Gransnet forums

Chat

Mother that keeps on giving

(79 Posts)
Dec46 Tue 28-Jan-20 16:35:02

When my mum was alive she always gave me lovely presents on my Birthday and Christmas time so since she died,nearly 10 years ago, I have bought myself a special present on those days and pretend it's from her.
This Christmas she gave me a lovely heated fur throw and today I'm snuggled up on the sofa with it wrapped around me and it reminds me of her.
Do you have any special things you do to remind you of past loved ones?

BabyLayla Wed 29-Jan-20 09:53:38

Oh that’s so lovely ( made me cry)

JulieMM Wed 29-Jan-20 09:59:29

When my in-laws died and their house cleared the one thing that reminds me of them was a small vase with marigolds on it that was on the hall table - the first thing I saw whenever I went to visit. So I have that in my kitchen now and fill it with the marigolds from my own father’s garden (my dad died recently). A reminder of them I treasure.

marpau Wed 29-Jan-20 10:00:23

Every Christmas we went to midnight made and when we came home dad would make us a fried egg in a roll. My son now makes me this every Christmas morning.

marpau Wed 29-Jan-20 10:01:02

Mass not made

Macgran43 Wed 29-Jan-20 10:02:21

I have my mum’s autograph book from 1927 when she sailed to take up work in Australia. Fellow passengers on the ship wrote little poems or messages for her.She returned three years later.I also have hand painted china and a green vase which like a lot of gransnetters I fill with daffodils from January until April.

glammanana Wed 29-Jan-20 10:03:57

I have the gold trimmed horseshoe from my grandmothers wedding cake,it was used at my mothers wedding/mine and my daughters & sons weddings it will be passed down to my grandchildren as and when the occasions arrive.
I have just received back from Funeral Directors my Johns wedding ring and signet ring after his death recently I will wear them on my right hand so we will always be together.

PernillaVanilla Wed 29-Jan-20 10:06:30

Less than a month after my mother had died my house was burgled and her engagement ring and other bits of jewellery were taken. It was a very pretty ring and I knew the story about how my parents had got engaged on holiday and how she had chosen that ring. I was very sad to begin with about this but when the insurance money came through I chose some new items that reflected her tastes - a ring with a lovely blue topaz and a pendant with her initial and birthstone on the chain, and much to my surprise these work every bit as well in helping me feel close to her. As my brother kept my fathers gold watch with a black face I'm going to find a similar one so that I have something that makes me think of him too.

Aepgirl Wed 29-Jan-20 10:13:07

When my darling sister died, I had to clear her house. I kept one or two things that I knew she loved - a picture, and a clock - but the one thing I cherish most is a bone china mug that she drank her coffee from. Every time I use it, it’s as if we were together.

GreenGran78 Wed 29-Jan-20 10:13:19

My mum loved anemones. So that she could enjoy them all year round I bought her a bunch of artificial ones.
She has been gone for many years, but the flowers still sit on my bedside table. They are somewhat faded, but I could never throw them out. Every time I look at them I am reminded of her.

pamdixon Wed 29-Jan-20 10:15:54

I wear my mother's wedding ring every day. My parents married in 1941 and the ring is a very thin silver band. I wear it below my wedding ring. And I have lots of her hand written recipes too. I wonder what my children will treasure of my things........

GardenerGran Wed 29-Jan-20 10:31:38

I kept the last birthday and Christmas cards Mum gave me and always get them out on those occasions though I think of her always. And miss her always,

Guineagirl Wed 29-Jan-20 10:59:34

Dec46 how lovely. Good excuse also to treat yourself, I like that. We never get over losing our Mams, we just adapt I suppose. Mine made a fuss of birthdays too. I light a candle on her birthday and I leave it burn all day and say Hiya Mam when I light it, nobody knows I do this only here x

Juicylucy Wed 29-Jan-20 11:02:43

My granddaughter sang at the O2 last week with Young Voices I took and used my late dear dads binoculars so I could see her close up, all the family used them it was special for me.

Hm999 Wed 29-Jan-20 11:03:38

I have a framed portrait of my gran with her newborn (my mum). I rescued it from mum's garage - she was going to throw it out. Always on my wall in every house I've lived in.

nipsmum Wed 29-Jan-20 11:04:34

I have a small China sugar and cream set that my mum used to use when she had visitors in the after noon for tea. I still use it of I'm setting a tea tray for my friends.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 29-Jan-20 11:10:16

I was close to my Dad and one year he bought me a Solanum plant for my birthday so I quite often buy myself one of those at around that time of year (this year's is still going strong). I wear his watch every day, and amongst lots of household things from Mum and Dad's which are in daily use, I also treasure a vase of Mum's which I try to keep 'occupied ' with flowers most of the year. I'm therefore lucky to be surrounded by lovely memories of them both every day.

Dee1012 Wed 29-Jan-20 11:18:34

Just after my Mum died I found a letter that she'd written to me, written after she knew the end was coming.
I'd nursed her through that last illness and one of my great comforts was that nothing was left unsaid...she knew how loved she was and in that time she shared so much with me.
The letter summed it all up really.
I used to tell her that she made my heart smile and even after she left, she still did.

Ashcombe Wed 29-Jan-20 11:30:07

I have various items that belonged to my Mum, (ornaments, etc) but the one I treasure most is a Christmas cactus. Under her care, it bloomed beautifully but less well for me, sadly.

Saggi Wed 29-Jan-20 11:35:40

I have a china mug of my mums that she always preferred to all others. When she died and we were clearing out her flat ... I found it..wrapped in tissue paper with my name on it. There was a similar wrapped item for my sister. Inside mine was her mug ... inside my sisters was a plate that matched the mug. Still got it ....as does my sister. We’ve promised each other to reciprocate when the first one of us goes. The money she left was nothing compared to my mug!

Lizzle10 Wed 29-Jan-20 11:55:19

I have an old dresser which is filled with my mums stuff and things my children made her when they were little . Mum had a China tea set that was in the original box never used . She was always saving things for best bless her . That takes pride of place and every time I walk in the room it just makes me smile

Iwastoldtheredbecake Wed 29-Jan-20 11:59:20

Notspaghetti no, he wasn’t a cobbler at least not by trade, but he had so many children and not much money so he repaired all of their shoes, I expect he was quite proficient!

Iwastoldtheredbecake Wed 29-Jan-20 12:01:34

jaq10 not many! Although each piece is shoe shaped

I was watching some teenagers recently on YouTube trying to use the old dial up telephone, very funny, but maybe I shouldn’t laugh.......

RomyP Wed 29-Jan-20 12:02:55

Dec46, I've done exactly same thing since my Mum died, Dad died long time before she did. I don't spend a lot but always get something I'll enjoy using or wearing, it's a nice way of keeping the memories alive.

Sleepygran Wed 29-Jan-20 12:04:34

I have lots of bits and bobs that were my mums.She used to buy me bits of a dinner service for best for many of my birthdays and Xmas.This is in a display cabinet along with the most treasured photo of her and dad on the last holiday they went on when she was still well.
This is such a treasure,and even though she been gone many years I still love it.

moggie57 Wed 29-Jan-20 12:30:39

I have the teddybear that i gave her on her last mothers day.before she died of ovarian cancer.20 years ago.got lots of her things.blue cardigan is lovely.hadnt worn it for ages..so washed it .and its lovely and soft now.wear it in bed whilst i am reading my book.