Gransnet forums

Chat

So should I lie!

(111 Posts)
Nannytopsy Mon 03-Feb-20 11:35:22

I get that comment too kitty ?

Baggs Mon 03-Feb-20 11:32:29

I think I'd be tempted to tell them that asking you to explain why is rude. And, if you can get your dander up sufficiently, that it's none of their business.

Good luck!

H1954 Mon 03-Feb-20 11:07:49

You could ask " why do you need to know?". It was your choice and you shouldn't feel pressured into explaining why.

aggie Mon 03-Feb-20 11:04:45

In the present climate you could always say you were trying to save the Planet ! ?

Framilode Mon 03-Feb-20 11:01:01

I don't think it's anything to lie about. \if someone asks I would just say 'I'm childfree by choice'.

janeainsworth Mon 03-Feb-20 10:58:37

Yes kitty! I frequently get that toogrin

kittylester Mon 03-Feb-20 10:56:33

Love it janea. Mine just say, 'for God's sake Mother!' in an exasperated sort of way! grin

kittylester Mon 03-Feb-20 10:54:33

No, dont lie! Answer truthfully if asked. And, say that you don't have a maternal bone in your body so thought it was the best option if anyone is rude enough to question you further.

You might also add that you think anyone who asks is being very rude!! And, you can say I think they are rude too!! grin

janeainsworth Mon 03-Feb-20 10:53:39

You could do what my DD does when someone (usually me) asks an inappropriate question.
Assume an annoyed, mildly shocked, haughty facial expression.
Draw yourself up to your full height.
‘That’s personal and private!’

Well it shuts me up anyway grin
For a whilegrin

Oldwoman70 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:42:57

" a question I think is RATHER rude" !!!

Oldwoman70 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:41:55

When meeting new people the conversation usually gets round to children. When I say I don't have children the first question, invariably, is to ask why (a question I think is rarely rude and invasive). I always reply that I didn't want children which usually results in my being treated as weird or a child hater (neither of which is true, alright I may be a little weird!).

If a child wants to smile, wave or talk to me I will smile wave or talk back (provided a parent is present) but I knew at an early age that I don't have a maternal bone in my body. I like children, just didn't want any of my own.

So the question I am asking is, the next time someone asks why I didn't have children should I lie and say I couldn't? Of course that could then lead on to further questions about the "problem"