Gransnet forums

Chat

1960’s make-up

(36 Posts)
NonnaW Fri 31-Jan-20 21:25:10

Hi ladies, can you help please? I’m going to a 60’s night soon. I’ve got a black & pink shift dress and a black wig to wear, together with a cap type hat, but I can’t remember what sort of eye makeup people wore. I remember false eyelashes, and the Twiggy ‘drawn on’ lower lashes but as I didn’t start buying my own clothes or wearing makeup until 1969 when I left school at 15 1/2 I’m not sure if my memory is wrong. Was white eyeshadow a thing? With black eyeliner? And pale pink lipstick? Obviously, it doesn’t really matter, but having started thinking about it, I’d be interested in any recollections from ladies who were having fun with makeup then. Thanks!

MawB Sat 01-Feb-20 12:07:06

Has somebody mentioned drawing in more (exaggerated) lower eyelashes a la Twiggy? grin

Ealdemodor Sat 01-Feb-20 12:16:58

Remember block mascara? Girls would spit on it (!) to moisten it and then use a miniature brush to apply it.

trisher Sat 01-Feb-20 13:14:56

Bee-hive was very early 60s. I had my hair cut into a bob a la Mary Quant in about 64. Mary Quant make up and clothes were really in. By 68 I was growing it and wearing it straight. Make up was lots of eye make up, with dark in eye crease and lighter on curve of eye, eyeliner and mascara. Pale lipstick.

lemongrove Sat 01-Feb-20 13:18:20

Yes, all the above.?I remember the fake freckles Maggie
As Twiggy had a smattering of them at the time.
I thought I looked great with them ( and my blonde hair in a Twiggy style) until a kind older lady that I worked with asked if I was constipated! She said that she always got those little spots when she needed to ‘go’?

ninathenana Sat 01-Feb-20 13:37:36

Like this ?

trisher Sat 01-Feb-20 14:14:16

That's it but don't think we ever did the eyebrows so much (or I didn't)

3nanny6 Sat 01-Feb-20 14:30:35

NonnaW the picture that Nineathenana has posted is good.

Use some almost white eyeshadow over eyelids up to brow line
then put some false eyelashes on put your eyeliner on and get a brownish eyeshadow to put in the socket crease, underneath draw some lines for your eyelashes and also put some mascara on. Your lips should be almost white lipstick nothing too pinky. Your face should have plenty of what we used to call panstick make-up and it was very pale and I always put a Marilyn Monroe fake brown dot just near my mouth.
Myself and my best friend used to do this and we thought we looked great we were only 13 and a half and when we went to the youth club my father always sent my eldest brother to keep a look out on us and report back any misbehaviour those were the days.

3nanny6 Sat 01-Feb-20 14:36:36

I forgot black and white shift dresses were big in fashion and also white tights and even white fish nets but it had to be small fishnet not big ones. I remember my brothers friends asking me why I had bandages on my legs whenever they saw me in the white tights and I would complain to my mother how I could not stand my brothers friends.

NonnaW Sat 01-Feb-20 21:39:06

Love that photo. I daren't attempt false eyelashes as I’ve never used them and suspect I’d end up with an eyelash halfway down my face sometime in the evening! I don’t think I need pale foundation - I do pale all by myself. smile

I did look around for white tights but couldn’t see any. I might go for black fishnet, or just wimp out and wear 60 denier black tights.

It should be fun anyway. Thanks for all your input Ladies

lemongrove Sat 01-Feb-20 21:41:15

PVC coats and boots ( black or white) were very trendy.