Gransnet forums

Chat

1960’s make-up

(35 Posts)
NonnaW Fri 31-Jan-20 21:25:10

Hi ladies, can you help please? I’m going to a 60’s night soon. I’ve got a black & pink shift dress and a black wig to wear, together with a cap type hat, but I can’t remember what sort of eye makeup people wore. I remember false eyelashes, and the Twiggy ‘drawn on’ lower lashes but as I didn’t start buying my own clothes or wearing makeup until 1969 when I left school at 15 1/2 I’m not sure if my memory is wrong. Was white eyeshadow a thing? With black eyeliner? And pale pink lipstick? Obviously, it doesn’t really matter, but having started thinking about it, I’d be interested in any recollections from ladies who were having fun with makeup then. Thanks!

Jessity Fri 31-Jan-20 21:53:50

False eyelashes and/or lots of coats of black mascara. Don’t remember white eyeshadow unless it was as a highlighter just below the eyebrow. Heavy and thick eyeliner with a flick at the end. Very pale lipstick, eyes were the focus.

Maybe search online for photos from that era - Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, Mary Quant etc?

Dollymac Fri 31-Jan-20 22:16:00

I would echo Jessity's comments to look at images online
I went to a Beatles tribute sixtieth birthday party and wore my daughter's Donna Karan black dress, bouffant hair and very flicked up, bouffant hair
My eyeliner was very flicky too ...

M0nica Fri 31-Jan-20 22:17:36

In agreement with the above. The eyes were all

Maggiemaybe Fri 31-Jan-20 22:20:25

I only started using makeup in 1968/9. We aimed for very pale skin and I remember using white lipstick. A dark eyeshadow in the crease of the eye, black liner and yes, painted on lashes. And painting on freckles/beauty spots with eyebrow pencil (I think that was a short-lived fad). We used to layer up our mascara with talc till they actually looked false. Then wonder why we got frequent eye infections!

KatyK Fri 31-Jan-20 22:22:55

I had black Dusty Springfield eyes and I also wore white or very pale pink lipstick.

cornergran Fri 31-Jan-20 22:25:52

Definitely Dusty Springfield eyes and pale lips. My Dad’s face made it obvious he was unimpressed but he kept quiet grin.

Hetty58 Fri 31-Jan-20 22:35:11

I had pale foundation, thick brown eyeliner, green eye shadow and 'nude' toned lipstick - so basically, lose the mouth and all focus on the eyes. (I must have looked a right state!)

Hetty58 Fri 31-Jan-20 22:36:43

PS - It was a look only the young could ever hope to get away with. How old are you?

BlueSky Fri 31-Jan-20 23:27:33

Same here Cornergran! grin

Chestnut Fri 31-Jan-20 23:33:07

Just what I was thinking Hetty58! ? Not sure I'd attempt looking like Twiggy or Mary Quant now!

rosecarmel Fri 31-Jan-20 23:39:05

Frosted lipstick and nailpolish, white or shades of coral, flicky eyeliner, thick lashes, sky blue eye shadow ..

jacq10 Fri 31-Jan-20 23:43:06

Agree with Hetty58 and KatyK - black eyes and white lipstick. Straightened fringe and hair into Cilla Black style with Sellotape - hair straighteners hadn't been invented!!! Remember my Dad saying to my Mum "you're not letting her go out like that"!!!!!

Alishka Fri 31-Jan-20 23:58:17

Lining the inside of your eyelashes with white pencil? If you're going for the bug-eyed look this has got to be the way to do itgrin

eazybee Sat 01-Feb-20 00:33:23

White eyeshadow, black eyeliner painted on with flicks; false eyelashes; socket line with dark shadow; pale lipstick; false hair piece;
I loved it.

QuaintIrene Sat 01-Feb-20 00:59:47

Two pairs of eyelashes. And lower lashes drawn on.
Those were the days !

GrandmainOz Sat 01-Feb-20 05:03:33

My mum used to iron her hair before a night out !!!

JuliaM Sat 01-Feb-20 05:25:00

Pale pink lipstick, white eyeshadow under the brow line, baby blue on the eye lids with black eyeliner and false lashes, beehive hairdo with a black velvet bow at the back.

If you want to see some good examples, take a look at Gina in the early episodes of the ‘Heartbeat’ Tv soap series, the fashions that she wears are good examples of the Era too.

gmarie Sat 01-Feb-20 05:50:52

Hmm, in California it was green or blue eye shadow, eye liner, dark mascara, and white lipstick. That last one was awful. I'm very light skinned so I looked like a corpse in my 9th grade (1st year of high school) photo! hmm

LullyDully Sat 01-Feb-20 08:17:42

Can you still buy mascara that you have to spit in ???????

Gaunt47 Sat 01-Feb-20 08:27:12

LullyD - oh yes those little solid blocks of something a bit waxy, scrubbing a brush into it and loading the colour onto your eyelashes!
Contouring with face make up: brushing white slightly glittering powder onto cheek bones and brows, darker powder to give you hollows under your cheek bones. Honey magazine would have diagrams to help smile

Daisymae Sat 01-Feb-20 09:12:15

Shiny eyeshadow. Mascara was rubbish. Pink lipstick. Was there a white lipstick or maybe I am hallucinating! I do remember ending up with only one set of fake eyelashes. Not a good look!

NonnaW Sat 01-Feb-20 10:00:23

Thank you ladies! I think I will just settle for eyeliner and lots of mascara. I am 66 so I think I will avoid the more extreme stuff. When I was 16 I used to work with a lady in her forties who always wore white eyeshadow and black liner, so that’s where I got that idea from. I’ve got a wig to wear (don’t have enough hair of my own to go beehive!).

Thank you for all your input and memories.

BlueSky Sat 01-Feb-20 10:22:29

If I remember right the beehive was early sixties and later it was long and straight with a fringe. I had to wear huge rollers to straighten my wavy hair!

annodomini Sat 01-Feb-20 11:23:19

I was glad when the very pale lipstick was out of fashion but two Elizabeth Arden, silver pink and silver coral were my favourites. Arden navy-blue eyeliner suited me best along with plenty of mascara to make the most of my (then) long lashes. I could never grow my fine hair, but back-combed it into a bird's nest anyway!
Those were the days...