Gransnet forums

Chat

Aren’t you hot?

(13 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 30-Jan-20 14:01:16

Yesterday I spent hours in a hospital clinic, observing the weird and wonderful people who came and went.
It was hot and there were no windows. I’d shed my coat as soon as I’d arrived but most others waiting kept coats, scarves and hats on. Most were not old and I thought of the school kids who walk to school without coats in freezing cold or pouring rain.
Is there a new breed of British who are oblivious to the temperature?

grannyqueenie Thu 30-Jan-20 14:41:21

Yes I think there maybe, I’m the same as you in a hospital environment. Then walking outdoors I often see folk so wrapped up it makes me sweat to look at them and I always hope I’m not going to experience the weather that they seem to be expecting!!

Namsnanny Thu 30-Jan-20 15:01:45

Me too. Always hot. Except of course when I'm cold! No inbetween for me.
I'm constantly removing cardi or fanning myself.
But I'm always amazed at how many people are to be seen wearing thick knitted bobble hats ( can't wear hats my head itches!) And large thick scarves when it's just a teenyweeny bit colder than normal.
I assumed it was just a fashion thing.
Hospitals are always horrendously hot.

BlueSky Thu 30-Jan-20 15:35:30

I think I'm average, not too hot or too cold. DH instead is always hot wears shorts till December only to wear them again in February! Doesn't own a jumper and only the lightest of coats, I keep telling him that if he was a woman of a certain age he would have to be on super strength HRT!

SirChenjin Thu 30-Jan-20 16:23:12

I’m usually cold - it takes a lot for me to feel too hot in the UK! I loathe the obsession with air con with cold air blasting out to make the temperature inside colder than it is outside.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Jan-20 16:38:28

I m much more on the cold side I don’t often suffer from heat at all really, I ve never sweated even in a hot climate I don’t sweat I don’t like the cold but I don’t think I overdress at all jumper, coat, sometimes a light cami underneath so mainly two layers three in very very cold weather but I don’t feel overheated if I m in shops with a coat on

I think people feel the cold more because they often work and live in hot centrally heated houses and workplaces and jump into warm cars to get between the two

Witzend Thu 30-Jan-20 16:56:19

My dh always had his personal central heating when younger - never even possessed a coat! He’s rather bit less so now.

One dd is the same, always hot and wanting to open a window when to me it’s just comfortable or on the chilly side. (Autocorrect just changed that to Hilly sod!)

janipat Thu 30-Jan-20 17:17:13

I'm like Namsnanny either hot or cold with nothing much in between. I think hospitals seem too hot to many of us as they're kept that bit warmer because in-patients dressed only in a thin gown are also moved around the hospital for tests, clinics etc and would feel colder in lower temperatures. I doubt the heating can be so selective as to have very different temperatures on wards, corridors, clinic waiting areas etc. Having said all that I too have sat in a waiting room wondering how some haven't yet passed out with heat exhaustion with all the clothes they have on. smile

sodapop Thu 30-Jan-20 17:23:10

I'm always hot, can't bear to be muffled up in heavy clothing. It surprises me too when people sit around in heated places with all their outdoor clothes on. I don't spend much on heating in the winter but more on keeping cool in the summer.

TwiceAsNice Thu 30-Jan-20 17:37:22

Couldn’t bear to wear a coat inside a building I am always carrying a coat on ships and never wear a hat and rarely a scarf.

Usually warm I’m sitting in my centrally heated flat in jeans and a T shirt. I did wear a cardigan and coat when I went shopping

TwiceAsNice Thu 30-Jan-20 17:37:46

In shops not on ships predictive text

Calendargirl Thu 30-Jan-20 17:50:16

I hate being in a car that’s too hot. Would rather travel in my coat with no heater on. Then you see others in just a tee shirt but heater on full blast. Phew!

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jan-20 18:13:25

I’m definitely a cold bod. I like heat! I’m probably the one you see muffled up outdoors!

I worked for over 30y in a hospital so it suited me just fine. The menopause didn’t cause any problems - no hot sweats for me - just bizarrely, the inside crooks of my elbows!

We spend quite a bit of time in Spain and I love the hot sun. You’ll never hear me say I’m too warm but I can’t bear being cold. I’d rather have too many layers on as I can always (rarely) peel one off.
?