Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(55 Posts)
12Michael Mon 27-Jan-20 06:12:38

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and throwing down with rain here in Brackley this morning.
Have a quiet day bit of a tidy up etc.
Nothing else planned.
Mick

SparklyGrandma Mon 27-Jan-20 08:18:45

Good morning from drizzly Wales, we had huge hailstones in the middle of the night. The banging woke me up.

Waiting for a Waitrose delivery, why oh why did I order it so early?

Have a peaceful day everyone ??

Marydoll Mon 27-Jan-20 08:25:28

Good morning all from a chilly Glasgow. I was woken during the night by the hailstones, when I had a look out, everything was white. We had another shower of them at 6am, which then froze.

I'm having a day in today, after foolishly deciding to go out after all yesterday.
I decided to have a wander round Sainsbury's for a look (sans DH) at their sale. I spent so long wandering, I exhausted myself, then had a severe angina attack. It gave me a bit of a fright, as I was on my own and I haven't had such a severe one in ages. They then continued for the rest of the day. sad
I think it's a warning not to shop! ?grin and not buy anything else on Ebay again.

The person I bought something from insisted I hadn't paid, I spent the whole day trying to find out what had happened, as I felt I was being accused of lying and trying to cheat her.
It turned out, the seller had used a defunct email address for PayPal, and had no access to the payment! I did get an apology in the end.

I may make hot cross buns for DH, they are his favourite, there is something about baking I find very calming and therapeutic.

Scentia, I hope all goes well today for you, well done to your optician for acting so swiftly.
NanKate, thanks for keeping us up to date about Oldgagin, I wondered how she was faring.
To all those struggling on here, especially my pals in the sick bay, you know you have an army of grans behind you, offering their support. No-one on this thread should ever feel alone. flowers
Happy Monday, all!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 27-Jan-20 08:25:35

Good morning Mick and all x

It’s grey here in SE Essex:

Off to the gym this morning then some pottering around the house.

Good luck scentia with your hospital appointment.

Happy Birthday Harris27 ??

Marydoll Mon 27-Jan-20 08:27:42

*Happy birthday Harris! 6️⃣0️⃣?

Alygran Mon 27-Jan-20 08:27:52

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Rain overnight has given way to clear skies.
Happy birthday Harris and good luck at the hospital Scentia.
Nothing much planned today so may get out for a walk.
Hope Monday is kind to everyone.

Gingster Mon 27-Jan-20 08:28:57

Weve Come up to the Suffolk coast for a peaceful ( hopefully) week. The dog always sleeps well here as it’s so quiet, so I’ve had a lie in. Bliss! The weather is dry and the sun just peeped its head out for a few seconds. The sea is fairly calm and no wind at the moment. We will go for a longish walk with said pooch, and have a restful day by the fire. Reading and watching an Agatha Christie. Good luck everyone with appointments . Beech it, let us know what you think of The Favourite and also dragonfly, what you think of Little Women. I’ve heard mixed reviews. Wishing you all a good day.

Gingster Mon 27-Jan-20 08:30:07

Sorry - I meant beechnut

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jan-20 08:37:24

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s dry. I can see the outline of the Pennines and the sky is pale blue with an apricot streak in the east.

No plans today. I’m in bed with a cuppa and will read the papers on line.

It’s 75y today since Auschwitz was liberated. I shall watch last nights programme on catch up this afternoon. Not something we want to watch but ought to.

Good luck with your eye appointment at the hospital Scentia.

Hope all who have been poorly are feeling a little bit better today and that Monday is good to us all whether we have any plans or, like me, none. x

GrannySomerset Mon 27-Jan-20 08:42:58

Fine and bright after a very wet day yesterday. Waiting to hear from the garage about what my new tyres will cost and whether there is any other damage. Oh dear!

Delivery of new DVD player but no other plans. Must finish book for U3A book group on Thursday so today is obviously the day to get on with it.

Hope our many poorly contributors have a better day and that those waiting results of various kinds get good news.

Greyduster Mon 27-Jan-20 08:45:05

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Dry today in South Yorkshire and the sun is showing through, which is good as our young neighbours are embarking on a big garden revamp today requiring a large skip. Their car will be in our drive for the duration so that they won’t have to carry their baby far. Bit of a squeeze but the least we can do. School run later. Home made soup and salad for supper. Happy 60th birthday, Harris, and good luck at the hospital Scentia! Have a good day folks.

Anniebach Mon 27-Jan-20 08:53:01

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jan-20 08:53:28

Sorry Harris meant to say Happy Birthday! Glad you had a lovely time and lucky you off to stay overnight in an hotel to celebrate with your sister. Way to go!
???

Harris27 Mon 27-Jan-20 08:58:08

Thank you all for my good wishes. It’s lovely to know I have friends on here and you always give such good honest advice. I’m a happy gransnetter.

Mapleleaf Mon 27-Jan-20 09:21:56

Good morning everyone,

Just having my breakfast now as I had to fast before giving yet more blood this morning!

It's a much better morning than yesterday - everything looks so much nicer when the sun is out.

Happy birthday Harris27. Enjoy your special birthday treat from your family. ???

Sorry to read of your experience with the lady selling to you on eBay. It must have been very stressful and probably had a part to play in your angina attack, Marydoll. I should think she did apologise! Take it easy today.

Hope those of you unwell or with worries feel a bit better today. ?

conor Mon 27-Jan-20 09:45:34

Good morning from dry Essex. Think I can see the sky clearing! A busy weekend with no cooking involved. Lunch in London with my cousin on Saturday. It was a long lunch (around 5 hours!) with lots of family gossip to catch up with and yesterday had a Red Letter Day experience to cash in, so chose a Cuban restaurant in Camden(very trendy!!) Met my daughter in London and the 2 course meal with cocktail was delicious. We ended the afternoon dancing with the Cuban dance instructor under the gazebo with twinkly lights! Perfect on a wet January evening! Xxxx?

Grammaretto Mon 27-Jan-20 09:49:01

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Very cold but no snow.
Off to put DS&DBiL on the train. It has been great having them to stay. We did a lot of talking mostly going down memory lane.
Today I need to catch up on mail and pay bills the same thing
Sorry you had angina in Sainsburys Marydoll and afterwards.
We went for a bracing walk with our walking poles but DS fell in the mud!
Good luck at the hospital scentia
I wouldn't want DD to see what I post on here Beechnut I daresay she lets rip on mumsnet.

Happy Birthday Harris. Have a wonderful day.

gmarie Mon 27-Jan-20 09:55:08

Good night from the US. It's cold and wet here in California but I'm curled up in bed with my dog and cats, warm and toasty. Day of lousy news has left me feeling wide awake and a bit disheartened but maybe reading a few posts here and watching an upbeat YouTube video or two will do the trick.

Hope you all have a great day. smile

vena11 Mon 27-Jan-20 09:58:29

Happy Birthday Harris Marydoll take is easy today .

moggie Mon 27-Jan-20 10:17:43

Good morning Mick & all from dry, bright Nottingham
Catch up on a few chores today.
Happy Birthday Harris27
Hope your hospital appointment goes well scentia
Hope all not well or struggling have a better day.
Have a good day everyone.

Auntieflo Mon 27-Jan-20 10:21:17

Good morning Michael, Annie, and all. We've woken to bright sunshine here, although it must have rained earlier, as there are raindrops on the windows.
I have a Mary Berry ' Irish Tea Bread' baking at the moment. Last night I prepared all the ingredients, so just had to toast the nuts, mix everything together, and pop it in the oven this morning. It is one of my favourites.
Marydoll, a question for you. I want to make a Coffee, Walnut cake, to take to friends on Thursday. Would it stay fresh if I make it today, or should I wait until Wednesday?
Loads of laundry waiting to go upstairs, so will get DH to carry it up.
We hasn't planned to do anything special today, but as it is so nice, at the moment, we may decide to go out.
Hoping that the Gillybobs have had a reasonably comfortable night.
Thinking of all those who are under the weather, and sending get better wishes.
Happy Birthday Harris27.
Glad you got your Ebay problems sorted Marydoll. I have a few things that I am tempted to try to sell on EBay, but haven't yet plucked up the courage.
Have a good day one and all.

Kalu Mon 27-Jan-20 10:24:58

Good morning from Glasgow. No snow but sleet is forecast and it feels a good bit chillier. The only thing I dread in winter is icy roads. The sky has just darkened and heavy hail is battering down. Decision made....an at home day!

Hope your day goes well oldgaijin

A very happy 60th birthday Harris ??

Hope you have recovered from yesterday Marydoll What a frightening experience, especially being on your own.

Best wishes to all and hoping you have a good day.

lavenderzen Mon 27-Jan-20 10:38:45

Good morning all from a chilly, overcast Derbyshire.
Have a lovely day Harris.
Hope everyone has a good day, with best wishes to all feeling poorly and to those who have worries

NemosMum Mon 27-Jan-20 11:01:46

Morning Mick, Morning All! Happy Birthday Harris27 and take it easy Marydoll! It's a bright cold sunny morning in Newcastle upon Tyne. Just doing some jobs today, with a meeting later this afternoon. The snowdrops and crocuses are just beginning to show their buds in my little front garden. We have an hour's more daylight now than we had at the Winter Solstice, and I'm very happy about that!

Marydoll Mon 27-Jan-20 11:15:38

Auntieflo, I have never baked a cooffe and walnut cake, as I really don't like coffee!
However, I have done a bit of research on your behalf, so here is the advice:

Freshly baked coffee cake will keep well for about 1 week in the fridge when properly stored; when refrigerating, cover with foil or plastic wrap to prevent cake from drying out.

Good luck!

I have just discovered puff pastry in the fridge which is about to go out of day, I also have a jar of mincemeat. I may make mince pies, as I can't abide waste!!!!

Kalu, I'm feeling a wee bit better, I think the drop in temp has something to do with it, so I'm staying in.

Marydoll Mon 27-Jan-20 11:20:24

or a coffee cake! grin