Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that weren't funny at the time, but you can laugh about now?

(64 Posts)
OldJoints Tue 28-Jan-20 20:10:44

I thought I made a little too depressing post yesterday. So perhaps this time we can make each other laugh with some funny stories from the past.

Maybe a time you embarrassed yourself or perhaps a bad decision you made. Whatever it is you probably didn't find it funny at the time. But looking back on it now you can laugh about it. I'll start it off with one of mine.

I was 6 months pregnant with first born. Went out shopping with some friends. Stopped off at a cafe for afternoon tea. At the time I wasn't really thinking about needing the toilet. We continued our day and took a stroll in the park. Stopped to get some ice creams. It was at this point when I realized I really needed to go. There was no toilets about and we were quite far from the car. I knew I wouldn't make it, so I had to tell my friends. We quickly found a quieter spot and I had no choice but to go behind a tree blush. My friends covered me but just as I was finishing a very rude nosy man spotted us and started calling me disgusting and I should be ashamed of myself. I told him I was pregnant (even though it was obvious). He didn't seem to care, continued throwing insults at us even threaten to call the police lol. When he'd gone my friends started laughing and I did to, but on the inside I was dying of embarrassment.

Now I look back on it I find it funny to. However he had to be one of the rudest men I've ever met. Couldn't even give a lady some privacy. I know I should of been a bit more aware of how much I drank. But when you're out enjoying yourself you sometimes forget.

Look forward to hearing some of yours. Hope you're having a good evening. OJ.

inishowen Thu 30-Jan-20 11:23:15

My mum told me that when she was a young mother she was pushing me in my big black pram when her silk knickers slid down to her ankles. She said she quickly stepped out of them and hid them under my blanket. She carried on doing her shopping wearing no drawers!

Nannytopsy Thu 30-Jan-20 11:26:08

Having lost some weight, my husband often finds his trousers fall down, especially when carrying something in both hands. He was standing on steps putting up a new light fitting, watched by my mum. Of course, there was a trouser incident and he couplet go of the light. Mum calmly pulled his trousers up for him! ?

Nannytopsy Thu 30-Jan-20 11:26:38

Couldn’t

Nannytopsy Thu 30-Jan-20 11:27:08

Grr. Couldn’t let go !

granbabies123 Thu 30-Jan-20 11:32:23

Oh my word I haven't laughed like this in ages. Keep it going ladies we could write a book

Fernbergien Thu 30-Jan-20 11:55:37

On holiday in Italy went on boat trip. Stopped off at a seaside village. The crowd of us went round together and waited when I bought bikini which was measured by the lady cupping her hands round my boobs to measure them - much laughter. We then went on beach and I wore bikini without strap round neck them went into sea and stretched up to catch ball and the top slide down mush to all the young chaps delight. Oh to be young again. It was a nice bikini though.

Witzend Thu 30-Jan-20 12:36:29

Pernilla, your story reminded me of my mother’s hospital stay when she was over 90 and was admitted with a broken hip - at the time she also had pretty bad dementia.

Although reasonably compliant with staff, she was constantly telling the nurses that she was going to tell her father of them, and he’d have them all put in prison!

The staff were very good, though, and when my sister was there one of them replied, ‘Well, I’ve spoken to your father, and he says you’ve got to eat your lunch!’

Kimrus Thu 30-Jan-20 12:47:08

I can’t stop laughing. Certainly is best medicine after a bad day. Thankyou.

Pearlsaminger Thu 30-Jan-20 12:47:09

Coming out of the Tesco garage one day, an elderly gent had parked right outside the door, as he clearly had mobility issues. He was walking with two canes, and as he took two steps inside the store, his trousers fell down to his ankles.

His elderly wife sitting in the car saw, and was doubled over in fits of laughter. He said to me ‘could you help please? I can’t bend down as I have a bad back.’

Guess who had to crouch down to pull up his strides for him blush

His wife was in absolute hysterics and as I passed she said ‘Good job I’m not the jealous type with you eyeing up my hubby’s under-crackers!’ grin

That set me off laughing too, but boy was I red faced.

Saw them a couple of weeks later, again parked right outside the door. He asked if I would mind getting him a few bits as the last time he was there his trousers fell down.

I said ‘Yes - I know! I was the one who pulled them up for you! Set his wife off giggling again and asking if I wanted another look... I politely declined.

Big grey baggy pants wasn’t ever on my ‘to see’ list grin

sue01 Thu 30-Jan-20 13:28:41

My husband had been out on a Boys Night Out with a group of friends in a mini-bus.

They'd had way too much to drink, and unfortunately got stuck in traffic on the way back to Northampton.

When the minibus arrived in the deserted car park, all the chaps rushed out, and scampered straight over to the fence where they stood side by side in line... watering the flowers !

At that point I put my headlights on full beam... and they all swung round to face me.

Oh if only I'd had a camera !!

Haven't laughed so much for ages !!

Disneyfan Thu 30-Jan-20 13:28:42

Thank you so much for this thread. I've laughed so much. My recent embarrassing moment (not as funny as some of you) was on the weekend. We'd gone to my nephews indoor wall climbing party. Us adults were in the cafe above. As I leant over the edge to catch a glimpse of him a man appeared having climbed up the wall and I all but kissed the top of his head. In my shock I said "there's an easier way to get to the cafe you know" The shame. blush

Horatia Thu 30-Jan-20 13:35:58

Standing in the long bank queue another customer's dog started worrying and pulling at my trousers leg. Lo and behold, had it not found a spare pair of tights in my trousers and started tugging away at them. I tried to pull them away quickly but they just kept coming and coming, stretching here, there and everywhere with the dog loving the battle. What a nightmare. Don't ask me what they were doing in my trousers in the first place.

Phloembundle Thu 30-Jan-20 13:50:34

On holiday in Warsaw many years ago, my sister and I were walking back to our hotel after a boozy lunch. We both got caught short, desperate for a wee. As we walked over a bridge, we peered over the side to see a river bank close to a very wide river. There was no-one about, so we hopped over the bridge onto the bank and squatted side by side to pee, feeling pleased that the river bank sloped downwards to prevent us from getting our feet wet. But in mid flow, a boat very like the ones used in the Oxford and Cambridge races came flying along with 8 men rowing furiously. There was nothing we could do but stay put as they all turned their gaze to watch. Fortunately they were going so fast that we were hopefully a blur.

chrissyh Thu 30-Jan-20 14:07:09

My dear MiL's funeral was the morning after a big storm and the crematorium and surrounding area did not have any electricity. They had brought in a small generator to use to work the CD player but, unfortunately, the way the coffin moved back and the curtains moved round were also powered by electricity. We didn't think about this until a sound appeared at the door and in came MiL's coffin pushed on a very squeaky trolley. They also had trouble getting the CD player to work. After the service, they pushed Mil, still squeaking out of the side door. Knowing dear MiL who was an accident waiting to happen we all had a chuckle as I know she would have done too.

TLWOOLY1 Thu 30-Jan-20 14:08:00

When my mum passed away three years ago, the funeral director came to our house to discuss the funeral arrangements. During the course of the conversation, my two African grey parrots became very vocal, whistling and shouting all sorts of things, as per usual. The funeral director was fascinated by their talents and kept getting distracted by them. All of a sudden, his phone started ringing and as they always do when they hear a phone ringing, the parrots started saying “hello, hello!” The funeral director, for some reason, was convinced the parrots were saying hello in his voice and he started laughing hysterically. With tears rolling down his face and laughter still in his voice, he answered the call giving the name of service and his name, he listened to what the caller said, then he said “I’m so sorry for laughing, please excuse me, I’m with two birds....” at which point the caller put the phone down on him! He was shaking with laughter when he realised what he’d said and it took a good few minutes for him to collect himself enough before he could call her back and explain that he was talking about birds of the feathered variety! It was a moment of pure gold in a cloud of grief and I know my mum would have cried until she laughed, too.

That’s not quite the end of the story, though. A few weeks later, I was listening to my local radio show and for some reason, the funeral director was a guest on the show. To my absolute amazement, he told the entire story on the radio, leaving out our names, of course! He was hysterical with laughter again, as were the two radio presenters. My mum would have loved the fact that she’d made the local radio station and we were pretty chuffed, too!

3nanny6 Thu 30-Jan-20 14:08:18

I was out walking the dog one afternoon and she crossed in front of me
I said to her "You silly sausage you nearly had me a---e over t-t" (sorry for the bit of bad language.)

A man was passing by at the time and he asked me if I had said something to him I smiled and said no I was talking to the dog. He asked me did I do that often I told him yes all the time he gave me a funny look and kept on walking.

Kartush Thu 30-Jan-20 14:42:30

when my mother died, my eldest daughter and I went to the undertaker to make the arrangements for her funeral,coffin etc. My youngest daughter could not come as she had to run the café they both own. So we filled in the paperwork and then went to look at coffins. in a room full of the things there we were skyping on a phone to my youngest while she helped pick out a coffin..... which she decided had to be environmentally friendly. To this day I will never forget the look on the poor funeral directors face as he tried so hard not to laugh.

timetogo2016 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:22:15

Not so much not funny at the time because mt DH and I still laugh about this to this day.
True story Gransnet.
My DH and I were on our own for the weekend and I just love the feeling of not having to wear bed clothes, so...
I needed the bathroom during the night so got out of bed walked down the side and across the bottom of the bed and into the toilet I went.
On my return my DH was laughing I asked why are you laughing and eventually he told me he didn`t feel me get out of bed but when I looked to the bottom of the bed I thought we were being burgled by a bearded midget.
I called him a few names but was also laughing.
So fast forward a couple of days I was in the shower and started giggling, when I walked back into the bedroom he asked me what`s so funny, I said just to inform you the bearded midgets had a shave.
To which we both went into fits of laughter.
The family couldn`t believe it they too found it funny and told us we are a pair of nutters.

Aepgirl Thu 30-Jan-20 17:20:37

My back garden backs onto a railway embankment and there is a magnificent oak tree on the other side of my fence. Just a 6’ chain link fence was necessary, and my garden gave the impression of being much longer. However, I was in my garden some years ago and heard a scuffling on the embankment. I then realised that there was a man relieving himself against the tree (there are no toilets at the station, and I suspect he thought he wouldn’t be seen). I don’t know who was most embarrassed - him or me, but not a word was spoken, and we both turned and walked away. I soon had a proper wooden fence put up!

OldJoints Thu 30-Jan-20 18:36:56

Wow everyone, wasn't expecting to blow up like this. I've had a good 30 mins reading all of these grin. Love that some of you have gone in to a lot of detail.

kissngate Thu 30-Jan-20 19:13:24

I used to get a lift to work but had to walk down a busy main road into town to pick my lift. As I had to leave early there were few pedestrians about. This particular morning a lot of cars were tooting and I got a few shouts and wolfwhistles. As I was much younger at the time I thought I must be looking particularly good that day. As I neared the end of the road having walked nearly a mile a cyclist pulled in front of me and said you need to know your skirt is tucked in your knickers.

Mouse Thu 30-Jan-20 20:02:01

I got a terrible fit of the giggles at the service for my mothers funeral. As you can imagine I got quite a few strange looks and glares from my sister. She hadn’t noticed that the order of service read - the coffin will leave the church followed by the bears!

Moth62 Thu 30-Jan-20 20:05:24

Fabulous stories, ladies. I’ve been in hysterics. I think I’ll keep this thread to cheer me up on blue days! My own experience was in a train toilet - the type with the sliding door. You’re ahead of me on this one, I’m sure... I was just in mid-flow when the door slid open in what seemed at the time like slow motion. In my shock, I stood straight up! Unfortunately, it was a crowded train and there was quite a crowd outside the toilet. I will never forget the look of sheer horror on one young woman’s face! The lady who had pressed the button to open the door quickly had the presence of mind to press Close, leaving me to finish as best I could and try to compose myself ready to face the world outside. I calmly washed my hands, then opened the door, stepped outside, said, “Well, that was embarrassing, wasn’t it?” and went back to my seat. I kept sniggering to myself the whole day. (I’ve since learnt that this is a very common accident - but it’s made me very wary of ALL toilet locks now!)

KathrynP Thu 30-Jan-20 20:26:06

When my mother passed away, my sister and I went to deliver the songs for her cremation to the undertakers. We had found Mum' s favourite Max Bygraves rendition of Ave Maria on a CD in her CD collection. As we were about to get out of the car my sister was overcome with emotion so I told her to get back in the car and while she composed herself I suggested listening to the CD. It was the first song on the CD and opened with lots of very loud whistling and shouting ..... we then realised it was a recording of a live concert and certainly not appropriate for the funeral. At 5pm we were legging it down the High Street, ran in to HMV and breathlessly asked for a copy of Ave Maria by anyone but checked it before we left. Aled Jones did well! We also found that she had chosen a hymn with the words " Give me oil in my lamp keep me burning, keep me burning till the end of day", this was to be played as the coffin disappeared in the Crematorium. I gave strict instructions to the organist NOT to play the last verse. My Mum had a great sense of humour and I sure she was smiling down on us. We'll never know if she did it on purpose.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 30-Jan-20 21:15:22

30-odd years ago and therefore before mobile phones or fancy door locks, I used to get a lift to work with a colleague, being picked up by her a couple of streets away from my house. One morning I was about to leave the house to meet up with my lift, only to find that my damned-fool husband had gone off to work, and dead-locked the front door, so I couldn't get out of the house (we had no back door). I was unable to contact my lift as by then she would have left home, and was just contemplating whether I could climb out of the window to escape, when luckily my lift-giver arrived at the house to see what had happened to me. I had to post my front door keys out of the letterbox to her, so that she could get me out. What a twerp I felt, especially when she told everyone at work. blush