel very productive?

Jane10. Any feelings of guilt are just ridiculous intruders trying to spoil your day....best ignored?

Witzend Mon 27-Jan-20 12:10:36

Goodness, Aepgirl, a weekend shop PLUS a pile of ironing would most definitely be a non-slob day for me! You are evidently a novice in the serious business of slobbing!

Allsaints55 Mon 27-Jan-20 12:13:32

Well said Kalu ! X

BusterTank Mon 27-Jan-20 12:17:04

Most Sunday's , me and my daughter call it out out Sunday .

Madmaggie Mon 27-Jan-20 12:17:12

We should form a club wink we're not being lazy, we're just in power down mode, natures way of saving the batteries smile

Samiejb Mon 27-Jan-20 12:23:55

Thank goodness I'm not the only one - most of my days are like that. Sometimes I find myself motivated and then realise it is because the sun is shining. Strange

moggie57 Mon 27-Jan-20 12:29:01

who cares .its nice to have a day off .and do as you please. its not wasted its re-energising your batteries.

Kalu Mon 27-Jan-20 12:32:35

Allsaints ??. Enjoy your day

Phloembundle Mon 27-Jan-20 12:34:05

Ha yes. I'm with Jimjam1 on this.

Roweenaa Mon 27-Jan-20 12:36:58

Please don't feel guilty.We are always hardest on ourselves. I bet you have other days when you are unexpectedly full of beans and doing multiple jobs all at once and flying about. Those days we feel smug and happy. I am sure it balances out.

Lilyflower Mon 27-Jan-20 12:37:10

Who assigns a meaning to one activity and not another?

Why is a session at the gym admirable but Hoovering the house drudgery? You would probably use the same calories for each and the latter activity is also useful as well as energetic. It is not helpful to allow the assumed judgement of others make you unhappy.

You probably needed a day treading water. This part of January, where it is still dark, cold and wet and there is no Christmas to look forward to, drains physical and mental energy. A day doing very little of note is a luxury. It might be different and a sign of something untoward like depression if one nothingy day follows another.

If it makes you feel better, OP, plan a more focussed and active day. I note that the shops are selling daffodils at a pound a bunch. Buy yourself a bunch and these sparks of yellow will cheer you and make you look forward to spring.

I did on Friday and my bunch of spring has cheered my heart and helped remind me my dull, isolated days will be lightened by the oncoming season.

Nonogran Mon 27-Jan-20 12:49:35

I find that if I do something creative, just one small thing, I feel a sense of achievement and happiness! Chocolate cake anyone? Fresh from the oven. Clear out a cupboard? Bag up for charity. Write a letter to a dear old aunty? Pleasure for her. Works for me and I retire to bed feeling better for it. Roll on spring!

Chris0 Mon 27-Jan-20 12:52:27

I have those days too but am begining to not feel too guilty about it. Sometimes it's good to do nothing so spoil yourself, put your feet up and relax

Barmeyoldbat Mon 27-Jan-20 13:01:05

Having one today and don't care, will start again tomorrow

Chardy Mon 27-Jan-20 13:11:14

We Gransnetters must lose the guilt. Of course we aspire to be busy, but not all the time