Gransnet forums

Chat

We all speak English but...

(48 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 04-Feb-20 14:11:10

…do we speak the same language?

Does it sile with rain?
Do you boodle along in your car?
Do you have a mam, a mum, a mom or a mother?
Do you say ‘me’ instead of ‘my’ as in me mam, me dad, me brother?
Do you get nithered when it's cold?
Do you fettle things?

Jessity Tue 04-Feb-20 16:22:01

I probably wouldn’t say siling with rain but would understand the phrase.
My mother/mum would say “Don’t mither me” if she was busy and didn’t want to be disturbed.
Fine fettle when something/somewhere is looking good. Granny would say “That room needs a good fettling” if it needed cleaning or tidying.

“Don’t be mardy” was said if you were threatening tears over something trivial
And “it’s mizzling” is a mix of mist and drizzle.

SueDonim Tue 04-Feb-20 16:34:05

It’s stotting down with rain. (It’s actually sunny right now! sunshine)
I might pootle along in the car, which I’ve just filled up with jalopy juice this afternoon.
My mum is 92.
I get crabbit when it’s cold.
My Dh used to fettle things, in his youth in the senior service.

TwiceAsNice Tue 04-Feb-20 17:57:14

It’s pouring down - raining

Come for a Cwtch - to cuddle or hug

Always Mammy never mummy - 36 year old daughter still calls me mammy - older sister calls me Ma

Pootling - walking or driving at a leisurely pace

Cutting down the gully - a short cut between houses

All from Wales

Sussexborn Tue 04-Feb-20 18:15:40

One of my Dad’s friends, Bunny, was a real Sussex countryman long before they split the county in two. He would say “howamsoever” at the beginning of a sentence.

I heard one mother correcting her son “Don’t say innit, say ain’t it”.

MamaCaz Tue 04-Feb-20 19:03:50

I never say me mum, but I do sometimes say mi mum, where the letter i is pronounced in a way (like 'i' in igloo that those not acquainted with it might wrongly hear as 'me'.

Grammaretto Tue 04-Feb-20 19:35:57

Drookit is pouring with rain hereabouts, and the wetness you feel.
Tootling in the car. when you're not stuck in traffic.
Ma or mummy or mum
When cold I'm icy, nithered is new to me.
Fettling is finishing off when clay modelling.

gulligranny Tue 04-Feb-20 19:57:30

None of the original post.

I pootle in my car, I mooch round shops
If I'm not having my shower until later, I'll have a cat's lick and a promise
If I had a cold my mum (never me man, me mammy etc) would say I had a snotty Oliver
My house gets cleaned (sometimes)
It pittles down with rain, often when it's as black as my grandfather's hat
Thanks to 10 years in Glasgow, if I can't make up my mind I swither

MiniMoon Tue 04-Feb-20 20:04:14

Me mam and dad brought us up
Me sisters and I were their bairns.
We used to run down the gantry to visit our aunty and uncle.
It's been a grand day, but tomorrow it might be mizzling.
I'm in fine fettle tonight.
When I go out for a walk I have to be careful not to get all clarty, especially after it's been stottin' doon with rain.
You'll have to excuse me now I need to visit the netty.

DoraMarr Tue 04-Feb-20 21:01:11

My late mother- in-law came from Fife, and she had a lot of lovely expressions. Slippers were ‘baffies’, onions were ‘ingins’, plates ‘ashetts’ and she didn’t go for a stroll she went for a ‘donder.’

SirChenjin Tue 04-Feb-20 21:04:06

An ingin an aw grin Very roughly translated it means ‘an onion with that as well’ DoraMarr smile

Urmstongran Tue 04-Feb-20 21:16:43

How is ‘Cwtch’ actually pronounced TwiceAsNice? I wouldn’t know how to even begin to tackle it!

Love the word ‘donder’ DoraMarr.
?

paddyanne Tue 04-Feb-20 21:19:39

enamel pie dishes are Ashete's used for making traditional steak pie which to my English son inlaw's horror only have a top crust .Supposedly the name comes from the french assiette (?) and has been in use in Scotland since Mary Queen of Scots time and before

PECS Tue 04-Feb-20 21:26:40

Good to know that dialects are still in regular use. At one time many people were a bit 'sniffy' about dialects and accents. Numbers of people went to great lengths to learn to speak with 'received pronunciation' because of that attitude.
Life would be dull if we were all the same...

agnurse Tue 04-Feb-20 21:32:15

Here in Canada, we usually call a winter hat a toque (pronounced took, but the "oo" is long, as in "too" or "boo"). My brother was telling me that years ago, he was watching a Canadian comedian. The guy was saying that people from the U.S. don't understand the word toque. It's as if they just stop hearing you. So when you say to an American, "Could you please pass me my toque", what they effectively hear is, "Could you please pass me my bleep".

Grammaretto Tue 04-Feb-20 21:52:50

MiL fae Edinburgh, uses ashets too Paddyanne for any large serving dish.
Baffies, definitely slippers.
Clarty for dirty, filthy
In a guddle for in a mucky state. referring to your house.
Bairns and weans.
She's almost 95 and has all the words.

paddyanne Tue 04-Feb-20 22:11:46

Manky ,minging (although JK made it popular much further afield) glaikit ,dreich,.I got a set of placemats made up with old Scots words for my cousin in Canada and they loved them .They hadn't been here as they were born after my aunt emigrated in the 50's .Spurred them on though and they came over almost 60 years after she left.Sadly all her siblings were long gone

SirChenjin Tue 04-Feb-20 22:21:25

agnurse I love hearing the Canadian ‘about’ as it’s pronounced in a very similar way to the way we pronounce it here in parts of Scotland - sort of ‘aboot’. I don’t know if it’s right across Canada but I wonder if it’s a throwback to Scottish settlers?

paddyanne Tue 04-Feb-20 22:53:50

SirChenjin where my cousins live in Canada is surrounded by places named after west coast of Scotland Towns and villages They were quite surprised by how many names of places they knew even tiny wee hamlets like Arnprior ,theres a huge Scottish contingent in that area

pinkquartz Tue 04-Feb-20 23:02:20

Some people are nesh

and mardy

I learned these two while living in Derby

oh and pot washing.

LullyDully Wed 05-Feb-20 08:08:28

Cwtch is pronounced cutch. In outhouse thickened with the cosy chair was always the cwtch. In Birmingham they talk about about " going all round the Wrekin", like "all round the houses".

We lived in Jamaica for a few years. Avocados are pear, potatoes are Irish and kidney beans are red peas. It drives our GC mad.

sodapop Wed 05-Feb-20 08:38:21

When we first moved to Suffolk the older local people would say "it's funny raining" meaning its raining heavily.
In Hull my in laws had a ten foot beside their house which was an alley way.

SirChenjin Wed 05-Feb-20 09:04:04

paddyanne it's fascinating to see the spread of the settlers and the fact that so many of them haven't moved far from where their ancestors settled. I've got family in Nova Scotia and there's a strong connection to Scotland from there.