Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kind, caring and sharing kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 01-Feb-20 15:03:09

Here we are again. Happy as can be...all good pals and jolly good company.

Whatever we need to share...feel free to join in. cupcake wine brew flowers smile sunshine

aggie Mon 03-Feb-20 09:34:32

I enjoy Lidl’s custard tarts , luckily I can only get there once a week ?

MawB Mon 03-Feb-20 09:40:03

Thank goodness we don’t all like Custard Tarts- there would never be enough to go round smile

kittylester Mon 03-Feb-20 09:53:50

I love a custard tart but can no longer partake unless I can find gf ones - rare! We found some in a cafe in Thorpeness so I had to have 2 - just to check they were good enough- they were. We've been back a few times and they have not had them again.

I am hoping you have eaten by now, galen. I think I remember you going to respite place after a hospital stay - would that be an option now? Please take care of yourself!

call, I hope you son gets the reassurance he needs and that all goes well for your daughter.

Lovely photos from everyone.

TOYA

morethan2 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:01:41

NannaandGrampy your photograph has really gave my spirits a lift. It’s gorgeous, is it taken on a special camera? Hoping for good news from Callgirl
My poor, poor DiL is suffering so much it’s just so upsetting to see. How her parents are able to bear it I just don’t know. Her sight has almost completely gone. For the first time yesterday I saw raw fear on the 11 years olds face as she jumped up to help her mummy into the living room. Oh dear such horrible sadness. I’m laying in my bed hiding from the kitchen fitter. There’s no running water in the kitchen but a leak from the water tank and my poor husband is struggling in a very small loft trying to fix the stopcock. Please don’t think my life is just full of misery. It’s not, yesterday we all had a good laugh with my DiL and son about who had lost the most hair. I wish you all a reasonably good day.

annsixty Mon 03-Feb-20 10:23:11

morethan flowers flowers flowers

annodomini Mon 03-Feb-20 10:28:52

I may have to take part in the custard tart research. I used to make them myself but as there's no-one at home here now, I haven't made any for a long time and if I did, I'd get even fatter and explode. The night before last I had a very rare visit from DS2 who had come north to see all his old crowd at an engagement party for one of them - a middle aged 'do' and very different from their teenage p**s-ups of yore. DS reached me at a respectable hour - ie before midnight. It was good to see him and sad to have to drop him off at the station next day.
DGD2 is again being recognised for her achievements and is 'student of the week'. How does she fit it all in? That's a rhetorical question to which there is no answer.
I was so tempted to stay in bed this morning. When I closed my eyes, I started to drift off again, despite a full 7 hours. So I forced myself to get up.
Wow! Just spotted a pair of bullfinches in my bare rowan tree. Such spectacular little birds!
Galen, I do hope you are taking all our helpful advice. We care about you.

dragonfly46 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:40:53

Galen hoping your boiler is fixed today and that you manage to eat - if not custard tarts.

I hope your son has good news Call.

What a wonderful GD you have anno.

So sorry to hear that things are so bad Morethan although it is good to half a laugh.

I have just rung the hospital. Having spent 6 hours there on Tuesday evening, the outcome of which was that I would have a direct line fitted in my arm as the veins in my hand have collapsed, I now find that nothing has been done about it and nobody seems to know about it. I now have to wait until Thursday when I see my oncologist to see if one can be fitted by Friday when I have my next chemo.
Up until now I have had really good treatment so this is very disappointing.

Alygran Mon 03-Feb-20 11:13:54

Hello kitcheners.
I have spectacularly failed to dig out the bay tree. It’s much too big a job for me. I have cut it right down and can see the snowdrops that we’re hiding behind it. How did they get there?Will have to get someone in to dig the root out.
Dragonfly sorry to hear the hospital has failed to sort things out for you. DH had a line put in one day and chemo the next so hopefully they can get things organised quickly for you.
Morethan hugs.
No custard tarts here but I do like the Portuguese ones. They were on the breakfast buffet last year in the hotel in Vilamoura.
TOYA

Galen Mon 03-Feb-20 11:44:48

Vaillant have just rung, they’re coming tomorrow. Just hope they’ve got all the bits they need.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 11:45:55

Maw One custard tart is never enough. grin

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 11:54:32

Gorgeous photos from you lot.

Urmstongran I can feel the love between your grandchildren. A very special image of them.

N&G Wow! That photo would win a competition.

GrannyGravy Your photo is also beautiful and tranquil.

Maw I was wondering where Gary is right now. He should be keeping a beady eye on you. You really must take on board some nourishment. Or else!

Charleygirl5 Mon 03-Feb-20 12:00:57

soop and Maw you can have my share- I am in ann's camp.

Morethan my heart goes out to your gd as well as your DiL. A very heartbreaking stressful time for you.

Anneliese we have not heard from you for a while- how is your DH?

The sun peeps out here from time to time- I really must go out to buy some necessities. Morrisons man is delivering tomorrow but I do not trust them with bread and their short use by dates.
TOYA

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 12:04:19

I am a custard lover...and, if i had my wicked way...which I don't, I would eat a bowl full every day. As it is, I have it on special occasions and make the most of the treat.

morethan Lovely lady. flowers

dragonfly That does sound disappointing after all the splendid treatment you've received so far. I trust that the matter will be resolved asap.

Hello again, Alygran. I have never ever tasted a Portugese custard tart. When I lived in Northampton, many long years ago, a shop named Lawrence's made the most mouthwatering cakes on the premises, including custard tarts and lardy cake, which contained more calories than anyone could count, let alone devour.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 12:08:41

anno I feel your justified pride in your granddaughter's achievements.
Bullfinch are spectacular wee birds. We get them visit our garden. At the moment, a gang of hedge sparrows are chattering away at full throttle. MacS loves them (and spoils them) to bits. As he does all the birds who use our garden.

Galen Mon 03-Feb-20 12:51:29

soop I’ve had some soup which Gary got me.
By the way Gary is mine not Maw’s
Well, technically he’s Kate’s, but you know what I mean.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 12:53:32

Ooops! A serious senior moment. Sorry, Galen. grin

Greyduster Mon 03-Feb-20 13:43:11

Hello the brand new kitchen! I thought I had better poke my nose in before people start wondering “who she??”

Soop you sound very chipper and I hope you are mending after your traumas. Teddy is coming on in leaps and bounds!

To add to the Custardgate debate, we, that is GS (who sees himself as an afficianoda in these matters), grandad and I, have voted Morrison’s as the creme de la creme of custard tarts (unless you are fond of pasteis de nata, and who would not be!).

Morethan what a hard road for you all, but if there are little pockets of joy, store them in your hearts ??.

N&G what a superb photo! And I would have loved to have seen your hares. We had them in our valley a few years ago, but they all seem to have disappeared. A local farmer blames badgers confused.

Good luck with the boiler, Galen; the weather, up here at least, is set to get colder!

We had lovely sun this morning, but it has now done a runner. I did, however, manage to do a couple of hours of garden taming, which was very therapeutic. That’s my kit today. School run later. I will try and look in a bit more!
TOYA.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 14:53:26

It is lovely to hear from you, Greyduster.
I awoke today virtually pain-free Bliss!

dragonfly46 Mon 03-Feb-20 15:27:52

Brilliant news soop.

Bellanonna Mon 03-Feb-20 15:39:45

soop ?

chicken Mon 03-Feb-20 15:56:02

Lidl's custard tarts are addictive---I always get us one each on shopping day. Could eat half a dozen but must draw the line somewhere.

Update on my ginger tom,*Baker*---he's still in the vets hospital, now hydrated but has eaten only enough to keep a fly alive. His nasal passages are completely blocked, and his third eyelids are still over his eyes. The vets now say that his symptoms are those of cat flu----which I don't understand as he's fully up to date with all his injections and boosters. It's very worrying.

I've spent all morning at the local hospital having the assessment for cataract surgery. It will probably be done sometime around June. Good job it's quite an early cataract, so the wait won't be too bad. I think the fluorescent eye drops must have gone through the system quite quickly because my pee is now bright lime green!!

chicken Mon 03-Feb-20 16:02:13

soop-- so glad you are pain free.

morethan--I can't imagine how you cope. I so admire your fortitude.

Galen-- glad the boiler men are coming. Let's hope they get it right this time round.

Sorry I can't remember everyone. My poor brain is like me---too old.

soop Mon 03-Feb-20 17:28:41

chicken Your Baker is a tough cookie. I continue to root for him. No doubt he'll be on a course of serious antibiotics.

I've had my right eye cataract done. Splendid result. The left will be "ripe" enough sometime soon. MacS is having his done this summer. Lime green pee - envy Now we'll want some.

Thank you for being chipper re my virtually pain free day. It makes a huge difference. I wish with all my heart that I could share with all of you who need and deserve some too.

Care home visit in the morning. The weather is atrocious. The sea is mountainous. And still the sparrows are singing...bless them.

TOYA smile moon

kittylester Mon 03-Feb-20 18:47:55

Just popping in for a catch up and to escape from DH's brother who is in lurve and boring us to death!!!

kittylester Mon 03-Feb-20 18:49:09

That wasnt kind or caring for soop's kitchen was it - am I sorry - no!!! grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion